• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
AtlantaHotWings

Who do you root for tonight?

Rate this topic

With us continuing to be in the hunt and the teams behind us trying to catch tonight offers some interesting games

Islanders have 58 points and tonight puts them even with us in games played. Pitt is 9 points back with 2 in hand after tonight so I am backing Pitt which makes me question my mental state

Devils have 60 and tonight puts them even with us in games played Washington will have a game in hand after tonight but are 8 back so backing the Caps 

Man been so long since I have been scoreboard watching this late in the year and it feels great 

image.thumb.png.6bc5ac4804377d6614798689d00acfd1.png

Ignore the false gods. Just need wins. If we cannot win we cannot expect to be gifted 70 virgin jon ericssons in heaven.

That said, ill probably be rooting for the oilers tonight. Those guys are actually fun to watch. 

Edited by Troy McClure

1 hour ago, Troy McClure said:

Ignore the false gods. Just need wins. If we cannot win we cannot expect to be gifted 70 virgin jon ericssons in heaven.

That said, ill probably be rooting for the oilers tonight. Those guys are actually fun to watch. 

holy hell with minnesota last night.  Joel Eriksson?  Who the hell id that guy?

1 hour ago, AtlantaHotWings said:

Only one matters for us Leafs must lose ....lol 

I like seeing the Leafs lose just for the heck of it. But really we should only care about Tampa or New Jersey losing (or ideally both) on any given night. We aren't likely to catch the Leafs given that they're 4 points ahead of us with a game in hand.. But because of games played we can easily pass Tampa and/or NJ can lose enough that they aren't seriously threatening us for the 2nd Wild Card. Those are the only two teams I care about.

2 hours ago, kipwinger said:

I like seeing the Leafs lose just for the heck of it. But really we should only care about Tampa or New Jersey losing (or ideally both) on any given night. We aren't likely to catch the Leafs given that they're 4 points ahead of us with a game in hand.. But because of games played we can easily pass Tampa and/or NJ can lose enough that they aren't seriously threatening us for the 2nd Wild Card. Those are the only two teams I care about.

I always look at it as "Who are we better than?"  I don't think we're going to pass the Leafs because I don't think we're better than that team.  I don't think we're going to stay ahead of Tampa because I don't think we're better than Tampa.  I do think we're better than New Jersey, so I think we'll finish ahead of them.

3 minutes ago, Scott R Lucidi said:

I always look at it as "Who are we better than?"  I don't think we're going to pass the Leafs because I don't think we're better than that team.  I don't think we're going to stay ahead of Tampa because I don't think we're better than Tampa.  I do think we're better than New Jersey, so I think we'll finish ahead of them.

You're a pessimist (perhaps purposely). The season is 5 months old and I'd say we were as good as the Leafs for 4 of the 5. Same with Tampa. We dropped points in a month were we were missing our top two centers and had a revolving door in goal. Otherwise we've performed as good or better than both those teams. At our current trajectory we'll finish ahead of Tampa by 4ish points and should fall right below the Leafs (assuming they don't self destruct in goal). Something tells me neither Tampa nor Toronto would be sitting where Detroit is if they were without their top two centers for a month like we were in December.

We're a really good team. We consistently beat other good teams more often than they beat us. We are currently 6-4 against the four teams ahead of us in the Atlantic Division. I know it's more entertaining to write "We Suck!!!!!" posts all day everyday, but the reality is that we aren't significantly worse than any of the teams in our division despite some key injuries and a pretty tough schedule so far.

2 hours ago, kipwinger said:

You're a pessimist (perhaps purposely). The season is 5 months old and I'd say we were as good as the Leafs for 4 of the 5. Same with Tampa. We dropped points in a month were we were missing our top two centers and had a revolving door in goal. Otherwise we've performed as good or better than both those teams. At our current trajectory we'll finish ahead of Tampa by 4ish points and should fall right below the Leafs (assuming they don't self destruct in goal). Something tells me neither Tampa nor Toronto would be sitting where Detroit is if they were without their top two centers for a month like we were in December.

We're a really good team. We consistently beat other good teams more often than they beat us. We are currently 6-4 against the four teams ahead of us in the Atlantic Division. I know it's more entertaining to write "We Suck!!!!!" posts all day everyday, but the reality is that we aren't significantly worse than any of the teams in our division despite some key injuries and a pretty tough schedule so far.

point taken.  can u lube me up next time, at least?

6 hours ago, kipwinger said:

We aren't likely to catch the Leafs given that they're 4 points ahead of us with a game in hand..

Youre being a pessimist.

4 hours ago, kipwinger said:

we've performed as good or better than both those teams. 

We're a really good team. We consistently beat other good teams more often than they beat us.

This is better.

My toxic trait is thinking the Wings can still finish top in the division. DET only need to win 7 in a row and FLA, BOS, TOR, TBL all lose 7 in a row.......

Srsly tho theres no reason this team cant finish 3rd in the division.

5 hours ago, kipwinger said:

I mean, I'm a pretty big believer in this team, but I don't really disagree with @Scott R Lucidi. It's not that we aren't good...it's just that we're living in the age of parity and all it takes is a run of bad games to knock you out of a race like this. We saw it last season. Granted, we're a better team this season. But we've still got flaws, just like any other bubble team.

