• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Dabura

9/27 Preseason GDT - Maple Leafs @ Red Wings - 7:30 PM EST

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, Dabura said:

Sorry for no liveblogging. Medical emergency in the family. I might be less present here indefinitely. Or maybe I'll be posting even more frequently to keep my mind off things.

Peace

Sorry to hear that Dabura, best wishes to you and your family. 

13 hours ago, Dabura said:

That, and I think he also needs to get stronger in his legs and upper body. I'd expected to see more power and explosiveness in his skating stride after what I'd assumed was going to be a very intense summer of Rocky montage training. Anecdotally, I haven't seen it. I was also expecting him to be or at least *look* better equipped to handle the pushing and shoving and boxing-out and grinding and headhunting of the pro game. Anecdotally, I haven't seen that. (Skating is part of it.) There've been times where he's narrowly avoided a big hit and I've felt my heart skip a beat because I was honestly afraid he was about to have his spine snapped, Bane style.

Same. His pace is still a little behind too. Unsurprisingly I don't think Veleno is ready either and will be looking forward to watching him on the Griffins.

I assume Hirose makes the team, but boy I'd love to see Svech make it. Just want to see the kid get a win tbh, must've sucked to have been injured for an entire season, especially considering I thought he looked really good last preseason prior to the injury. 

2 hours ago, Dabura said:

Sorry for no liveblogging. Medical emergency in the family. I might be less present here indefinitely. Or maybe I'll be posting even more frequently to keep my mind off things.

Peace

Sorry to hear this, much love friend. 

Edited by Wheelchairsuperhero

6 hours ago, Dabura said:

Peace

Sorry to hear Dabs... Best wishes to you and your fam!

9 hours ago, solarion said:

Puljujärvi

You mean you'd really give up a 6th overall for a 4th overall? That's big of you. lol

At least Jesse isn't so easy to push around.

Neither player is/was worthy of their draft position... if we'd have snagged Zadina as a 2nd rounder and he looked this terrible/lost/over matched it would sting a bit.  But to wiff this bad at #6 in s full on rebuild hurts A LOT!

1 hour ago, mackel said:

Neither player is/was worthy of their draft position... if we'd have snagged Zadina as a 2nd rounder and he looked this terrible/lost/over matched it would sting a bit.  But to wiff this bad at #6 in s full on rebuild hurts A LOT!

After seeing how "terrible" Zadina has been in training camp / pre-season, what do you project for him short-term (this season) and long-term (career)?

8 hours ago, Dabura said:

Peace

Sorry to hear Dabura. Will direct some of the HYPE! in your and your family’s way. 

10 hours ago, Dabura said:

Peace

sorry to hear that, keep your head up and my best wishes to you and your family

3 hours ago, mackel said:

We will see if he is as bad as you try to make us believe. None of the picks from Zadina on are NHL ready, we still have to wait and see whats with Quintin Hughes.

Zadina wasn´t bad, the expectations are probably a little to high. All you hear about him is "he´s hard on himself and working hard". The rest will come, he´s got a pretty good toolset and will play with some really good players in GR. If he doesn´t play a real good season in GR this year I might start wondering if it was a mistake to pick him, but not before that.

The Zadina hype was a bit over the top and now the Zadina bashing is a bit overblown. He hasn't been terrible, he's been mostly invisible. I don't see him making a lot of really stupid plays, he's just not executing. You can tell he's peeved at himself for not chipping in. His body language screams "frustrated". That's a whole lot better than detached or lazy. I firmly believe he'll come around...it's just going to take time. 

3 minutes ago, ely s said:

We will see if he is as bad as you try to make us believe. None of the picks from Zadina on are NHL ready, we still have to wait and see whats with Quintin Hughes.

Zadina wasn´t bad, the expectations are probably a little to high. All you hear about him is "he´s hard on himself and working hard". The rest will come, he´s got a pretty good toolset and will play with some really good players in GR. If he doesn´t play a real good season in GR this year I might start wondering if it was a mistake to pick him, but not before that.

