• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
AtlantaHotWings

Who do you root for tonight?

Rate this topic

11 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Gretzky played across multiple eras with multiple "supporting casts". In 1990-91 he scored 163 points (ten better than McDavid's best) at age 30. The next best player on the team was Luc Robitaille, a one-way winger who's career numbers (even at that age) were comparably worse than Draisaitl's. During these two seasons (McDavid's best and Gretzy's best with LA), goals per game were higher in 90-91 but so where save percentages.

So if we exclude ALL of Gretzky's best seasons he was still better, for a worse team, in a comparable era at age 30 than McDavid has been in the very best of his prime years.

McDavid would have 600 pts and a selke every year on any of those teams. Grets was right place right time. McDavid actually has to work for it. 

Just now, Troy McClure said:

McDavid would have 600 pts and a selke every year on any of those teams. Grets was right place right time. McDavid actually has to work for it. 

Cuz he fast. I get it now.

I can't help but laugh at this Gretzky vs McDavid confusion.  Wayne's desire to win gets not only a 92 goal season, but his playmaking was stupidly awesome.    His wingers just needed to stand near the net.

He's probably the best penalty killing scorer ever.  The fact that Gretzky scored more points 4-on-5 than 4-on-4 is stunning.

51 minutes ago, town123 said:

I can't help but laugh at this Gretzky vs McDavid confusion.  Wayne's desire to win gets not only a 92 goal season, but his playmaking was stupidly awesome.    His wingers just needed to stand near the net.

He's probably the best penalty killing scorer ever.  The fact that Gretzky scored more points 4-on-5 than 4-on-4 is stunning.

Its really not. 4 on 4 happens way less than regular power plays do. 

Also pretty easy to score when goalies have regarded equipment and cant butterfly. 

57 minutes ago, town123 said:

No doubt. Imagine how much more Gretzky would have scored with a composite stick and no two-line passing.

Back in 2016, in an interview with The Canadian Press, Grets said McDavid is the best player he's ever seen play the game. Better than Lemieux, Lafluer, himself, Messier, and Crosby.

Back in 2021, in an interview with The Edmonton Journal, Grets said Nobody else is close in reference to McDavid being the best.

Back in 2022, in an interview with Sportsnet Canada, Grets said He's the best player to play the sport in reference to McDavid.

Who would know better than the guy you regards are arguing for? But then again, he was overrated as a player, a coach, and probably as a judge of talent too. 

10 minutes ago, Troy McClure said:

Back in 2016, in an interview with The Canadian Press, Grets said McDavid is the best player he's ever seen play the game. Better than Lemieux, Lafluer, himself, Messier, and Crosby.

Back in 2021, in an interview with The Edmonton Journal, Grets said Nobody else is close in reference to McDavid being the best.

Back in 2022, in an interview with Sportsnet Canada, Grets said He's the best player to play the sport in reference to McDavid.

Who would know better than the guy you regards are arguing for? But then again, he was overrated as a player, a coach, and probably as a judge of talent too. 

He’s also famously humble.

2 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

He’s also famously humble.

He wasn't so humble when he got me kicked out of Hy's Steakhouse in Vancouver for calling him a washed up c-unt on my way to the restroom

16 minutes ago, AtlantaHotWings said:

When McJesus has his number retired league wide we can have a discussion

And yet 66 isn't retired.... When just about everyone recognizes Mario was the better player who just didnt play as many games because he got fricken cancer...

Not to mention Mario didn't have to get involved with mafia gambling rings to fix games like Wayne and Janet Gretsky did.  

16 minutes ago, Troy McClure said:

He wasn't so humble when he got me kicked out of Hy's Steakhouse in Vancouver for calling him a washed up c-unt on my way to the restroom

And yet 66 isn't retired.... When just about everyone recognizes Mario was the better player who just didnt play as many games because he got fricken cancer...

Not to mention Mario didn't have to get involved with mafia gambling rings to fix games like Wayne and Janet Gretsky did.  

Some days you simply make me chuckle and I thank you for that 

16 minutes ago, Troy McClure said:

@Scott R Lucidi you're older than me, maybe you can answer this one.

In the 80's were there regards arguing that Howe was still better than Grets because boomer nostalgia or whatever?

Cause I think the same thing is happening now with Grets/McD 

Gretzky always said Howe was better than he was. So according to your own arguments Gretzky is now, at best, the fourth best player in league history.

1 minute ago, kipwinger said:

Gretzky always said Howe was better than he was. So according to your own arguments Gretzky is now, at best, the fourth best player in league history.

Not surprising.  Crosby, McDavid, Bure, Lemieux, Datsyuk, and Lindros would all thrash 80s Gretsky. Not Howe though. Howe is possibly even more overrated than Grets, and I'm not trying to be an edgy hater on that. 

7 hours ago, kipwinger said:

For the most part I agree.

On a side note, I can't wait to see Matthews goal scoring fall off a cliff yet again when he gets to the playoffs and he's got someone like Matthew Tkachuk running him through the boards every shift. Never ceases to amaze me how superstars like Matthews and McDavid can't find their offense the minute the refs let people check them tightly.

I almost want the Leafs to make it out of the 1st round again just so we get to be the ones to kick their asses.

CAPS BEAT THE BOLTS IN REGULATION

BLUES BEAT THE ISLES IN REGULATION

NO ONE CARES ABOUT YOU, PITTSBURGH

RANGERS THRASHED THE DEVILS IN REGULATION

WE EATIN' GOOD TONIGHT BOYS LET'S GOOOOOOOOO

Just now, Dabura said:

WAIT SORRY THE BLUES-ISLES GAME ISN'T OVERRRRRRRRR

35 minutes ago, Dabura said:

WAIT SORRY THE BLUES-ISLES GAME ISN'T OVERRRRRRRRR

OK THE BLUES-ISLES GAME IS OVER NOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Just now, Dabura said:

OK THE BLUES-ISLES GAME IS OVER NOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

AND IT WAS A THRASHINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

15 hours ago, Troy McClure said:

Its really not. 4 on 4 happens way less than regular power plays do. 

Also pretty easy to score when goalies have regarded equipment and cant butterfly. 

The offsetting penalty rule changed in 1985, nicknamed the Gretzky Rule.    He was so good at 4 on 4 with the extra space that the league had to even things up by having the teams stay at 5 on 5.

Where's the McDuff rule?

26 minutes ago, town123 said:

The offsetting penalty rule changed in 1985, nicknamed the Gretzky Rule.    He was so good at 4 on 4 with the extra space that the league had to even things up by having the teams stay at 5 on 5.

Where's the McDuff rule?

2020-21A player's skate will not have to be in contact with the blue line in order to be considered on-side

Implemented bc McDuffs feet were so fast the refs couldnt tell if he was touching or not.

What else u got hot shot?