• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
bIueadams

2024 TDL Thread

Rate this topic

51 minutes ago, AtlantaHotWings said:

Rags get Raslovic from BJs

I would've liked Yzerman to give up the 4th for him.

I'll have to say, I am a bit disappointed. There was players to be had for low round picks. Roslivic being one example. 

This definitely appears that Yzerman thinks he has enough to make the playoffs without giving up assets. He will have egg on his face if they don't make the playoffs and he got nothing for Ghost, Perron, and Sprong, who combined would have gotten a good return.

3 minutes ago, Axl Foley said:

This definitely appears that Yzerman thinks he has enough to make the playoffs without giving up assets. He will have egg on his face if they don't make the playoffs and he got nothing for Ghost, Perron, and Sprong, who combined would have gotten a good return.

You have not been paying attention to the returns this TDL obviously

27 minutes ago, AtlantaHotWings said:

Kept hitting refresh on tsn webpage then realized Kostin going away was our big move. 

Underwhelming for sure.....

To put a positive spin as i put on my red colored shades. 

Showing this much confidence in the group will inspire them to come out huge till the end of the season

You mean Yzerman…….wait for it ……..LIKES HIS Team??

6 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

I hate liking our team

49 minutes ago, Axl Foley said:

People are saying this inaction shows he has confidence in the team, and maybe that is indeed the reality - but to me it feels like "This was never going to be our year, so I'm not going to sink any more assets into it."

1 minute ago, AtlantaHotWings said:

Watching the presser and it's basically I didn't want to give up to get. 

GR matches the depth he could have gotten for assets so why give up the assets

Must be he assessed the team's needs much differently than I did. I figured we could use a scoring center, a right handed defenseman with some bite, and a power forward. We don't have any of those things in GR.

4 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Must be he assessed the team's needs much differently than I did. I figured we could use a scoring center, a right handed defenseman with some bite, and a power forward. We don't have any of those things in GR.

Looking through different lense I guess 

18 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

And prices were pretty low. 

1 hour ago, kipwinger said:

For me, I wanted to unload.

5 hours ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

any return is better than losing a UFA for nothing.

2 hours ago, kipwinger said:

Yuck. I get the feeling you were rubbing your belly when you posted that. You should be on a government list somewhere.

he was rubbing something alright

So, watching the press conference, i got a couple of takeaways. 

Yes, he likes his team.

He likes ALL his UFAs and will get things done very quickly after the season, whether it's re-signing or letting them know that they will be not offering a contract.

Not that Berggren (for example) is better than any player they could've acquired yesterday, it's that he's more valuable to the team than giving him up for a player who might not be around 3-4 years from now. So it was better to keep him instead of lose his future here.

He wanted Kostin to work out here. He also recognized he needs to play and wants to play, so he moved him so he could get into nhl games regularly and not sit. Plus although $2M isn't a lot in the grand scheme of things, it'd too much to be not playing this and next year.

We all enjoyed the 25 year playoff streak, but how angry were we at Holland near the end when he was desperately trying to squeeze into the playoffs every year by trading our future and acquiring expiring contracts and aging vets just to do so? Good on Yzerman for not following that road.

Speaking of Berggren, per rules he can only play in 4 more NHL game's before his waiver exemptions expire.  So if indeed he is officially called up, Yzerman said they aren't going to NOT play him to avoid that threshold. It would be pointless to call him up and only play him 3 of the next 20 games. So if he gets the official call (which I do believe he has) he's here to stay. So there's that for all the fans complaining that he hasn't been promoted. They sit at 11 forwards right now with Larkin out, so he's probably getting into the next game. 

As much as I was disappointed yesterday, I'm glad Yzerman didn't overpay to desperately grab at the playoffs. And honestly, I wouldn't be upset if he re-signed all his UFA'S except Reimer of course.

The more I think about this deadline the more frustrated I get. What was the plan when signing all these free agents? To make the playoffs and try to win a round or two? Or wait and see what happens and then sell them off at the deadline?

Because if you're trying to make the playoffs (and create a winning culture) then he sure as h*ll should have bolstered the weak spots in the lineup. And if the idea was to sell for picks then he should have bitten the bullet and sold. What he told the team was, "I don't have enough confidence in you to spend a 3rd round pick on some reinforcements. But I'm also not throwing the towel in because I'd like to see us win...just not enough to do anything to improve the odds of it".

The deadline is the absolutely last opportunity to commit to an organizational direction. The league gives you 75% of the season to figure your team out. The front office either doesn't know what this team is, or they don't strongly care enough whether it wins or loses to commit to one direction or the other.

