• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Dabura

7/23 GDT - 2021 Entry Draft

Rate this topic

10 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I'd say it's more likely that neither ever make the NHL...

I'm not as high on Tuomisto as others, but he doesn't exactly have a lot of competition on that right side (as of now). He basically just needs to beat out Lindstrom and maybe Berglund or Barton at this point. Buium on the other hand, needs to beat out three of Edvinsson, Johansson, Wallinder, Viro, McIsaac, Sebrango... That's why this pick was so puzzling to me. When we traded up, I thought for sure it was for a forward. I think any one of Raty, Pinelli, Stankoven (among others) would have been a much smarter pick in that spot. Buium could be a good depth guy, but if there's one area we're strong in terms of depth, it's LD. 

Yzerman = not as smart as you. 

Smh

28 minutes ago, marcaractac said:

So you're saying he should have drafted based on need....

You should never draft purely on need, especially in the top 10. But I've said many times, need should come into play. As should handedness, size, speed, etc. Yzerman echoed this in his presser as well. IF Yzerman and co. think Buium was far and away the best player available, no forward was close, then sure, it was a good pick. I just don't see that. We'll see...

31 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Yzerman = not as smart as you. 

Smh

It's crazy when people think you can't question a single thing a general manager, scout, coach does because they're "professionals". If you do, you think you're "smarter"... "Smh"... Fans are allowed to have opinions. I "trust the Yzerplan". That doesn't mean I have to blindly trust everything he does... Nor should you...

It's not even like I'm overly upset with the pick. I just think there were better options available. I'll bet at least one (maybe all three) of Raty, Pinelli, Stankoven will be bigger impact players at the NHL level than Buium. 

16 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

You should never draft purely on need, especially in the top 10. But I've said many times, need should come into play. As should handedness, size, speed, etc. Yzerman echoed this in his presser as well. IF Yzerman and co. think Buium was far and away the best player available, no forward was close, then sure, it was a good pick. I just don't see that. We'll see...

Yzerman said countless times he doesn't worry about need until he gets to the third or fourth rounds, and until then he goes with who he thinks is BPA, and will only address needs if all else is equal. Clearly they see something in Buium. You don't see it. But we don't scout these kids either. We compare picks made to the lists of other scouts and act as if we know better. 

All everyone has been saying for months was how this draft would have more off-the-board picks then ever. Well, here you go.

25 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

It's crazy when people think you can't question a single thing a general manager, scout, coach does because they're "professionals". If you do, you think you're "smarter"... "Smh"... Fans are allowed to have opinions. I "trust the Yzerplan". That doesn't mean I have to blindly trust everything he does... Nor should you...

It's not even like I'm overly upset with the pick. I just think there were better options available. I'll bet at least one (maybe all three) of Raty, Pinelli, Stankoven will be bigger impact players at the NHL level than Buium. 

Well it's clear to me that Ydude went HAM for D + G this past week. Like it or not. Seems smart to me. 

Just now, The 91 of Ryans said:

Well it's clear to me that Ydude went HAM for D + G this past week. Like it or not. Seems smart to me. 

It's gonna be awesome when we have too many high-end dmen and can make trades for quality forwards with ease. Worst case scenario, only enough of them pan out to make one of the best top 4's in the league. 

Ydude also said during the post draft presser that they at one point had to tell themselves at the table to step away from lefthanded d-men and that they still hade several at the top of the list that they really liked.

9 minutes ago, marcaractac said:

Yzerman said countless times he doesn't worry about need until he gets to the third or fourth rounds, and until then he goes with who he thinks is BPA, and will only address needs if all else is equal. Clearly they see something in Buium. You don't see it. But we don't scout these kids either. We compare picks made to the lists of other scouts and act as if we know better. 

All everyone has been saying for months was how this draft would have more off-the-board picks then ever. Well, here you go.

Which is what I like about Yzerman's drafting philosophy. I just find it hard to see Buium jumping three of the top four or five guys on that left side depth chart. I could be 100% wrong, and maybe he turns out to be an absolute steal, but we can still have opinions on these kids, even if it is based on limited information.

10 minutes ago, BarkBurgerman said:

I remember when Tyler Bertuzzi never should have been drafted in the 2nd round.

Me too. I'm sure glad I wasn't one of the dummies that thought that...

26 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Which is what I like about Yzerman's drafting philosophy. I just find it hard to see Buium jumping three of the top four or five guys on that left side depth chart. I could be 100% wrong, and maybe he turns out to be an absolute steal, but we can still have opinions on these kids, even if it is based on limited information.

Me too. I'm sure glad I wasn't one of the dummies that thought that...

Oh we can def have our opinions. That's why I said 'we' during all the comparing picks to scouts lists stuff, as we're all guilty of doing it at one time or another. Some just take it to extremes. Tippett and Hague, the Wallstedt stuff, etc. 

18 minutes ago, BarkBurgerman said:

But when it's a player YOU like:

5hnu2g.jpg

Funny, but not at all accurate. If you had said "Zadina should have been drafted much lower", I wouldn't have said much. My issue was with you (and mackel) saying that he was a bust the day he was drafted. I'm sure you and many others would have plenty to say to me, if today and every day for the next three years, I was saying "EdViNsSoN iS a BuSt"... And rightfully so...

