• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#21 WizardOfOz30

WizardOfOz30

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,726 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:48 PM

Most states have a law that says you are only able to move a child so many miles away from their non-custodial parent. Michigan is 100 miles, so if they want to move any farther the court has to decide and it's up to the one that wants to move to prove that it would be to improve the quality of life for the child...and even then they don't have to say yes.

Posted Image

Thanks Offsides

"If I could sum up my career in Detroit, I was a perfect goalie for the team at the perfect time. I just wanted to be a Red Wing, that's it." Chris Osgood, July 19, 2011

#22 P. Marlowe

P. Marlowe

4th Line Heel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,545 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:49 PM

POPULAR

"Personal reasons" means it's none of our business.

"Finger-pointing is easy. In some cases, even therapeutic. Fans need to blame something,

because the outcome is so frustratingly out of their control."
-- Mitch Albom

| Terry Sawchuk & Johnny Bower | | Extra Protection | | "Luckies never cut my wind." | | Straight to the Goal | | Dodging Traffic | | Mike Grier? |

#23 Hairy Lime

Hairy Lime

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 05:01 PM

His wife has a daughter with another man. She can't move out of the state of California with her daughter... and obviously she's not going to leave her daughter behind.

Then why doesn't Stuart just have the father knocked off? That's what they always do on "Discovery ID".

#24 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,816 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 05:30 PM

His wife has a daughter with another man. She can't move out of the state of California with her daughter... and obviously she's not going to leave her daughter behind.

This.

The only way the child could reside in another state is if the father of that child would relinquish parental rights - thus allowing the mother, and said child to move elsewhere...Since the father wants to be a part of his daughter's life (I'm assuming this is the case here) - the Stewart clan more, or less will stay in California.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#25 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,942 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 05:43 PM

As I recall, when Stu was traded here, the little girl was about 9 or 10. They obviously didn't move at that time since it was near the end of the season and it was a rental. He would be UFA in a few months and there was a new baby on the way.

He then got a 4-year contract with a partial NTC. I remember that it was said at that time that he wanted to stay put until his step-daughter reached high school so that she wouldn't have to be uprooted again.

It seems that the plan was to bring her here. I knew a lady who was divorced in California, and in her case, in order to move away, she had to send her kids to live with their dad in the summer in order to avoid the every-other-weekend visits, which would not have worked over such a long distance.

The only reason she got that was that her ex allowed it.

Apparently in Stuie's case, either the dad or the courts didn't allow it, or he and his wife decided not to move the family.

I do recall that he declined a better offer from Calgary because he didn't want to send the little girl through customs alone on her visitations. Considering that he's from Alberta, that must have been a sacrifice.

Hearing how he has put his wife and her child ahead of his own interests has given me a huge amount of respect for him. I would love for him to stay, but I understand why he wants to be back with his wife and 4-year-old son.

It has to have been rough for him to be away from his little boy, yet he has honoured his contract with the Wings, even though things apparently didn't go as planned.

I wish him well where ever he goes, even if it's with an icky team like the Ducks.

#26 wingfan1991

wingfan1991

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 06:11 PM

Why can't Ilitch use his mob connections to bypass all this California law s***?

lol good one

#27 wings1110

wings1110

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 07:39 PM

Im assumibng Stuart didn't say he wasn't going to resign, or say he wanted to be on the west coast during negotiations about a contract because the wings would try to do something during the offseason/during the deadline I'm assuming (and maybe wants to stay), because the wings are the type of organization that try to do the best they can for any player.. \I.E. commie.. If stuart wanted to be in cali the wings would try to do something to trade him to cali (their would have been insiders saying there was at least discussions going on with a team in cali?)They let salei and/or both go to cali last season skip games to be with their families, they care about their players more than just pieces of meat unlike many organizations around the world (NHL, Minor Leagues, JR's) but I'm drunk so idk what the f*** is going on... :beerbuddy:

#28 lookalive07

lookalive07

--19--

• PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:25 PM

My 2 cents:

My girlfriend of almost 3 years got a job in Boston and I started graduate school in Ohio. Aside from my Spring Break, part of my Winter Break, and me hopefully getting an internship there in the summer, I don't see her. We decided to do long distance, which on a relationship between two people really, really sucks to not be able to see each other that much.

Comparing my situation to Stuart's makes mine look like af****** cakewalk, and I assure you, it isn't easy. The dude is married and has children and has to deal with essentially a full time job with a short amount of leisure in the Summers in the off season. I'm sure it's pretty psychologically draining and I can totally understand his reasons for likely wanting to sign somewhere a lot closer to home. He'd at least have a home to go back to for 41 games out of the year.