Every player on the roster knows it too. If you're a UFA on this this team right now why would you buy in? Managment didn't. These guys are all thinking about next year from here on out. And if you're a core piece it's just more of the same, the losing losers lose again. Managing any organization, but especially a sports team, is as much about psychology as anything else. The front office just told the entire team, we don't really care what happens either way. So why would the players?

I'm expecting a serious tumble down the standings over the remainder of the season.

1 hour ago, kipwinger said:

The more I think about this deadline the more frustrated I get. What was the plan when signing all these free agents? To make the playoffs and try to win a round or two? Or wait and see what happens and then sell them off at the deadline?

Because if you're trying to make the playoffs (and create a winning culture) then he sure as h*ll should have bolstered the weak spots in the lineup. And if the idea was to sell for picks then he should have bitten the bullet and sold. What he told the team was, "I don't have enough confidence in you to spend a 3rd round pick on some reinforcements. But I'm also not throwing the towel in because I'd like to see us win...just not enough to do anything to improve the odds of it".

The deadline is the absolutely last opportunity to commit to an organizational direction. The league gives you 75% of the season to figure your team out. The front office either doesn't know what this team is, or they don't strongly care enough whether it wins or loses to commit to one direction or the other.

Every player on the roster knows it too. If you're a UFA on this this team right now why would you buy in? Managment didn't. These guys are all thinking about next year from here on out. And if you're a core piece it's just more of the same, the losing losers lose again. Managing any organization, but especially a sports team, is as much about psychology as anything else. The front office just told the entire team, we don't really care what happens either way. So why would the players?

I'm expecting a serious tumble down the standings over the remainder of the season.

We've lost our captain/1C and worn our goalie into the ground.  At the deadline we should have upgraded our backup... that's the only area we should have addressed.

The idea was clearly try and improve, play important games down the stretch and develop the core.

5 minutes ago, mackel said:

We've lost our captain/1C and worn our goalie into the ground.  At the deadline we should have upgraded our backup... that's the only area we should have addressed.

The idea was clearly try and improve, play important games down the stretch and develop the core.

Well we're definitely playing (and losing) important games down the stretch so mission accomplished I guess.

16 minutes ago, mackel said:

Petry/Chiarot/Husso at 11 mil in 2024-25 absolutely KILLS this team straight from the start.  We are no worse off with ASP/Edvinsson/Cossa next year.  Those 3 Cost us 3 mil right now.  Yzerman needed to make some moves to get our money and player situations to optimal heading into next year.  He didn't.  So instead of having that extra 8 mil to grab Stamkos, we're going to waste it on CRAP.  F for Yzerman at the deadline.  Hopefully, he makes up for it at the draft.

1 hour ago, Scott R Lucidi said:

Petry/Chiarot/Husso at 11 mil in 2024-25 absolutely KILLS this team straight from the start.  We are no worse off with ASP/Edvinsson/Cossa next year.  Those 3 Cost us 3 mil right now.  Yzerman needed to make some moves to get our money and player situations to optimal heading into next year.  He didn't.  So instead of having that extra 8 mil to grab Stamkos, we're going to waste it on CRAP.  F for Yzerman at the deadline.  Hopefully, he makes up for it at the draft.

Someone's gotta want those guys... unlikely 

5 hours ago, Scott R Lucidi said:

Petry just may be bought out next season, if not then he'll be the 7th D. Yzerman will probably still look to move Holl. Pretty sure you're getting Edvinsson next season for sure. You never know what will happen in the summer. We are all wanting the playoffs now. I was upset initially with yesterday, but honestly, if acquiring a player who might not be here next season at the price of Berggren and a 1st, is it really worth it if we aren't going to make much noise in the playoffs either way? Everyone was mad that Berggren wasn't here, Yzerman traded Kostin and made room for Berggren. Now he's here and he isn't going back. Who knows what kind of player we'll get with our mid teens 1st this season. Would it be worth Losing those two assets, for example, to acquire Hanifin who wouldn't be the difference maker for this playoff anyhow, then have him go to Tampa in the summer, and now we're out all three? Plus I don't think the players are upset because for the weeks leading up to the deadline, every interview it was mentioned how much they love the group of players they are with and how much the love playing together. The team are probably happy that Yzerman didn't take any regular roster players away or add someone that would bump a player out. Yzerman felt the team is better with the players coming up from GR instead of what was available out there. I also happen to think if Yzerman wants to sign Stamkos, he will get Stamkos and at a very team friendly deal. It'll all be ok. Berggren and Edvinsson will be here next season.