Also, I'm not the one that comes running (is triggered) every time Zadina is mentioned, that's you and mackel...

4 minutes ago, marcaractac said:

Oh we can def have our opinions. That's why I said 'we' during all the comparing picks to scouts lists stuff, as we're all guilty of doing it at one time or another. Some just take it to extremes. Tippett and Hague, the Wallstedt stuff, etc. 

Absolutely. And don't get me wrong, I'm not too upset with the pick. It was just a little confusing to me. The trade up two spots to get a player that was a bit "off the board". The quality forwards that were dropping (maybe for good reason, but maybe not...). The crazy depth we have in that one position...

1 minute ago, krsmith17 said:

Absolutely. And don't get me wrong, I'm not too upset with the pick. It was just a little confusing to me. The trade up two spots to get a player that was a bit "off the board". The quality forwards that were dropping (maybe for good reason, but maybe not...). The crazy depth we have in that one position...

That LHD depth is gonna have Yzerman wheelin' and dealin when we're on the verge of contention. Buckle up haha

3 minutes ago, BarkBurgerman said:

To be fair, the site is more fun when everyone picks their guy and shills hard for them. Like last year with Rossi v. Perfetti. But then it was Raymond and we're all friends again. It's the crazies that name themsleves JESPERWILLBEAREDWING and triple down on calling Yzerman an idiot when their wish doesn't come true.

*Bust relative to expectations*

At least get it right

COSSA OR BUST

1 minute ago, BarkBurgerman said:

*Bust relative to expectations*

At least get it right

It wasn't always "relative to expectations". You often flat out said "Zadina is a bust". But regardless, even "relative to expectations", I still don't think Zadina will be a "bust". I still think Zadina will be a quality top six (at worst middle six) winger. You're not very often getting an elite top line winger, even at 6th overall. Those guys are usually top 3-5 picks. The elite guys selected outside the top 3-5 that are elite, are the exception, not the norm...

3 minutes ago, marcaractac said:

That LHD depth is gonna have Yzerman wheelin' and dealin when we're on the verge of contention. Buckle up haha

Sure. But what are we going to get with all of that wheelin' and dealin'? Jake Bean, a former 13th overall pick that was progressing quite nicely, just got traded for a 2nd round pick... Let's pretend Buium can reach that same level in 5 years (I doubt it). We flip him for a 2nd round pick. Not really worth it, is it?

10 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

It wasn't always "relative to expectations". You often flat out said "Zadina is a bust". But regardless, even "relative to expectations", I still don't think Zadina will be a "bust". I still think Zadina will be a quality top six (at worst middle six) winger. You're not very often getting an elite top line winger, even at 6th overall. Those guys are usually top 3-5 picks. The elite guys selected outside the top 3-5 that are elite, are the exception, not the norm...

Sure. But what are we going to get with all of that wheelin' and dealin'? Jake Bean, a former 13th overall pick that was progressing quite nicely, just got traded for a 2nd round pick... Let's pretend Buium can reach that same level in 5 years (I doubt it). We flip him for a 2nd round pick. Not really worth it, is it?

Carolina also gave us the third place Calder voted goalie for a late 3rd. I really wouldn't worry about what they are doing. They are in cap hell and are literally giving assets away like clowns. 

7 minutes ago, BarkBurgerman said:

Cause it triggers you. EVERYTIME. How have you not gathered that yet?

Then:

>Zadina is a bust
>OmG nO HE's NoT
>Nah, prolly not. I just think he was drafted too high and isn't much better than Hudler

Now:

>yOu SAiD ZaDINa wAs BuSt
>Yeah, then I explained how he's not
>BuT... bUt... yOu SAid...

Do we really need to go through the motions AGAIN?

Absolutely not. You're the one that brought it up...

I'm just glad you admitted backpedaling off your original stance... Good for you.

11 minutes ago, BarkBurgerman said:

Cause it triggers you. EVERYTIME. How have you not gathered that yet?

Then:

>Zadina is a bust
>OmG nO HE's NoT
>Nah, prolly not. I just think he was drafted too high and isn't much better than Hudler

Now:

>yOu SAiD ZaDINa wAs BuSt
>Yeah, then I explained how he's not
>BuT... bUt... yOu SAid...

Do we really need to go through the motions AGAIN?

For the sake of all that is holy PLEASE NO!!!

2 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

It could be a hockey trade tho. I doubt at that time that SY would still be acquiring picks.

1 hour ago, BarkBurgerman said:

Smith and Jurco were busts.

And so is Zadina.

To be fair, that's a false equivalency. Jurco never stuck in the NHL and Smith ended up as a low end NHLer. Zadina has been considerably better than both so far and continues to improve.

If your definition of a bust is Jurco, or even Smith, then I am not sure you can fairly call Zadina one as well, based on those comparables.

Edited by Neomaxizoomdweebie

4 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Kinda looks like Ron Jeremy

HOLY $HIT !!!

5hp733.jpg

3 hours ago, Dabura said:

Where was this zero-f***-given alpha mullet man in 1996 when we were getting spanked by the Avs???

image.jpg

Couldn't breath thru his 'Breath Right'...