Posted Image

#29 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:45 PM

There was an article in the Freep I think about this months ago. The father won't let the daughter leave the state, or else the Stuart's don't want her to be separated from her father. At any rate, it's custody issues.

And it was pretty well assumed by the Wings that Stuart wouldn't resign in '08, either. His daughter is 17, I think the article said, meaning in a year she can move wherever. So he may just decide to tough it out another year.

Edited by VM1138, 28 February 2012 - 10:46 PM.

Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#30 WMUCarGuy

WMUCarGuy

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:47 PM

I see almost no chance that Stuie will be a Red Wing come next year. His wife is tugging on the old ball and chain and making him come back to Cali.

#31 BigWillieStyle

BigWillieStyle

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:21 PM

Didn't realize that he married Pronger's wife. :ph34r:

In all seriousness, I'm pretty sure that Brad and his wife don't want to disrupt her daughters relationship with her father. Even though they could afford to fly her back and forth to California every weekend to see him. Another factor is that her family is from the San Jose area, so she has family members near her to help keep her own sense of family. I applaud both of them for doing what is right for her/their children. In today's world, it's good to see parents putting their children's interests before their own. I have known plenty of people who have uprooted their families and moved for a job that lasted one year, when it would have probably been easier to just take an apartment for the year, and leave their family where they were and travel home on a weekend every few months. I kind of equate Stewie's time here to that of a soldier on his 4th tour of duty, and he is finally being released and able to go home for good.

Whatever his decision is, I'm sure he'll do it with his families best interest in mind, and that doesn't look good for The Wings.

#32 lookalive07

lookalive07

--19--

• PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:29 AM

All the more reason to push for Shea Weber or Ryan Suter and a very high caliber forward. Stuart's going to be missed and we'll have more than enough cap room to do both.

Posted Image

#33 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 02:28 AM

All the more reason to push for Shea Weber or Ryan Suter and a very high caliber forward. Stuart's going to be missed and we'll have more than enough cap room to do both.

Well Weber is a RFA but still...

A top four of

Lidstrom-White \ Weber
Kronwall-Weber \ White

is... well, would any other team in the league have a better top four?

#34 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:57 AM

So what we're getting at is his wife's ex-husband is responsible for Stuart leaving us this offseason? *******. Which leads me to believe that he most likely as an ******* before all of this!

The ex-husband wants to be near his daughter, that's not a bad thing, he has every right to see his daughter. Its up to Stuart to decide for himself what is best for him and his relationships, if he makes a grown up decision that he wants to be closer to his family I think every Red Wings fan should support him. I feel bad for even having to say this but there are some things more important than hockey.
Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#35 redstag88

redstag88

Prospect

• 42 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:06 AM

"Personal reasons" means it's none of our business.

Exactly

#36 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,816 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:07 AM

Didn't realize that he married Pronger's wife. :ph34r:

:lol:

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#37 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 06:45 PM

At this time/point of his career Brad Stuart should do whatever is the best for his family.
"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan

#38 Manny>Ozzie(by a long shot)

Manny>Ozzie(by a long shot)

Starting Goaltender

• PipPipPipPip
  • 855 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 06:59 PM

Maybe he is just using it as a negotiation ploy like lidstrom did.
[ Image violated Forum Guidelines. Please use images sixed 400x100 pixels or smaller. ]

Just playin Chris, you know I love you!

lilja is an icelandic pony
lilja is an average high girl with blond hair and very sexy
lilja is about the sweetest kitten we have raised here
lilja is the comatose victim of a questionable accident

#39 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:09 AM

Most states have a law that says you are only able to move a child so many miles away from their non-custodial parent. Michigan is 100 miles, so if they want to move any farther the court has to decide and it's up to the one that wants to move to prove that it would be to improve the quality of life for the child...and even then they don't have to say yes.

The thing that doesn't make sense to me is that if they went to the court and said. If the kid moves to Michigan, her mother will remain married to a guy pulling in millions of dollars a year. This is in the benefit of the kid.

I would imagine that would make an easy case to win. If I was Stuart, I would also just offer to buy a house for the real father to live in rent free in Michigan. Unless the other guy makes 7 figures.
"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#40 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,942 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:35 AM

Or it could be that Stuie is just a decent guy who realizes that he could have to move at the drop or a hat, and that it is important for a child to be with her father, and he's doing the decent thing.

More power to him.