• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Tim.D

Brad Stuart's rights traded to San Jose

Rate this topic

Thanks a lot, Brad for the years you played for the Wings. Your effort and desire were never questioned. It's good that you'll get to spend more time with your family. Children only grow up once and you would forever regret not being there to watch it.

Edited by MidMichSteve

Don't let the door hit you on the ass Stuart. I don't feel bad for anyone who makes multiple million dollars a year in a occupation that is not family friendly and then complains about not getting to see their family. If he really wanted to see them more he'd just retire.

Did you have the same attitude when Brian Rafalski signed here to be closer to his family?

Guest Shoreline

A couple thoughts:

- It's been known for a while that Stu wanted to go back to California, he also played quite a few years with the Sharks.

- Lids' retiring was the perfect opportunity for him to jump ship.. not sure the direction KH is taking the team.

- I still believe him when he says it's for family related reasons, why wouldn't it be?

- .. and lastly he's not leaving on bad terms whatsoever.

He had a great tenure with the Wings, was a class act, and I wish him well. Don't see why a few posters here have such an ex-girlfriend attitude about him leaving, but whatever. The Wings sure have one hell of a gaping defence though.

This summer is going to be very interesting as to what Kenny does.

Q is the replacement for Stu.....Q is not as good in his own end as Stu, but he's not bad either. Plus he's a bit more mobile, has an offensive touch to his game, is younger than the aging Stuart, and is cheaper. I'll take him as the new Stewie any day of the week. And that 3-way trade we did to get him was absolutely marvelous....still gets me hard like a diamond in an ice storm.

Still have to replace Lidstrom. July 1st is coming.

Yeah I understand, I am just optimistic on Quincey. When we traded for him, I was happy. I thought the 1st rounder was kind of steep though. But since coming over I don't think he has played anything above par. I guess more or less its just the way Holland was quoting saying that. Either way we need to fill some gaps, and the wings could be looking pretty different come 2012-2013 season. We shall see what happens! :D

Parting ways with Stuart lets this team get fresher on D it's a good thing... I personally felt Stuart was awful the last 2 seasons and wasn't much help on most nights but that's just me... I think Kronwall will benefit from a new partner and were transitioning to a team that will get better with more experience given to the young guys instead of getting worse each year because of age... Stuart isn't a top 4 d man on a Stanley cup winning team at this point in his career

Well, I don't know. Every other time a player's rights have been traded it netted far more than this... I really would have rather tried to get a bit more from the Ducks or the Kings than just get a 7th.

I thought perhaps we could have gotten at least a 4th.

Its really Stuart's fault that Kenny only got a 7th out of the rights, because he made his desire to be in San Jose public. The Wings are lucky they got anything. If they had kept it private, maybe they would have gotten a higher pick.

Its really Stuart's fault that Kenny only got a 7th out of the rights, because he made his desire to be in San Jose public. The Wings are lucky they got anything. If they had kept it private, maybe they would have gotten a higher pick.

Stuart going public with his desire to be in California did not hurt us whatsoever. Trading rights for picks almost always involves the pick being conditional...if the player signs with the other team you get the draft pick, or the pick becomes a higher draft pick. If he doesn't sign you either don't get the draft pick you traded for or it becomes a lower pick.

So essentially if we had say traded Stuart's rights to Toronto for a fourth round conditional....he wouldn't have signed there (wants to be in Cali) and we would have either lost the fourth rounder and got nothing, or the fourth would have become something like a 7th anyway....Holland just skipped all that BS, got his 7th, and did Stewie a solid in the process.

Perhaps if SJ didn't know they were Stewies #1 choice we could have gotten more out of them....but they knew regardless of whether Stewie went public or not....He has friends in their organization/team and his family still lives in the area....they knew the situation.

He was a solid d-man, bummer to see him go, although like Lidstrom retiring this off season, we all knew it was an inevitability.

I feel kinda bad for Stuart with all the family stuff and not being able to fly the entire family out to see him. Yet another glaring example of why you should NEVER get romantically involved with someone who already has kids by someone else. Its almost guaranteed to be drama. (I know, been there, done that)

the MLive article seemed to show Jason Garrison available too from Florida. If Tallon doesn't throw the bank at him, I'd like to see Detroit take a run at him. Easily the #1 defenceman on the Panthers last year. He's big, scored a lot of goals last year.

Stuart was a great stay-at-home defenseman. I think we could have used his underrated shot a bit more in some situations (mostly when our PP was floundering and Babs was mixing things up). He was a great checker, worked hard on the PK, and complimented Kronwall's game (step up in the offense) very well.

Have fun in SJ, just not so much fun that you beat us.

the MLive article seemed to show Jason Garrison available too from Florida. If Tallon doesn't throw the bank at him, I'd like to see Detroit take a run at him. Easily the #1 defenceman on the Panthers last year. He's big, scored a lot of goals last year.

