• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

ely s

2021 Draft

Rate this topic

3 hours ago, TLGTrico said:

It's really annoying how every year on this forum people incorrectly assume that the order in which your eliminated from from the playoffs affects your draft position.  In reality, unless you make the final 4 your draft position is determined by the standings and nothing else.  As of right now, the Capitals' pick can be no higher than 22.

The basic order of the picks is determined as follows:[9]

1. The teams that did not qualify for the playoffs the previous season (picks 1–16)
  2. The teams that made the playoffs in the previous season but did not win either their division in the regular season or play in the Conference Finals (picks 17–24 up to 28)
  3. The teams that won their divisions in the previous season but did not play in the Conference Finals (potentially picks 25–28)
  4. The teams that lose in Conference Finals (picks 29 and 30)
  5. The team that was the runner-up in the Stanley Cup Finals (pick 31)
  6. The team that won the Stanley Cup in the previous season (pick 32)

The Caps fall into the 2nd group.

13 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

The basic order of the picks is determined as follows:[9]

1. The teams that did not qualify for the playoffs the previous season (picks 1–16)
  2. The teams that made the playoffs in the previous season but did not win either their division in the regular season or play in the Conference Finals (picks 17–24 up to 28)
  3. The teams that won their divisions in the previous season but did not play in the Conference Finals (potentially picks 25–28)
  4. The teams that lose in Conference Finals (picks 29 and 30)
  5. The team that was the runner-up in the Stanley Cup Finals (pick 31)
  6. The team that won the Stanley Cup in the previous season (pick 32)

The Caps fall into the 2nd group.

This pick would be ideal to.use on Cossa!

I say this every year, but...whichever player we take with our first pick in this draft is probably going to more or less wrap up the drafting portion of our rebuild effort at [insert given player's position]. And that's assuming the pick is 6-8OA. (I'm assuming the pick is 6-8OA.)

If it's William Eklund? We're either loaded on the wing or set at center.

If it's Kent Johnson or Chaz Lucius? Same as above.

Jesper Wallstedt or Sebastian Cossa? Goalie pipeline problem resolved.

If you put Luke Hughes/Simon Edvinsson/Carson Lambos on Moritz Seider's left side? That's a monster pairing.

If Seider or Brandt Clarke can play the left side? Same as above.

It's gonna be interesting.

Also, I'll just put this out there: Jim Benning and Chuck Fletcher are looking to make some moves and they own picks ~9 and ~14, respectively (subject to change).

2 minutes ago, Dabura said:

I say this every year, but...whichever player we take with our first pick in this draft is probably going to more or less wrap up the drafting portion of our rebuild effort at [insert given player's position]. And that's assuming the pick is 6-8OA. (I'm assuming the pick is 6-8OA.)

If it's William Eklund? We're either loaded on the wing or set at center.

If it's Kent Johnson or Chaz Lucius? Same as above.

Jesper Wallstedt or Sebastian Cossa? Goalie pipeline problem resolved.

If you put Luke Hughes/Simon Edvinsson/Carson Lambos on Moritz Seider's left side? That's a monster pairing.

If Seider or Brandt Clarke can play the left side? Same as above.

It's gonna be interesting.

Also, I'll just put this out there: Jim Benning and Chuck Fletcher are looking to make some moves and they own picks ~9 and ~14, respectively (subject to change).

Washington's pick for Louie Ericsson and 9OA? No? Throw in Cholowski? No? 

53 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Washington's pick for Louie Ericsson and 9OA? No? Throw in Cholowski? No? 

Sadly no chance of that happening , eriksson’s actual salary will be 4 million next season while staal was 4.2 so its pretty much a 2nd for louie at this point if we take him

We’d have to decide if its worth the 41st this year or 2022 2nd 

14 minutes ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

Sadly no chance of that happening , eriksson’s actual salary will be 4 million next season while staal was 4.2 so its pretty much a 2nd for louie at this point if we take him

We’d have to decide if its worth the 41st this year or 2022 2nd 

cap hit's closer to 5. but yeah. not happening/ 

5 hours ago, ely s said:

his cap hit is $6m. capfriendly shows less because he´s on the taxi squad

Staal was 5.7 so basically same situation now sadly with louie only having 1 season left . We’d have to decide if a 2nd is worth taking him on ... you could argue it could be cause he’d make us worse and better our odds for wright

10 hours ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

Staal was 5.7 so basically same situation now sadly with louie only having 1 season left . We’d have to decide if a 2nd is worth taking him on ... you could argue it could be cause he’d make us worse and better our odds for wright

I'll take free 2nd rounders for just about anything. Don't re-sign Gagner or Ryan and just let him wallow on the 4th line for all I care.

