• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

The 91 of Ryans

New New Prospects Thread

Rate this topic

3 hours ago, diehardredwingsfan58 said:

That was a sweet snipe over Askarov's shoulder by Edvinsson on his 4th goal of the season. Ed is now on pace for a 55 point season with the Griffins. No reason he needs to be playing in Detroit right now.

If he'd help us win games then there's every reason to get him on the team. Points are at a premium. It's MUCH better to make the post season in a divisional seed rather than the Wild Card and it's clear he's ready to play in the top four in Detroit and contribute to wins. It's getting to the point where he's making highlight reel plays every night in the American League. I realize it might take a little patience for something to give, but he needs to be up as soon as possible.

4 hours ago, kipwinger said:

If he'd help us win games then there's every reason to get him on the team. Points are at a premium. It's MUCH better to make the post season in a divisional seed rather than the Wild Card and it's clear he's ready to play in the top four in Detroit and contribute to wins. It's getting to the point where he's making highlight reel plays every night in the American League. I realize it might take a little patience for something to give, but he needs to be up as soon as possible.

Probably better for his development too, tbh.

EDIT: Oh, you covered that. Missed it the first time I read it. :thumbup:

Edited by Dabura

11 hours ago, Dabura said:

If he and ASP are legit, we could have 3 1Ds.

I think the whole notion of a 1D, 2D, 3D, etc. is pretty outmoded. I mean, fans can label them however they want for the sake of discussion but I don't think their usage would reflect this type of hierarchy. I think back to the 2008 Wings and while Lidstrom was nominally the 1D partnered with Rafalski, neither of those two were taking on the toughest matchups. That was Kronwall and Stewart. I think you could argue our "2nd pair" was the more important pair that year, and I'd personally argue that Kronwall was our best dman. These days I think you want to find those cornerstone pieces and get them throughout your lineup. Kinda like Pittsburgh using Phil Kessel on their 3rd line sorta thing.

If you've got Walman-Seider and then Edvinsson-ASP then I imagine it will be a coin flip each night for which line gets more minutes and/or scores more points. Kinda like back in the day when we had Lidstrom and Konstantinov on separate pairs, sort of a "pick your poison" type scenario.

Edited by kipwinger

1 hour ago, kipwinger said:

I think the whole notion of a 1D, 2D, 3D, etc. is pretty outmoded. I mean, fans can label them however they want for the sake of discussion but I don't think their usage would reflect this type of hierarchy. I think back to the 2008 Wings and while Lidstrom was nominally the 1D partnered with Rafalski, neither of those two were taking on the toughest matchups. That was Kronwall and Stewart. I think you could argue our "2nd pair" was the more important pair that year, and I'd personally argue that Kronwall was our best dman. These days I think you want to find those cornerstone pieces and get them throughout your lineup. Kinda like Pittsburgh using Phil Kessel on their 3rd line sorta thing.

If you've got Walman-Seider and then Edvinsson-ASP then I imagine it will be a coin flip each night for which line gets more minutes and/or scores more points. Kinda like back in the day when we had Lidstrom and Konstantinov on separate pairs, sort of a "pick your poison" type scenario.

Yeah, I'm just saying three top D. The labels don't really matter.

One guy to keep an eye on: Dman Artyom Levshunov

When former wings AC adam nightingale took over the MSU program his three big additions to the schools team were getting Red Savage to transfer in, Isaac Howard to transfer in, and picking up this Russian kid from the USHL. Levshunov was the biggest unknown, but he's been absolutely legit. 18 year old freshmen, already 6'2" and 200 lbs, and he has 15 pts in 16 games as a RHD. He is draft eligable this year, and hes playing with Savage and Augustine, and being coached by Nightingale. I wont be surprised if we take this kid in the 3rd round or maybe even higher. 

I signed up for the Griffins ahltv to specifically watch Edvinsson.  He's NHL ready NOW.  They use him everywhere, and the play goes forward when he is on the ice.  He has that it factor.  Plays with his head up all the time, and finds a way to get the puck moving up ice.  Wallinder is the guy that needs development.  He is a bit awkward on the ice.  He has flashes of good movement, but he doesnt look like a grown man out there yet.  Johansson is ready for 3rd line minutes next year in Detroit.  We wont skip a beat when he replaces Maatta.

4 hours ago, Troy McClure said:

One guy to keep an eye on: Dman Artyom Levshunov

When former wings AC adam nightingale took over the MSU program his three big additions to the schools team were getting Red Savage to transfer in, Isaac Howard to transfer in, and picking up this Russian kid from the USHL. Levshunov was the biggest unknown, but he's been absolutely legit. 18 year old freshmen, already 6'2" and 200 lbs, and he has 15 pts in 16 games as a RHD. He is draft eligable this year, and hes playing with Savage and Augustine, and being coached by Nightingale. I wont be surprised if we take this kid in the 3rd round or maybe even higher. 

Theres also that Cole Eiserman kid that I think they might take in the 2nd round.