• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 Kindl Surprise

Kindl Surprise

Rookie

• Pip
  • 138 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 07:17 AM

You have to take into consideration also that being the sixth seed would provide a higher seeded second round opponent if we were to make it past the first round.

#22 barabbas16

barabbas16

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:34 AM

You have to take into consideration also that being the sixth seed would provide a higher seeded second round opponent if we were to make it past the first round.

Odds are, if they win the 1st round, they'll be playing St. Louis or Vancouver on the road in the 2nd round anyway - a coin flip in my mind. And then, if they win there, they will be on the road the rest of the way no matter who they play.

If it is LA or San Jose, I could argue either way so I'm not sure I have a preference.... the travel sucks, obviously. But, I think Nashville is more likely to beat Detroit than LA or San Jose.

However, if Phoenix wins their last game, they get the 3 seed. If that happens, I think the 6 seed is the best spot as far as chances to move forward. They've beaten the Yotes in the 1st round of the playoffs the past two years (and this year they won't be playing San Jose in the 2nd round if that happens!). As well as he has been playing, I'd rather face Mike Smith than Quick or Rinne. And, Niemi/Smith is a little closer, but the Sharks lineup is scarier than Phoenix's overall.

That said, I will not be rooting for Chicago this afternoon and we get who we get.

#23 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:52 AM

I hate this widespread thought process. You're going to play tough teams in the playoffs. Better to get them out of the way first. Besides, 4th would position the Wings for some home ice in a lot of circumstances down the road, which the Wings DESPERATELY need.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#24 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,202 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:00 AM

But plenty have gotten to the Finals, and in recent memory. As someone said, it's more likely to happen nowadays than ever with parity.

Problem is, most of those teams battled their way into the playoffs to clinch those lower seeds. This team has bungled their way into the playoffs and is on a cold streak right now. I don't see that kind of 6 seed going to the Finals.

Exactly.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#25 Dimaline312000

Dimaline312000

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 02:06 PM

To me if it came down to playing the Preds or the Yotes in the 1st round. I'd probably rather play the Yotes even though we've played them the past two seasons in the 1st round than got knocked out in the 2nd round. Preds are a much better team than the Yotes and while the Yotes have improved alot this season I think we could still take them if the Wings work hard enoough.