• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Majsheppard

The easiest team to root for...

Rate this topic

I guess they didn't factor in unrealistic expectations... but the Wings are the easiest NHL team to love as a fan.

The methodology of this study, via The Business Journals, was based on a 50/50 formula:

Ten-season record: Half of each team's score was tied to its performance during the past 10 seasons. A team was awarded 10 points for each overall championship over that span, as well as six points for each losing appearance in the title game, three points for being eliminated in the semifinals of the playoffs, and one point for being eliminated in the quarterfinals.

Eight teams, as a result, divided a total of 26 points in each of a sport's 10 seasons. The total 10-year scores for all teams were then converted to a standard deviation scale.

Landmarks: The other 50 percent of each team's score was based on the number of seasons that have elapsed since the team last reached three key landmarks:

Its most recent overall championship

Its most recent appearance in the title game, whether winning or losing

Its most recent appearance in the quarterfinals of the playoffs, whether winning or losing

If a team has not reached a given landmark in its history, the figure inserted in the appropriate category was the number of years the franchise has existed.

Each team's 10-year totals in the three categories were converted to standard deviation scales.

Edited by Majsheppard

This really shouldnt be a surprise to anybody. 20 straight playoff seasons, countless division titles in that streak, and our last 2 captains were 2 of the most loved, and skilled players ever.

It surprises me from reading the boards, and the emotional damage it does to me personally.

There are a couple of years as a fan that shortened my life span for sure.

I find #3 more interesting...

Yeah the Ducks... maybe because their fans can go to the beach afterwards. :D

There is such a drop off... I find it odd though because Pitt was going to close shop. I kinda wish Crosby's career ends just to see if it happens again. The list bugs me.

Guest CaliWingsNut

It's easy to root for a team that leads the league in PIM every year.

They haven't done that for a while... They've gone down in PIM ever since Burke left them (granted they are still near the top).

My favorite teams are obviously the Red Wings, all sports for my college alma mater (went to school in Texas), the New Orleans Saints since I've lived here all my life, and I'm also an LSU fan even though I didn't go there for school.

I've deviated some from the Saints when they were bad for a good bit of the 90s, but I'll still watch them and do good. Same with LSU. As for how I liked Detroit, a good bit of it came with them being good at the time (mid 90s) and just starting to get into hockey in general. So, I guess you could say how I like teams is that I am extremely devoted to the places I live or have ties to, or I like teams that are good. Given that I barely miss any Wings games now and they are still good, I hope to still follow them plenty whenever they start to hit a downslide.

As for disliking teams or players, sure I have them, but it takes a lot to really really want me to see a team or players fail or get into heated rivalries and things like that. I get them, but I don't like going into it. People anywhere in Texas are/were abosolutely beyond nuts about their allegiances or dogging other state schools and that's just something I never got into when I was there (actually I frequently run into a Texas A&M alum at my gym most days but we never get into rivalries and stuff, not worth it to either of us - I went to TCU), a lot of LSU fans down here go off the deep end in disliking pretty much any other SEC Conference school, I've seen plenty of examples of Wings fans in here just going overboard in dislike. Again I get it, it can be fun but I've just seen way too many instances of it going overboard so I just pretty much stick to wanting my team to win and that's it.

Bottom line there's not right/wrong reason to really start liking or following a team.

Guest Shoreline

Here are my favorite sports teams.

Detroit Red Wings

New York Yankees

LA Lakers

Pittsburgh Steelers

FC Barcelona

Whoa me too! What a coincidence! :o

Congratulations, you've just passed the U.S. citizenship exam. Welcome to America.

FC Barcelona? Why do you hate America so much?

For the last three, not Bahstin Celtics, New England Patriots and Manchester United?

Lakers beat the Celtics in their last Finals meeting in 2010.

Steelers have won 2 Superbowls since the Patriots last win.

FC Barcelona owned ManU last month in the championship game. Also, they have Messi, and not Mickey Rooney's grandson. ;)

Guest Shoreline

What is this "Celtics" you speak of? The only thing I ever hear about is some "Sell-ticks".

Heard it from some "Bird" on her way to the mall to pick up Rosetta Stone.

I find sometimes during the playoffs it's tough to be a Wings fan just because expectations are so high, and when we don't win there's so much criticism from the media, fans of other teams, and even Wings fans.

However once the playoffs are over, and when I go through all my Championship gear, collectibles, and games from 1997, 1998, 2002, and 2008, I'm reminded how luck I am to see 6 Western Conference Championships, and 4 Stanley Cup Championships.

Guest Shoreline

I find sometimes during the playoffs it's tough to be a Wings fan just because expectations are so high, and when we don't win there's so much criticism from the media, fans of other teams, and even Wings fans.

However once the playoffs are over, and when I go through all my Championship gear, collectibles, and games from 1997, 1998, 2002, and 2008, I'm reminded how luck I am to see 6 Western Conference Championships, and 4 Stanley Cup Championships.

I'm pretty sure just about every fan here has high expectations of the team, deservedly so. Although, if Puck Daddy read the Red Wings forum, he might come to a different interpretation of "happy", to "schizo" or "old man's bitching relentlessly syndrome".

its a cool analysis, but to imply a purely empirical breakdown of playoff success directly correlates to how easy it is to be a fan of a team is simply absurd. had they simply titled the article 'most playoff success in recent years' it would have been great.

but the instant you bring in the factor of fans and emotions it is no longer a simple statistical breakdown. expectations play a factor. regular season success not leading to playoff success plays a factor. not being able to take the next step in the playoffs is a factor.