• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

MissyLKS8

Banging on the glass at the Joe illegal?

Rate this topic

The glass is designed to absorb impact of players going outward, and not people shoving it inward. So banning the banging could actually cut down on wear & tear of the system.

there is some merit here as far as the pushing. i think most arenas do try and keep that under control. no need to have the glass shaking for half the rink because a fan is pushing on it. even if the possibility is small, no need to put that extra force on the dashers. but as far as just banging, the glass should be able to handle that just fine.

Agreed. I say boycott the ban by not buying seats right on the glass. Have a ton of home games, where no on the glass seats are filled. That will change their minds about the rule pretty quick. When people go overboard with it, its annoying, but nothing that big....

99% of those seats are already sold thru this season...

I wrote about this a few years back. Glass Bangers: True Fans or Morons?

My conclusion was the only people we should see up against the glass are fans like this;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91wKnJ4SFkg

While I'm not a fan of Glass banging, my least favorite thing to see at a game are the guys on the phone who stand up when the play is close to them so they can get on TV for a few seconds.

My conclusion was the only people we should see up against the glass are fans like this;

While I'm not a fan of Glass banging, my least favorite thing to see at a game are the guys on the phone who stand up when the play is close to them so they can get on TV for a few seconds.

Big fan of the babes that are into hockey. Although, she had a horrible jersey on, the Panthers babe could clearly do without it :thumbup:

^ That is how you properly distract a player.

banging on the glass after a goal or big hit = okay

banging on the glass because you're stupid enough to think you can distract the players or get their attention = uhhh

Guest scottj

What's the big deal with banging on the glass? Holy s***, I didn't know it was that big of a deal... 20000 people screaming is okay but one person hitting the glass for a couple seconds in soooooo neanderthal and annoying. Please

This wasn't aimed at you person above me, just a general reaction (can't edit post, on phone)

What's the big deal with banging on the glass? Holy s***, I didn't know it was that big of a deal... 20000 people screaming is okay but one person hitting the glass for a couple seconds in soooooo neanderthal and annoying.

I completely feel the same way.

i'd be embarassed if i was around her or with her. gross. even though i did just watch this video

Edited by hokeychik22

What's the big deal with banging on the glass? Holy s***, I didn't know it was that big of a deal... 20000 people screaming is okay but one person hitting the glass for a couple seconds in soooooo neanderthal and annoying. Please

This wasn't aimed at you person above me, just a general reaction (can't edit post, on phone)

A large part of it stems from my experience watching games on TV when for half of the game all you hear is BANGBANGBANGBANG because some moron near the ambient mics feels the need to pound on the glass. Like you say, you might as well just be cheering normally, it fits the ambience of the home crowd better and you're not making it sound like somebody is trying to break down the front door every 10 seconds.

Think about it this way. The glass is attached to the back side of the dasher boards and goes well below the top of the boards. When a player hits the glass, the force is received and dispersed as the glass flexes back against the boards. If the same force is applied from the other side, instead of receiving the force and being held in place by the boards, the bottom part of the glass can break free entirely of the boards, as the only thing preventing the glass from coming off by being hit from the outside is what is holding the glass on to begin with; in other words, not much when you consider the amount of force we are talking about.

Guest scottj

oh ya, cause that s*** happens all the time n the NHL never even caught on to a way to stop it from happening...

"When a player hits the glass, the force is received and dispersed as the glass flexes back against the boards. If the same force is applied from the other side"

something is tellin me that those two amounts of force are =/= at all

Wouldn't fans banging on the glass be considered a safety issue? What if a fan is banging on the glass in the corner, and then a player gets hit in the same corner hurting or possibly injuring the fan who's to close to the boards? The injured fan could file a law suit suing the team maybe?

I really don't have a problem with fans banging on the glass, but it's just a thought so the team doesn't get sued.

i could care less about people that bang on the glass.

Couldn't.

id bang that panthers chick into the glass if you know what i mean....

lol but really

That would be considered hitting from behind or boarding... Penalty for sure

she looks like a dude.

In terms of the glass banging; just another hockey pasttime that is losing to the new era of hockey.

Paper bag?

Edited by Rivalred