• Please log in to reply
224 replies to this topic

#141 Scott Stevens

Scott Stevens

Rookie

• Pip
  • 181 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 10:22 PM

No, what you're doing is trying to cover for the fact that you made a statement utterly lacking in substance. And you're just making yourself look sillier in doing so, given that Franzen played great against the Sharks in 2010; nobody in his or her right mind could refer to his performance as "no-showing," given his production and given that he virtually won an entire game by himself (and LOL @ you calling any playoff game a "meaningless game"). He didn't no-show in 2011 either, given that it's nearly impossible to effectively play hockey on a busted ankle.

So you're saying he's injury prone? What good does that do us? FACE IT - Franzen isn't helping us beat the Sharks. And we need someone who can.

#142 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 12:39 AM

So you're saying he's injury prone? What good does that do us? FACE IT - Franzen isn't helping us beat the Sharks. And we need someone who can.

He was injured for one playoff season. I guess Zetterberg being injured in the 2007 playoffs meant he sucks in your eyes, huh? Or maybe Datsyuk in 2009, eh?

You're trying too hard, and it's for a bad cause. Just admit that you made a baseless claim and let's be done with it.

#143 Scott Stevens

Scott Stevens

Rookie

• Pip
  • 181 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 02:22 AM

He was injured for one playoff season. I guess Zetterberg being injured in the 2007 playoffs meant he sucks in your eyes, huh? Or maybe Datsyuk in 2009, eh?

You're trying too hard, and it's for a bad cause. Just admit that you made a baseless claim and let's be done with it.

Crysmon,

You're gripping because you know we need a big body on that top line with Z, and if Franzen can't provide that, then we really don't have much hope in the playoffs. Just take a deep breath and rethink this one. You'll see that the point I'm trying to make is that Franzen is key to our success and has to show up.

#144 pockets

pockets

Pockets Smash

• PipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 02:55 AM

Franzen suffers from laziness. With that said WHEN Franzen WANTS he can open up the ice just fine. And in the end it might not even be laziness but at times it seems that hes just trying to skate thru a game(pun intended) and just relying on our good centers to make things happen for him instead of working himself

#145 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 03:06 AM

Crysmon,

You're gripping because you know we need a big body on that top line with Z, and if Franzen can't provide that, then we really don't have much hope in the playoffs.

Uhhh.... what?

Just take a deep breath and rethink this one. You'll see that the point I'm trying to make is that Franzen is key to our success and has to show up.

That point makes no sense. He "showed up" in a huge way in 2008, 2009, and 2010, and all that prevented a repeat least season was an injury to his ankle.

#146 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 07:47 AM

Franzen suffers from laziness. With that said WHEN Franzen WANTS he can open up the ice just fine. And in the end it might not even be laziness but at times it seems that hes just trying to skate thru a game(pun intended) and just relying on our good centers to make things happen for him instead of working himself

Agree 100% with this. I know its the case with virtually every scoring winger in the NHL, but I think Franzen more often than others, needs great centers to be effective, without them he seems to float around doing very little. He seems to be over reliant on Hank and Flip ect feeding him perfect plays. Hes a dominant force when hes on and when he wants to be, but whats stopping him from being truly elite is his work ethic, if he brought it every single night hes be almost unstoppable.

Ken Holland: Hes (Mursak) a young guy, provides energy, can skate, hes a puck hound.

#147 Scott Stevens

Scott Stevens

Rookie

• Pip
  • 181 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 10:26 AM

I'm glad someone realizes that a winger can only be so good depending on the center he has to play with. I think a lot of people on here wouldn't know why Jari Kurri ended up with 600 goals and Willy Lindstrom did not.

#148 Scott Stevens

Scott Stevens

Rookie

• Pip
  • 181 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 10:34 AM

Uhhh.... what?

That point makes no sense. He "showed up" in a huge way in 2008, 2009, and 2010, and all that prevented a repeat least season was an injury to his ankle.

Crysmon,

The people in the other Hudler thread are saying Franzen is a floater. Do you agree with that?

#149 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 12:04 PM

Crysmon,

The people in the other Hudler thread are saying Franzen is a floater. Do you agree with that?

Your attempt to change the subject here is very transparent.

#150 Scott Stevens

Scott Stevens

Rookie

• Pip
  • 181 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 12:14 PM

Your attempt to change the subject here is very transparent.

We already discussed his no-show the last 2 years against the Sharks. What else do you want me to rehash?

#151 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 12:19 PM

Glad to see Hudler is playing well.

#152 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 12:21 PM

We already discussed his no-show the last 2 years against the Sharks. What else do you want me to rehash?

We didn't discuss it at all. You spent several posts trying to cover for the fact that your "Franzen's 2010 playoffs were MISERABLE!" comment was utter nonsense. I'm not sure if you really want people to believe that you feel Franzen no-showed the playoffs that year. They would likely not think very well of you, given that he was one of the best playoff performers of any team in that offseason.

#153 Scott Stevens

Scott Stevens

Rookie

• Pip
  • 181 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 12:29 PM

We didn't discuss it at all. You spent several posts trying to cover for the fact that your "Franzen's 2010 playoffs were MISERABLE!" comment was utter nonsense. I'm not sure if you really want people to believe that you feel Franzen no-showed the playoffs that year. They would likely not think very well of you, given that he was one of the best playoff performers of any team in that offseason.

Franzen killed it in ONE game in 2010 and wasn't the same in all the rest. He hasn't played like himself the last 2 playoff seasons. The Sharks have something to do with this, because they are good. But he has to pick it up this year. Everyone knows this.

