• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
kjw25

Buyout

Rate this topic

1 minute ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Wait doesn't the CBA expire in 2020 season. I thought that was why they moved my hometown Seattle boys opening season to 2021?

Nope, pretty sure it's 2022. 2020 would mean we'd be getting tons and tons of articles about it right now.

14 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Your Abby hatred seems personal. And way over the top.

And no, it would be stupid to buy him out. As much as fans complain about his salary, no one associated with the organization seems to have a problem with it. He's well liked by management, coaches, and teammates. They won't buy him out even with a year left on his contract. He's a Wing for life. Sorry haters.

I wouldn't consider it hatred, I am sure he is a nice person. I am upset that he is terrible and is grossly over paid on a team that needs to remove dead wood in order to move forward. It appears your love for Abby is way over the top, perhaps you are Abby??

6 minutes ago, kjw25 said:

I wouldn't consider it hatred, I am sure he is a nice person. I am upset that he is terrible and is grossly over paid on a team that needs to remove dead wood in order to move forward. It appears your love for Abby is way over the top, perhaps you are Abby??

No, I'm Justin

4 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Nielsen wears an A as well. So what? There will be plenty of leaders in that dressing room in 2-3 years time. Abdelkader won't be needed for his "leadership"... Wearing an "A" shouldn't mean s***. If a player isn't performing, and is a hindrance to his team, the coach should scratch him. If that player that the coach is scratching is making a huge amount of money, the GM should buy him out. Simple as that.

Troy Brouwer is a very similar player (probably slightly better), same age, and was in a very similar situation in Calgary last year. He was one of the alternate captains playing in the bottom six, making way too much money ($4.5M). He was bought out with 2 years remaining on his contract. That's exactly what the Wings should look to do with Abdelkader in 2-3 years time. Brouwer signed a one year contract with Florida worth $850K. That's what players like he and Abby should be making...

Sure. The problem is, Abdelkader is a 4th liner now, and probably won't even be that throughout the next 4 years...

Just giving my thoughts on what I think will happen, or not happen. Doesnt mean I personally agree or disagree with it. If there was an option to buyout without penalty, I would consider it. There isnt. 

47 minutes ago, kjw25 said:

No love for Abby here. Just a more balanced opinion of him. Abby isnt the only one not living up to his contract and/or is overpaid. But Abby is the only one u fixate on.

5 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Nielsen? Possibly.

Abby? No. He wears an "A". And he wears it for a reason. Regardless of who the GM is, he's not getting bought out. In 4 years, with salary inflation, his contract wont be out of line with what 3rd liners make. No reason to buy him out then.

Because he's an A-hole?  

4 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Just giving my thoughts on what I think will happen, or not happen. Doesnt mean I personally agree or disagree with it. If there was an option to buyout without penalty, I would consider it. There isnt. 

If there's an option to buy him out without penalty (amnesty buyout), I'd do it without hesitation.

That option might be available after the next lockout... 

The thing is, even with a regular buyout, the penalty isn't that significant in the final year (or two) of the contract. Buying him out this summer, or next would be a big mistake, but I think it could be a viable option in 2-3 years from now.

Cap hit on a buy-out with 2 years remaining...

2021-22 - $2.25M

2022-23 - $2.25M

2023-24 - $1M

2024-25 - $1M

Cap hit on a buy-out with 1 year remaining...

2022-23 - $2.25M

2023-24 - $1M

The cap-hit is very manageable, it doesn't last for infinity years, and it gives you roster flexibility going forward...

1 minute ago, krsmith17 said:

If there's an option to buy him out without penalty (amnesty buyout), I'd do it without hesitation.

That option might be available after the next lockout... 

The thing is, even with a regular buyout, the penalty isn't that significant in the final year (or two) of the contract. Buying him out this summer, or next would be a big mistake, but I think it could be a viable option in 2-3 years from now.

Cap hit on a buy-out with 2 years remaining...

2021-22 - $2.25M

2022-23 - $2.25M

2023-24 - $1M

2024-25 - $1M

Cap hit on a buy-out with 1 year remaining...

2022-23 - $2.25M

2023-24 - $1M

The cap-hit is very manageable, it doesn't last for infinity years, and it gives you roster flexibility going forward...

Nielsen would get bought out before Abby. Hes older, an outsider, and isnt a Michigan boy.

6 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Nielsen would get bought out before Abby. Hes older, an outsider, and isnt a Michigan boy.

Which I'd be fine with. I'm not saying we MUST buyout Abdelkader. Just that if we need cap space and / or a roster spot, the option is there. Also, anything longer than 2 years, I wouldn't do it. So no, I wouldn't buy out Abby this summer.