Like, I D-E-S-P-I-S-E the fancy stats arguments for why we aren't a good team - but, in fairness, the arguments aren't totally unreasonable. For one thing, we're fundamentally incapable of locking down our half of the ice. Every night we write a blank check for 33+ shots against us and we hand it to the other team and they cash the check. Maybe most of those shots aren't "high-danger," but it's playing with fire. It was killing us before Lyon stepped in and stepped up.

Fortunately, we can flat-out score. Which means we have two engines: scoring and Lyon. Either one can falter a bit and it won't necessarily be catastrophic, provided the other one holds up. The concern is that both Lyon and our shooters are probably overachieving a bit and are probably due for some regression. If that regression hits on both fronts at the same time, that could be the season right there.

But I'm optimistic.

The 2nd wild card spot is ours to lose. The Devils haven't shown that they're any better than us. Nor have the Isles. The Pens are fading. The Caps refuse to die, but we'll see.

As far as I'm concerned, that's our competition right now. Those four Metro teams.

We're not catching the Leafs. (Watch me eat those words.) F*** them and everything they stand for - but if there's one thing they know how to do, it's finish 2nd or 3rd in the division (and implode in the 1st round).

Finishing above the Bolts is more realistic, but they're a veteran team that you expect to get serious when things get serious, and things are getting pretty serious for them.

The funny thing in all this is that I really like our chances against the Bruins or Rangers in a best-of-seven. (I want no part of the Panthers, but I'll embrace it if that's how it's gotta be.) I like our chances so much that I almost feel like going toe-to-toe with one of them would be easier than this race we're in now.

I like to have stretch goals and that's how I see the leafs.  After last night they are 6 points ahead of us same number of games as us and will be at the end of tonight.  They lose tonight we win and we are only 4 points back same thing we lose they win them my hope light flickers a bit. 

A win by us tonight and some losses in the list below and we could get some breathing room. Issue is the first game off an extended road trip is usually yuck 

Go Rags   Go Habs   Go Caps  Go Blue    Go Knights(keep my hopes alive)

Most importantly LGRW!! control what you can and that's win the !#$%!%#% game!!!

Edited by AtlantaHotWings

10 hours ago, Dabura said:

I mean, I'm a pretty big believer in this team, but I don't really disagree with @Scott R Lucidi. It's not that we aren't good...it's just that we're living in the age of parity and all it takes is a run of bad games to knock you out of a race like this. We saw it last season. Granted, we're a better team this season. But we've still got flaws, just like any other bubble team.

Like, I D-E-S-P-I-S-E the fancy stats arguments for why we aren't a good team - but, in fairness, the arguments aren't totally unreasonable. For one thing, we're fundamentally incapable of locking down our half of the ice. Every night we write a blank check for 33+ shots against us and we hand it to the other team and they cash the check. Maybe most of those shots aren't "high-danger," but it's playing with fire. It was killing us before Lyon stepped in and stepped up.

Fortunately, we can flat-out score. Which means we have two engines: scoring and Lyon. Either one can falter a bit and it won't necessarily be catastrophic, provided the other one holds up. The concern is that both Lyon and our shooters are probably overachieving a bit and are probably due for some regression. If that regression hits on both fronts at the same time, that could be the season right there.

But I'm optimistic.

The 2nd wild card spot is ours to lose. The Devils haven't shown that they're any better than us. Nor have the Isles. The Pens are fading. The Caps refuse to die, but we'll see.

As far as I'm concerned, that's our competition right now. Those four Metro teams.

We're not catching the Leafs. (Watch me eat those words.) F*** them and everything they stand for - but if there's one thing they know how to do, it's finish 2nd or 3rd in the division (and implode in the 1st round).

Finishing above the Bolts is more realistic, but they're a veteran team that you expect to get serious when things get serious, and things are getting pretty serious for them.

The funny thing in all this is that I really like our chances against the Bruins or Rangers in a best-of-seven. (I want no part of the Panthers, but I'll embrace it if that's how it's gotta be.) I like our chances so much that I almost feel like going toe-to-toe with one of them would be easier than this race we're in now.

If you go back and look at Tampa's possession metrics during their peak you'll notice they're very "Detroit-like". I don't think that's accidental. I don't really think Yzerman cares about shots, and I know Lalonde doesn't. I think they operate under the assumption that a professional caliber goalie will stop shots that he sees. As such, the job of your defensemen is to be big enough to win battles and clear the crease, and skate well enough to get the puck out of our zone. Now look at our defensemen.

The other thing I'd say is that every team in the conference has serious flaws, except maybe Florida or the Rangers. If that's the standard then every team is just as good/bad as we are. But you can't escape the unavoidable fact that when we play top end teams around the league we win far more often than we lose. I agree that it only takes "a bad run of games" to fall out of contention, I just don't think we're any more likely than other teams to experience that. Toronto is currently riding high on the back of a goalie that they waived a few month ago. Is that more stable than what we've got happening? Boston has been so bad since December that they lost their stranglehold on the division and Florida has overtaken them for 1st.

I agree we have flaws, so does every team. But I think we're much more critical of our own flaws, and we downplay our own strengths more than we should.

Id still bet on tampa and tronna to run us over in the playoffs. Just cause we have no expierence in the post season.

Sure Compher, Chiarot, Holl, and Kane do, but the rest of the team, including our key players, have very little or none at all.

If we really wanna aim for a sucessfull run maybe we should target some expierenced players. Who out there has that?