• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

ely s

2021 Draft

Rate this topic

NHL draft-eligible Chaz Lucius is more than his goal scoring

“I think he’s like God’s gift to the Earth. No bulls***, no coach speak, his mindset is on another planet. He’s not human. I’ve never seen it. He’s the Tom Brady of 17-year-olds,” Hengen said. “As a coach you’re like ‘whoa, maybe I should be doing what he’s doing.’”

“In our mind, he’s the top guy. Chaz was the best goal scorer in the age group and he still is. Some things don’t change. He’s the alpha when he steps onto the ice,” Hengen said. “And he’s a 24/7 guy. You don’t come across those hardly ever. He’s on a level that we don’t see.”

“When he came back, his ability to create offense both with his shot and his playmaking ability, it really stood out to me from Day 1. He’s got a great sense of where to go and there are a lot of little things he does once he has entered the zone, whether it’s entering the zone or once the team has established possession, just to get himself open,” Muse said.

“Then you combine that offensive sense with really great hands, the shot from distance, the shot in tight, and it’s just a really threatening combination. He’s a really fun player to work with.”

“My goal scoring is definitely the top of the line in this draft and I know it’s that,” he said. “And then I’ve also got puck protection skills. I’m 6-foot-1, 185 pounds, and I use that to get down low and get into tight areas to not only score from the top of the circles with my shot but also to score down low. And then with my passing abilities and with my transition game, I can find the open guy.”

“Nothing surprises me with him because his work ethic is incredible. You just watch him play this electrifying, offensive, upbeat style and he has grown into his body over the years and he’s a force,” Quinn said.

But there’s something else that does too.

“When you talk to him, you get the impression very quickly that he’s not your average teenager by any stretch,” Quinn said. “Chaz is all business.”

Pros: Center. Righthanded. Goalscorer. Cool name.
Cons: Skating(might be long term injury related). Defense.

2 hours ago, Akakabuto said:

I have a feeling if we go off the board it’ll be mctavish( and just to piss some ppl off , no i dont think taking wallstedt would be off the board haha )

2 hours ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

I have a feeling if we go off the board it’ll be mctavish( and just to piss some ppl off , no i dont think taking wallstedt would be off the board haha )

I’m not sure there is such a thing as ”off the board” in this draft.

If a guy have been projected - by journalists and people not good enough at scouting to get an actual scouting job with an NHL franchise - to go in the top 20 he very much is on the board, I think. 

7 hours ago, Akakabuto said:

Was just about to do a post about him. Against all logic, something in my gut is telling me he's right near the very top of the Wings' list. I'll go ahead and say that if we do "reach" with or trade down from 6OA, it'll be for Lucius. McTavish (sort of a reach but not really) or Lucius. That's my gut feeling hot take.

5 hours ago, Akakabuto said:

I’m not sure there is such a thing as ”off the board” in this draft.

If a guy have been projected - by journalists and people not good enough at scouting to get an actual scouting job with an NHL franchise - to go in the top 20 he very much is on the board, I think. 

I meant from our draft position being 6 , sure after taking seider with stevie anything is possible but before the tournament mctavish had he wasnt in the conversation of being in the top 10 thats all i meant and i dont know if im all sold on the guy in a short sample season ... course wtf do i know

For me at 6 im Assuming (course know one ever knows till draft day) power,beniers,edvinsson,hughes is gone it leaves us with a possibility of one of wallstedt,guenther,clarke,eklund being a redwing imo but again who knows 

9 hours ago, F.Michael said:

What makes Chaz Lucius more intriguing than  Kent Johnson?

Forgive my ignorance since I know next to nothing about these prospects.

Where Johnson (LHC/W) is more a playmaker than he is a finisher, Lucius (RHC/W) is a pure goal-scorer. Lucius's skating and defensive game are lacking, but his scoring prowess is undeniable. Like Johnson, Lucius has great hands and a flair for the dramatic. He missed most of this season due to an injury, but his 2019-20 season was outstanding and he was great in the dozen games he played this season.

So, yeah, there's some risk with Lucius. But, as a Wings fan, I really like the potential reward, which is a flashy, exciting, RH goal-scoring 1C/2C.

Edited by Dabura

13 hours ago, F.Michael said:

What makes Chaz Lucius more intriguing than  Kent Johnson?

Forgive my ignorance since I know next to nothing about these prospects.

I just stumbled upon this article and liked what I saw. I have really no idea how they compare. 

3 hours ago, Dabura said:

Where Johnson (LHC/W) is more a playmaker than he is a finisher, Lucius (RHC/W) is a pure goal-scorer. Lucius's skating and defensive game are lacking, but his scoring prowess is undeniable. Like Johnson, Lucius has great hands and a flair for the dramatic. He missed most of this season due to an injury, but his 2019-20 season was outstanding and he was great in the dozen games he played this season.

So, yeah, there's some risk with Lucius. But, as a Wings fan, I really like the potential reward, which is a flashy, exciting, RH goal-scoring 1C/2C.

Thanks for the info.

While I feel skating is important - sometimes it’s prioritized over other important assets such as offensive prowess in the forms of shooting and creativity.

11 hours ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

I meant from our draft position being 6 , sure after taking seider with stevie anything is possible but before the tournament mctavish had he wasnt in the conversation of being in the top 10 thats all i meant and i dont know if im all sold on the guy in a short sample season ... course wtf do i know

For me at 6 im Assuming (course know one ever knows till draft day) power,beniers,edvinsson,hughes is gone it leaves us with a possibility of one of wallstedt,guenther,clarke,eklund being a redwing imo but again who knows 

My point is that people shouldn't get upset if Yzerman picks someone not even discussed in the top 10 leading up to the draft. Nobody knows how this is going to shake out. It's a weird year and the players that gets the most talk are the ones who played the most games that scout could actually watch.

Edited by Akakabuto