53 replies to this topic

#1 redwings56

redwings56

Phenom

• Pip
  • 194 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 07:06 PM

Has he been steady? Yes
He is consistant, not only looking at goals against (1 goal against every game).

I am not at all saying that he is the second coming of Patrick Roy like Habs fans are dubbing Price. And I do not want Howard to take us to the Promise Land. But this last week is reasurring Holland and Red Wings exec. that they do not need to sign a big name goalie in the off season. Howard is hopefully ready for next year 100%.

I hope Hasek is back soon because Osgood is not the answer for the playoffs, no matter how much people love him. (he was great at the beginning when Dom went down for a few games 22-3-2 I think) But the team just isn't playing well in front of him lately. Really though I noticed early in the season when Ozzie was in they allowed a lot more shots than when Dom was in. Anyone else notice that? And Ozzie made at least 3 huge saves a game. Now those huge saves are goals. We can't blame Ozzie and Howard is not the answer for this years playoffs, but he is a nice change and I like how well he is playing.

Great Season Datsyuk

#2 Aki

Aki

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 07:17 PM

I thought Howard was awesome today, if it weren't for him, I'm sure we would have lost 4-0 instead of 1-0

#3 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,923 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 07:17 PM

I'd be more comfortable with Howard starting off in a backup goaltending position, rather than jumping right into the number one spot

#4 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 07:18 PM

People here were all over Osgood's jock strap for a majority of the year.

Either Hasek or Osgood is a good choice to be the starting goaltender for the playoffs. I don't understand why people keep trying to fight this. They both work well together, they get along, they have shown this season in large spurts to be around the top of their games.

I will keep saying this over and over again until people want to snap my neck in half. HASEK + OSGOOD = A SOLID GOALTENDING COMBINATION.

That being said, Howard has been very solid in relief and today. He has to wait his turn until Hasek retires and with Osgood still playing a large role in Detroit over the next few years signing a contract extention, but his time being in Detroit permanently is slowly coming I think.

#5 DaKineMaui

DaKineMaui

Alii Nui

• Gold Booster
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 07:20 PM

QUOTE (Echolalia @ February 17, 2008 - 02:17PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd be more comfortable with Howard starting off in a backup goaltending position, rather than jumping right into the number one spot

Why? Why not a starting spot? It was 1-0 against a good team. Explain further.

#6 jim3033

jim3033

Hossa knows kung-fu!

• PipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 07:26 PM

Howard played a solid game. The D blocked a lot of shots and helped him out where they didn't with Ozzie. But he made some good saves.

#7 Superman54

Superman54

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 07:35 PM

Howard had a super game today and Im really looking forward tp the future with him
Hopefully next year!

#8 Elshupacabra

Elshupacabra

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,044 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 08:06 PM

Until recently, based on what I had seen of Howard in GR and his brief stints in the NHL, I didn't think that he had what it took to make it in the NHL. I was impressed with the way he filled in for Osgood the past couple games, but I reserved judgment until I saw him actually start a game.

I'm still impressed. Not only did Howard make some nice saves and looked steady for the most part, But the team seemed to play a little better in front of him, still not as good as they should be playing, but still...better.

I think that Howard will make a decent backup for the next couple years. Hopefully he'll be ready for a starting position by then.

Edited by Elshupacabra, 17 February 2008 - 08:07 PM.

#9 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,931 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 08:33 PM

QUOTE (DaKineMaui @ February 17, 2008 - 04:20PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Because it was one game.

#10 Yemack

Yemack

1st Line Sniper

• Gold Booster
  • 846 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 08:43 PM

Hes looking better and better every game. he performance was pretty solid today IMO He looked alot bigger tonight and look confident.

but Osgood is way more refined and he just knows so much more about how to go about doing things in NHL. Howard is good but he needs more experience and adjust to NHL speed.
We acquire the strength we have overcome.

#11 ben_usmc

ben_usmc

Kenny Powers Fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 08:44 PM

very impressive one game, but yeah start backing and then maybe do a lot of rotation
There's no I in team, but there's a U in c***, so don't be little jealous c***s

#12 Nero

Nero

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 09:00 PM

Did you guys see the preseason? He was great then too.
Yeah yeah, they don't matter, I know.

#13 Yzerfan1999

Yzerfan1999

Hall-of-Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 09:06 PM

I dont know if I would give him the number 1 role next year - you never want to break a goalie to early - M A Fleury...

I would see if he can handle split duties with Osgood.
When you lose, say little. When you win, say less.

--Thanks for the Sig. Offsides--

#14 sinbin

sinbin

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 09:09 PM

He'll be here next year with the Oz! Dom's hips are too worn!
Don't be fooled by what you see......

#15 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,923 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 09:14 PM

QUOTE (DaKineMaui @ February 17, 2008 - 07:20PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Because as someone else has already said, it was only one game, and I believe his career record with the wings only has one win. In addition, he's been playing in low pressure situations, acting as a relief when were already down by three goals, and coming in as the starter only when we're already amidst the longest loosing streak in a decade. He definitely played well tonight, but why risk destroying something good in Jimmy by putting him in number 1 too soon, when you can play it safe and have a perfectly solid, proven (although many will argue this as of late) goalie to take the helm, or at the very least, split the season with

#16 shannyfan1414

shannyfan1414

We will miss you Shanny!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 09:16 PM

I thought that he played very well today. Only allowed one on thirty one. Pretty nice game game for him. It's a shame that he didn't get any help from the rest of the team.

I think that he has made some big steps since last season. I think that he still needs a little bit of time before he is really ready to become the number one guy here on the big club. Seems like he should be ready in the near future for that.

Thanks TeeMan

#17 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 09:32 PM

QUOTE (shannyfan1414 @ February 17, 2008 - 09:16PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I thought that he played very well today. Only allowed one on thirty one. Pretty nice game game for him. It's a shame that he didn't get any help from the rest of the team.

I think that he has made some big steps since last season. I think that he still needs a little bit of time before he is really ready to become the number one guy here on the big club. Seems like he should be ready in the near future for that.

Linds helped him out on more than one occasion.

Figures don't lie, but liars sure figure. - Mark Twain

#18 al48

al48

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 09:48 PM

QUOTE (Yzerfan1999 @ February 17, 2008 - 09:06PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I dont know if I would give him the number 1 role next year - you never want to break a goalie to early - M A Fleury...

I would see if he can handle split duties with Osgood.

Any comparison to Fleury is null. Jimmy's almost 24 guys. Fleury was thrown in when he was 19. Jimmy's not a friggen kid anymore, and needs to stop being looked at as one despite the baby face. He's only a month younger than Cam Ward.

Edited by al48, 17 February 2008 - 09:49 PM.

"I've been liquored up for 17 years. My judgement's not what it once was"

#19 Louisville

Louisville

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,513 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 09:52 PM

QUOTE (haroldsnepsts @ February 17, 2008 - 08:33PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Because it was one game.

Simple enough, but a concept lost on the minds of the weak.

Or just someone who is an idiot.

#20 cirov19

cirov19

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,683 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 10:11 PM

Regular Season Stats (for Howard obviously)

Season GPI Min W L OT GA SA SO GAA Sv%
2007-2008 3 137 0 1 0 3 60 0 1.31 .950

Three goals on sixty shots? Come on, that's gotta count for something.