• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Dabura

7/23 GDT - 2021 Entry Draft

Rate this topic

2 minutes ago, Scott R Lucidi said:

burned a 6th rounder mehhhh

Lets be honest here, too.  None of us know ANYTHING about ANY of these players at this stage of the draft.

I get you're intended point, but some of us definitely know SOMETHING about SOME of these players. Just not THIS play. I've never heard of him. I wanted one of the three forwards I listed above, but it's strange they're all still dropping...

I think it's worth noting that, coming into this draft, our D pipeline wasn't all that great; outside of Seider, it was a bunch of maybes. McIsaac can't stay healthy. Tuomisto is a question mark. Wallinder is a question mark. Johansson should be playing in GR next season, but instead he's playing in Sweden, which could be a sign of tension between him and the org (probably not, though).

This Buium kid is another question mark, but with drafting defensemen being a crapshoot, we're improving our gem odds.

8 minutes ago, Dabura said:

I think it's worth noting that, coming into this draft, our D pipeline wasn't all that great; outside of Seider, it was a bunch of maybes. McIsaac can't stay healthy. Tuomisto is a question mark. Wallinder is a question mark. Johansson should be playing in GR next season, but instead he's playing in Sweden, which could be a sign of tension between him and the org (probably not, though).

This Buium kid is another question mark, but with drafting defensemen being a crapshoot, we're improving our gem odds.

Sure, but the same can be said about our forwards as well... All of these prospects are question marks.

Stankoven to Dallas...

Just now, krsmith17 said:

Sure, but the same can be said about our forwards as well... All of these prospects are question marks.

Right. Just sayin'.

If we accept that top defensemen are generally harder to get, it makes sense to load up on D. Though, I dunno that this is an actual pre-planned strategy we're seeing play out. We probably just like these defensemen we took more than we like the other options.

The hockey blogger intelligentsia set is salty over this pick, which makes me like it even more.

So going into this draft we had 5 first and second round picks. We traded two picks to get a LD (Leddy) and a goalie (Ned) and then selected two more LD (Edvinsson, Buium) and a goalie (Cossa).

So pretty clearly this was the year to address LD and goalies. Hoping next year might finally, mercifully, be a year for centers?

4 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

So going into this draft we had 5 first and second round picks. We traded two picks to get a LD (Leddy) and a goalie (Ned) and then selected two more LD (Edvinsson, Buium) and a goalie (Cossa).

So pretty clearly this was the year to address LD and goalies. Hoping next year might finally, mercifully, be a year for centers?

In all fairness, this draft was always d-heavy with next year's being center-heavy. At least as far as the top ten is concerned. 

Just now, marcaractac said:

In all fairness, this draft was always d-heavy with next year's being center-heavy. At least as far as the top ten is concerned. 

Yeah, I'm not really mad about it. A little underwhelming from an entertainment perspective, but the trades and the 1st rounders made sense to me. I don't know anything at all about Buium so I'll reserve judgement on that one.

49 minutes ago, BarkBurgerman said:

How did Simon Robertsson make it to 70 and we didn't take him.

Yzerman is leaning on Draper this draft instead of Andersson. Huge mistake. Probably just throwing Kris a bone after last year with the whole Raymond v. Perfetti debacle and drapes gettin pissed.

Was he pissed tho?  It's business.

3 hours ago, Dabura said:

Taking defensemen with prime picks is actually the one area where I'm not so sold on Yzerman, given his iffy record on that front when he was in Tampa.

But, yeah, this isn't one of those picks that makes you scratch your head and wonder what they were thinking. Edvinsson was definitely going in the top 10. More than a few people felt he was worth taking in the top 5.

Ill be honest, I dont know much about his draft record in Tampa. As for this pick, I was just read Bob Mackenzie's rankings and he had Edvinsson 3rd, so its not like its some kind of reach.

https://www.tsn.ca/bob-mckenzie-s-2021-final-draft-rankings-1.1669727

*edit* I didn't realize you guys already discussed this lol.

Edited by kliq

7 minutes ago, kliq said:

Ill be honest, I dont know much about his draft record in Tampa. As for this pick, I was just read Bob Mackenzie's rankings and he had Edvinsson 3rd, so its not like its some kind of reach.

https://www.tsn.ca/bob-mckenzie-s-2021-final-draft-rankings-1.1669727

*edit* I didn't realize you guys already discussed this lol.

its ok!  Im pretty sure we have covered topic twice in the past.