Agreed. My dream off season would be Sutter, Garrison, Moen and Parise. But yea, we'll see..

Wow, not exactly what I thought Stuart would garner in return...but whatever. We knew he was going no matter what, whether it was on July 1st or not, we basically got nothing in return except some trade fodder. Really though, Holland gave up a 2nd & 4th for him, now he is only worth a conditional? Crazy...

BTW - HELL NO TO QUINCEY! Holland, THINK! A 1st and a 3rd! Sh!t, if Stuart was only worth a conditional, you could essentially be "trading" Stuart/Quincey for a 1st, 3rd, Condition, Murray. Letting Quincey go RFA would more than make up for getting squat for Stuart's rights.

Wow, not exactly what I thought Stuart would garner in return...but whatever. We knew he was going no matter what, whether it was on July 1st or not, we basically got nothing in return except some trade fodder. Really though, Holland gave up a 2nd & 4th for him, now he is only worth a conditional? Crazy...

BTW - HELL NO TO QUINCEY! Holland, THINK! A 1st and a 3rd! Sh!t, if Stuart was only worth a conditional, you could essentially be "trading" Stuart/Quincey for a 1st, 3rd, Condition, Murray. Letting Quincey go RFA would more than make up for getting squat for Stuart's rights.

He's only worth a conditional because of the situation. I assume he would be worth around the same as before if he wasn't planning on leaving regardless.

Murray is listed at 6'2 215lbs....maybe he is the "big bottom six center" we are going to aquire... :ph34r:

i took a look at his profile too. i was pleasantly surprised that he was over 6 feet and that he hits. he'd be a great grinder for the 4th line by the looks of it and he's now in the Wings organization, so they may as well work with him and see what he can do.

Because Stuart was leaving Detroit to play in California regardless. A little something is better then nothing at all. You don't usually get much for trading rights especially when the team he was traded to essentially knows they have a 1/3 or 0.33% chance to sign him. (3 teams in California where he said he wanted to be).

1/3 =/= 0.33%

Sorry, couldn't resist. To me that is like using the wrong "your" or "their."

He's only worth a conditional because of the situation. I assume he would be worth around the same as before if he wasn't planning on leaving regardless.

I would also like to add that the rights to a player weeks before they become a free agent (and after the season has ended) typically aren't worth much. Additionally, the whole world knows Stuart wants to play in California, which makes it idfficult to get a good return on him. Why should San Jose give us more, when they know we likely aren't going to get anything from 26 other teams?

Helene St. James via twitter: Brad Stuart on Red Wings GM Ken Holland: ”To make this move speaks volumes for the Wings. If it doesn’t work out, Ken indicated they’d still like to have me.”

Maybe they won't be able to work out a deal in Cali.. Haha call it wishful thinking?

I would also like to add that the rights to a player weeks before they become a free agent (and after the season has ended) typically aren't worth much. Additionally, the whole world knows Stuart wants to play in California, which makes it idfficult to get a good return on him. Why should San Jose give us more, when they know we likely aren't going to get anything from 26 other teams?

I am thinking also, Holland probably asked Brad, which team to you want to go to and he picked SJ. So, that is what we got. We all knew Brad was leaving so that is not a shock. Lets hope Holland makes some magic on Draft/UFA day, that is what we are all looking forward to...we all know who "we'd" like to see be Red Wings...Let's hope Holland is able to add the 4-5 players he says he'd like to add!

might I add, re-signing Hudler & Holmstrom will seriously impact our chances of "getting better" this off season...There is simply just no room, unless he trades some folks...(coughFranzencough) :ninja:

Edited by LeftWinger

Stuart going public with his desire to be in California did not hurt us whatsoever. Trading rights for picks almost always involves the pick being conditional...if the player signs with the other team you get the draft pick, or the pick becomes a higher draft pick. If he doesn't sign you either don't get the draft pick you traded for or it becomes a lower pick.

So essentially if we had say traded Stuart's rights to Toronto for a fourth round conditional....he wouldn't have signed there (wants to be in Cali) and we would have either lost the fourth rounder and got nothing, or the fourth would have become something like a 7th anyway....Holland just skipped all that BS, got his 7th, and did Stewie a solid in the process.

Perhaps if SJ didn't know they were Stewies #1 choice we could have gotten more out of them....but they knew regardless of whether Stewie went public or not....He has friends in their organization/team and his family still lives in the area....they knew the situation.

you aren't understanding the point he was trying to make. what he is saying is that it was hard to get any value for his rights because everyone knew he had a short list of teams. the reason teams will give more for negotiating rights is they know they are competing against many other teams and getting that exclusive window is important. but since the sharks knew they had a high probability of signing him regardless, they had little motivation to give up anything of value just for the chance to sign him now instead of july first.

the most likely scenario was that they got word that anaheim wanted to offer him a contract so they gave up an asset to make sure anaheim never got the chance...