#154 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 12:41 PM

Franzen killed it in ONE game in 2010 and wasn't the same in all the rest. He hasn't played like himself the last 2 playoff seasons. The Sharks have something to do with this, because they are good. But he has to pick it up this year. Everyone knows this.

Franzen was scoring a point per game throughout the playoffs otherwise and was drawing great reviews from every analyst. And then, yes, he basically won a vital game by himself as well. As for "not being himself" in the rest of the games, LOL... if ANY player was regularly like Franzen was in game four, then that player's team would never lose. Franzen's game four against the Sharks in 2010 was one of the best playoff games ever played by any player. If you're expecting that out of him or anyone, then you're going to be disappointed. But you don't expect that; you're just saying all of this to cover for the fact that you made a baseless statement.

You're trying toooooo hard.

Edited by Crymson, 15 October 2011 - 01:12 PM.

#155 Scott Stevens

Scott Stevens

Rookie

• Pip
  • 181 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 01:26 PM

Franzen was scoring a point per game throughout the playoffs otherwise and was drawing great reviews from every analyst. And then, yes, he basically won a vital game by himself as well. As for "not being himself" in the rest of the games, LOL... if ANY player was regularly like Franzen was in game four, then that player's team would never lose. Franzen's game four against the Sharks in 2010 was one of the best playoff games ever played by any player. If you're expecting that out of him or anyone, then you're going to be disappointed. But you don't expect that; you're just saying all of this to cover for the fact that you made a baseless statement.

You're trying toooooo hard.

Let's just see if Franzen can get back to his old self. We need it. Hudler is back to his old self. Now we gotta get Franzen back.

#156 Kerjuxaxaxa

Kerjuxaxaxa

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 90 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 01:45 PM

Let's just see if Franzen can get back to his old self. We need it. Hudler is back to his old self. Now we gotta get Franzen back.

Are you confident with Hudler? We only have seen 3.66 % of the regular season.

#157 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 02:03 PM

I'm glad someone realizes that a winger can only be so good depending on the center he has to play with. I think a lot of people on here wouldn't know why Jari Kurri ended up with 600 goals and Willy Lindstrom did not.

Jari Kurri is one of the best wingers to ever play. Sure, his stats would not be as good had he not played with Gretzky. But he was an absolutely elite goal scorer, and a top notch defensive forward. In his prime there wasn't a better winger on either side of the rink. I would personally rank him above Brett Hull all-time.

Brett Hull had a couple good seasons without Adam Oates. When he was playing with Craig Janney, another top playmaker. But he never scored 50 goals (or 50-goal pace, if you project the 95 season) without Oates or Janney.
"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#158 Scott Stevens

Scott Stevens

Rookie

• Pip
  • 181 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 02:40 PM

Are you confident with Hudler? We only have seen 3.66 % of the regular season.

Oh yah. Hudler is back. Franzen is still working his way back. He's doing pretty good, but he has a lot more to prove this year than Hudler does.

#159 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 03:07 PM

Oh yah. Hudler is back. Franzen is still working his way back. He's doing pretty good, but he has a lot more to prove this year than Hudler does.

That's debateable. Hudler didn't have a great series against San Jose after having done extremely well in 2008 and 2009. He didn't create many chances for the first 15 games or so of last season and then didn't capitalize for the next 15 after that, before finally starting to produce. He ended up having a stellar second half, but overall his season was poor compared to expectations and his previous performances - and ultimately a disappointment - despite the fact his scoring was at low-end top-six forward level.

Franzen had a great first half before disappearing down the stretch. He looked good offensively in the first game of the playoffs but was poor defensively, and was then injured and it was hard to tell whether his ineffective play after that was injury-related or simply a continuation of his slump.

But overall, Franzen's season came out to about what was expected of him; he put up around 50 points, and led the team in goals.

If the second half play of each player continues into this year, Franzen will definitely have some 'splainin' to do. But right now Hudler is the one who is in the hot seat. Well, Ericsson probably moreso, given his new deal, Hudler's past performances in 2008 and 2009, and the way Kindl has been consistently pressing on whoever is above him in the depth chart (nearly stealing Salei's spot last year, pushing hard to take the #5 spot this year) one could say that E is the guy who has the most to prove.
"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#160 Scott Stevens

Scott Stevens

Rookie

• Pip
  • 181 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 03:23 PM

That's debateable. Hudler didn't have a great series against San Jose after having done extremely well in 2008 and 2009. He didn't create many chances for the first 15 games or so of last season and then didn't capitalize for the next 15 after that, before finally starting to produce. He ended up having a stellar second half, but overall his season was poor compared to expectations and his previous performances - and ultimately a disappointment - despite the fact his scoring was at low-end top-six forward level.

Franzen had a great first half before disappearing down the stretch. He looked good offensively in the first game of the playoffs but was poor defensively, and was then injured and it was hard to tell whether his ineffective play after that was injury-related or simply a continuation of his slump.

But overall, Franzen's season came out to about what was expected of him; he put up around 50 points, and led the team in goals.

If the second half play of each player continues into this year, Franzen will definitely have some 'splainin' to do. But right now Hudler is the one who is in the hot seat. Well, Ericsson probably moreso, given his new deal, Hudler's past performances in 2008 and 2009, and the way Kindl has been consistently pressing on whoever is above him in the depth chart (nearly stealing Salei's spot last year, pushing hard to take the #5 spot this year) one could say that E is the guy who has the most to prove.

The Mule can be a force when he's ON. He's been OFF for a while now. I just want to see him get back on track and become the wrecking ball he used to be. Hudler has never been a force. He's always been a crafty 30-40 point third liner. I don't see what's wrong with giving him 5 years / 12.5 million to play his role on the team.