Not sure if this is well known or not, but I find these NTC terms interesting.
Here is Abbys:
CLAUSE DETAILS: NTC in 2016-17 to 2019-20; Modified NTC in 2020-21 to 2022-23 (If Detroit misses playoffs or Abdelkader is not among the Top 9 F in TOI, he can be traded to any team - clause resets in each of the last 3 years)

Here is Helm's

CLAUSE DETAILS: Full NTC throughout (2018-19: NTC may be voided between June 15, 2019 & 2019-20 NHL Trade deadline, if player is not in the Top 9 F in TOI, or if team does not qualify for the playoffs | 2019-20: NTC may be voided between June 15, 2020 & final day of the contract, if player is not in the Top 9 F in TOI, or if team does not qualify for the playoffs)

Nielsen has a modified 10 team no trade list starting this season

Ericsson has a M-NTC starting this season that allows him to submit a 19 no trade list!

DeKeyser has a NTC until the season after next where he has a 10 team no trade clause like Nielsen.

Daley has a NTC until next season. It is modified 10 days before the trade deadline where he can supply a 15 team no trade list (Wow! he could put damn near every playoff team making it impossible for us to trade him next season if he wanted to!)

Source: CapFriendly.com

I have a question if anyone knows the answer to it:
 Can we trade Abby whilst retaining part of his cap hit on our books for the remainder of his contract? For example, this year when we traded Nyquist we retained something like 1.25mil so his salary would fit in SJ's cap. Can we do that, but for multiple seasons if we can find a trade partner to take him for say, half his salary?

5 minutes ago, martyrme19 said:

I have a question if anyone knows the answer to it:
Can we trade Abby whilst retaining part of his cap hit on our books for the remainder of his contract? For example, this year when we traded Nyquist we retained something like 1.25mil so his salary would fit in SJ's cap. Can we do that, but for multiple seasons if we can find a trade partner to take him for say, half his salary?

Yes. You can retain up to 50% of the cap hit on any contract in a trade, regardless how long the contract is.

On 4/4/2019 at 8:58 AM, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Nielsen? Possibly.

Abby? No. He wears an "A". And he wears it for a reason. Regardless of who the GM is, he's not getting bought out. In 4 years, with salary inflation, his contract wont be out of line with what 3rd liners make. No reason to buy him out then.

Exactly. Abby isn't going anywhere. He's been a Wing since what? 2008? One of the longest serving players on the team along with Howard, Helm, Ericsson, and Kronwall (who may be done). He's very active in media relations and in the community as well. He'll retire a Wing I figure.

On 4/4/2019 at 1:08 AM, Krayzie_Bone said:

If they did not buy out Ericsson no way they will waste it on abby. He brings something to the team even though he is way over paid. He never was a goal scorer and since Holland over paid for him everyone expected him to be something he is not. I would buy out Nielsen's contract first.

Honestly though, good for Ericsson. For a guy to get drafted last overall, use his sub par talent to get into the nhl to (at the time) a Stanley cup contender, and somehow weasel 40 million dollars out of said team when never even being a 3rd dman is an amazing feat of conmanship. Good for him, I wish I could make it on an nhl team (I'd be worse than ericsson) and get 40 mil out of them lmao

4 hours ago, chaps80 said:

Exactly. Abby isn't going anywhere. He's been a Wing since what? 2008? One of the longest serving players on the team along with Howard, Helm, Ericsson, and Kronwall (who may be done). He's very active in media relations and in the community as well. He'll retire a Wing I figure.

If it were up to Ken Holland I would probably agree. However, I think that decision will be Steve Yzerman's to make, and as we've seen in Tampa, he has no problem making tough decisions getting rid of players, no matter how long they've been with the organization or what they've done in the past. Martin St. Louis spent his whole career in Tampa (minus a few games at the beginning of his career in Calgary), and Yzerman shipped him off to New York, because his team was heading in a different direction. If he can do that with a future Hall-of-famer, I'm sure he'd have no problem doing it with a scrub like Abdelkader...

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

If it were up to Ken Holland I would probably agree. However, I think that decision will be Steve Yzerman's to make, and as we've seen in Tampa, he has no problem making tough decisions getting rid of players, no matter how long they've been with the organization or what they've done in the past. Martin St. Louis spent his whole career in Tampa (minus a few games at the beginning of his career in Calgary), and Yzerman shipped him off to New York, because his team was heading in a different direction. If he can do that with a future Hall-of-famer, I'm sure he'd have no problem doing it with a scrub like Abdelkader...

Exactly why we need Stevie Y in the worst way. Tired of the overpaid wing for life nonsense. Perform or cut bait.