• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Howard He Do It?!

Howard He Do It?!

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,417 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 06:34 PM

Mike Modano doesn't shy away from it. His heart is finally buying what his body has been trying to sell him — this is it. He is saddling up for what almost certainly will be the final ride of his decorated 21-year NHL career and he knows it.

"If we go that far, if we get to the Stanley Cup Finals, it would be it for me," he said after the morning skate Friday.

With or without hoisting the Stanley Cup?

"Yeah," he said, "If we can get a nice, two-month run at the end here, I'd be happy with that. It would be worth it to have a nice long run to make this whole year worthwhile. It hasn't gone exactly how we all printed it up."

Full article

Edited by Howard He Do It?!, 08 April 2011 - 06:34 PM.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Round 1: Red Wings (4) vs. Coyotes (0)
Round 2: Red Wings (0) vs. Sharks (0)

#2 kylee

kylee

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 06:37 PM

At least he's clear about it, hate to nitpick but I'd prefer to hear him say publicly that he'd only retire if he got the cup but nonetheless hope to see him bring his all these playoffs!

#3 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 06:42 PM

Come on guys, now we have one more thing to play for!!!
"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#4 Mabuhay Red Wings

Mabuhay Red Wings

PACquiao!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 07:06 PM

"He debated all summer if he was going to play, so he missed a summer of training. He decided in August that he wanted to play and then he got hurt and missed three months. Can Mike have the magic in the playoffs that he's had? Possibly, but, possibly not."
From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/a...s#ixzz1Iynz7u3C

#5 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,661 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 07:14 PM

We don't need him back, whether we make it that far or not.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#6 Ray1905

Ray1905

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 07:19 PM

Modano won't retire this year that's for sure.

I dare the Wings to prove me wrong!
Read less, more TV.

#7 Yellowknife Redwing

Yellowknife Redwing

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 07:52 PM

He should retire either way. When it first became official that he was joining the team, I imagined his potential basement and ceiling with the club this year and he actually managed to do worse than my lowest expectations. Modano makes this team worse.

#8 brett

brett

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,974 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 09:40 PM

he wont be retiring this season then lol

#9 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 09:47 PM

Win it for Modano!

And Mike better play like a man possessed dammit.
Red Kelly #4 and Larry Aurie #6 belong in the rafters!!!

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#10 Mabuhay Red Wings

Mabuhay Red Wings

PACquiao!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 10:14 PM

Well, I believe we'll see Modano's best if/when he plays these playoff games.

#11 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 11:30 PM

Yeah I like Modano but I feel he does make this team worst and takes a roster spot for someone obviously younger...

#12 stevieisthebest

stevieisthebest

The Captain

• PipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 11:41 PM

mabuhay red wings, I really enjoy your posts, I think you're a great contributor to this forum, BUT your avatar makes my computer go really slow... maybe, just maybe consider changing your avatar? So i can enjoy LGW?
I know this is completely off topic, but thanks for the consideration.

Stevieisthebest
"15,395 Days since they won the cup...3 seconds left, THE DETROiT RED WINGS ARE THE STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!!!"

"Lemiuex was hammered by Darren McCarty, and he is being helped into the locker room."

Thanks Steve! #19
Thanks Nick! #5

#13 BigWillieStyle

BigWillieStyle

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 04:32 AM

Sure hope he gives it his all like Hossa did.

#14 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 09:11 AM

This is a bold statement coming from someone who took so damn long to agree on the terms of his contract.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#15 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,516 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 09:18 AM

Yeah I like Modano but I feel he does make this team worst and takes a roster spot for someone obviously younger...

He just seems to lack heart. He doesn't really try out there, and almost every interview he gives always sounds like he's ready to leave any day now and is just finishing out the year.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#16 Mors

Mors

The Red Death

• HoF Booster
  • 1,995 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 09:29 AM

He just seems to lack heart. He doesn't really try out there, and almost every interview he gives always sounds like he's ready to leave any day now and is just finishing out the year.

You sure you're thinking of Modano? Sounds a lot like Franzen and Hudler all season long.

#17 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,739 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 10:56 AM

Its these kinds of posts that really irk me. Modano hasn't had a great season thats for sure. I really feel if he was not injured for 3 months, he would have contributed a lot more. This being said, to say the guy lacks heart is really a punch in the balls. This guy had to go through a lot of physical therapy after a skate blade cut through his arm and severed a tendon. It takes a motivated man, a man possessed even, to go through that hell and be ready to play professional hockey in three months.

Modano and the rest of the Wings are going to play their hardest in the playoffs. This much I know of. As for him retiring, I surely hope he does as well. Modano is playing Dallas Drake minutes, and Drake knew his time was running short as well in 2008 when the playoffs started. It takes a real man to look on the career he has had and to make tough choices when it comes to moving on. The game of hockey could use a great retired player like Modano. Either working with Shanny at improving the game or working with the Stars as they rebuild.

Any forum member that considers themselves to be a Wings fan pointing fingers at the players and saying they have no heart is not a real fan. Back your team, players, and management. They have given the fans everything that they have wanted and then some. No other professional sports team has the record the Wings have had in the last 20+ years.
Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#18 Chunkylover

Chunkylover

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 11:05 AM

I guess the interesting thing to take from his statements is he actually thinks they could make it that far.

#19 South Dakota wings fan

South Dakota wings fan

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 11:29 AM

Sounds like he has already mentally retired and is just going through the motions.

The team just seems to lack a fire in their belly for winning. I'm fearful one and done may be the fate this year unless something drastically changes.

#20 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 01:04 PM

He should retire regardless of our progress. Washed up.

Ken Holland: Hes (Mursak) a young guy, provides energy, can skate, hes a puck hound.