I think it's worth noting that Larkin is the only Wings prospect in recent memory who was ready to rock & roll one year after being drafted. (Correct me if I'm wrong.) And that was only because his skating was ludicrously overpowered. It was so overpowered, in fact, that it masked deficiencies in his game which were exposed in his sophomore year, leading him to struggle in that season, which in turn led some to wonder if the real Larkin was merely a pretty good winger. Most of us have had similar doubts about Mantha, Athanasiou, and Bertuzzi at one point or another, but they all seem to be rounding into form now and becoming the players we'd hoped we were getting when we drafted them. It just took them a while to put themselves together.

QHughes versus Zadina is looking like it could be a worthwhile discussion this season. But even if Hughes has a big rookie campaign in the NHL this season, I'd expect him to hit a wall next season a la Larkin. He's a phenomenal skater with great offensive instincts and great playmaking ability. At the same time, his game is weighted overwhelmingly towards offense (the argument can be made that he's one-dimensional) and he'll probably have to put in a lot of work to grow his game if he wants to be more than a Torey Krug type at the NHL level.

It kinda sucks that Kotkaniemi and Tkachuk already have a full NHL season under their belts, but they were taken before Zadina and I don't think it came as a huge shock that they were more NHL-ready. Though, either one probably would've spent last season outside the NHL if we had drafted him.

Jurco was a regular with the Wings really quickly...perhaps a year and change between draft and a roster spot. Obviously that didn't end the way we all would have liked, though injuries were a factor. Who knows, maybe Zadina just needs to start the season in a Griffin's sweater to get his head right and he'll be much improved as a call up. Definitely odd that he seemed better last year. 

14 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

After seeing how "terrible" Zadina has been in training camp / pre-season, what do you project for him short-term (this season) and long-term (career)?

This season... long stretches without goals, goals in bunches but in meaningless ways like add-on goals, empty netters, or goals in 6-1 type losses.

Long term ceiling underwhelming middle 6 winger, floor KHL.

6 hours ago, mackel said:

This season... long stretches without goals, goals in bunches but in meaningless ways like add-on goals, empty netters, or goals in 6-1 type losses.

Long term ceiling underwhelming middle 6 winger, floor KHL.

Bold predictions...

This season:

Half season in GR - nearly point per game player (35 points in 38 games).

Half season in DET - nearly half a point per game player (17 points in 41 games).

Long-term:

Ceiling - elite top line winger (70-80 points per season).

Floor - 2nd line winger (40-50 points per season).

19 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Bold predictions...

This season:

Half season in GR - nearly point per game player (35 points in 38 games).

Half season in DET - nearly half a point per game player (17 points in 41 games).

Long-term:

Ceiling - elite top line winger (70-80 points per season).

Floor - 2nd line winger (40-50 points per season).

No comment on the season, especially because I do agree the Wings will call him up. Just don't know when.

My ceiling and floor is shifted probably 10-20 lower than yours. I think we have another Hudler/Filppula/Tatar/Nyquist on our hands. Good player, not a needle pusher.

6 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

No comment on the season, especially because I do agree the Wings will call him up. Just don't know when.

My ceiling and floor is shifted probably 10-20 lower than yours. I think we have another Hudler/Filppula/Tatar/Nyquist on our hands. Good player, not a needle pusher.

I don't think he will ever carry a line the way a Kucherov can, but I do think he will be a key cog in this team's top six. He will need a quality center (Larkin or Veleno) that can get him the puck in scoring areas. His confidence is at an all time low right now, but once he gets that swagger back (I believe he will), he will "fill their nets with pucks"...

4 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

I don't think he will ever carry a line the way a Kucherov can, but I do think he will be a key cog in this team's top six. He will need a quality center (Larkin or Veleno) that can get him the puck in scoring areas. His confidence is at an all time low right now, but once he gets that swagger back (I believe he will), he will "fill their nets with pucks"...

I need to stop trashing him. Sending good vibes to Z. Become the player you were drafted to be.