1 hour ago, TLGTrico said:

The Isles beating Pittsburgh improves the Caps' pick from 26 to 25.

By my math they should be at #22.  There was an article today where Helene St. James said that since Washington was beat out early, the Wings can finish no lower than 24th.  Isles won = 23, Tampa won = 22.  ??.  We would pass both Pitts and Florida since Pittsburgh won the division and Florida finished with more points than Washington. I just looked at it again and we should be at 24 right now but if any teams that finished lower than Washington reach the conference finals (Boston, NYI) then we would gain another spot. I would still be happy with 24.  I was worried the Caps would have a long playoff run.

Edited by Noodles22

35 minutes ago, Noodles22 said:

By my math they should be at #22.  There was an article today where Helene St. James said that since Washington was beat out early, the Wings can finish no lower than 24th.  Isles won = 23, Tampa won = 22.  ??.  We would pass both Pitts and Florida since Pittsburgh won the division and Florida finished with more points than Washington. I just looked at it again and we should be at 24 right now but if any teams that finished lower than Washington reach the conference finals (Boston, NYI) then we would gain another spot. I would still be happy with 24.  I was worried the Caps would have a long playoff run.

By my estimation, 26 was the worst case scenario before tonight

Just now, TLGTrico said:

You said that they moved to 25 after Pittsburgh lost.  Do you know if they gained another spot after Florida lost?  All I have read everywhere is that we should be hoping any division winners or teams with better records than Washington lose so they gain spots.  It is so confusing.

Just now, Noodles22 said:

You said that they moved to 25 after Pittsburgh lost.  Do you know if they gained another spot after Florida lost?  All I have read everywhere is that we should be hoping any division winners or teams with better records than Washington lose so they gain spots.  It is so confusing.

Florida's loss doesn't affect the pick because Carolina finished higher than Washington and there still alive.

3 hours ago, TLGTrico said:

The Isles beating Pittsburgh improves the Caps' pick from 26 to 25.

Caps pick was already 25 due to Arizona forfeiting their pick. If anything with the NYI victory it should be 24th OA now.

1 hour ago, TLGTrico said:

Technically it would be 25 as the worst possible with Arizona forfeiting their pick. Basically any team below Arizona climbs one spot.

12 hours ago, TLGTrico said:

Washington had the 7th best record which would have been #26, lost to Boston #25, Winnipeg advanced #24, Islanders advanced #23 and Tampa makes it #22.

Let´s hope that Minnesota,Nashville(possible) and Montreal(unlikely) advance as well and we might end up with #19

Uh no.  Boston beating Washington didn't move the pick up, it just kept it at 26.  The only way Winnipeg affects the pick is by making the final 4.  Tampa beating Florida also doesn't affect the pick because Carolina can still make the final 4.

Edited by TLGTrico

On 5/26/2021 at 8:39 AM, Gniwder said:

I'll take free 2nd rounders for just about anything. Don't re-sign Gagner or Ryan and just let him wallow on the 4th line for all I care.

I find it laughable that we even entertain the thought of resigning gagner  ... ryan can take a hike as well ... veleno can start here but id send him to grand rapids till the deadline and make another spot for a komarov or whomever 

f*** id take that trainwreck jarry off the pens for two years for a 22 1st and let bernier run along (im sure the fans would love that one) 

Adding picks/prospects Next two seasons will be huge for us , after that i can see us turning it around ... as much as i f***en love bertuzzi and would keep him here longterm and see him as a playoff warrior and would trade vrana over him in a heartbeat i also think especially with his recent back issue if hes healthy all season and performs fans shouldnt be too shocked if hes moved for another 22 1st + 

Changes are coming

Edited by nyqvististhefuture

2 minutes ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

I find it laughable that we even entertain the thought of resigning gagner  ... ryan can take a hike as well ... veleno can start here but id send him to grand rapids till the deadline and make another spot for a komarov or whomever 

f*** id take that trainwreck jarry off the pens for two years for a 22 1st and let bernier run along (im sure the fans would love that one) 

Adding picks/prospects Next two seasons will be huge for us , after that i can see us turning it around ... as much as i f***en love bertuzzi and would keep him here longterm and see him as a playoff warrior over this team and would trade vrana over him in a heartbeat i also think especially with his recent back issue if hes healthy all season and performs fans shouldnt be too shocked if hes moved for another 22 1st + 

Changes are coming

Ryan wouldn't be a bad re-sign. He would garner more interest this TDL if healthy. I just don't think he wants to do another 1 year/TDL type deal. But if he wanted to return and there's a roster spot open, Yzerman should do it.