Photo
- - - - -

Flyers sign Weber to offer sheet: 14y/$110m ($56m 1st 4yrs)

shea weber nashville predators philadelphia flyers offer sheet

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
475 replies to this topic

#221 Wing Across The Pond

Wing Across The Pond

Gabriel's Wings

• Silver Booster
  • 744 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:18 PM

Kovalchuk's deal paid him until he was 44 I believe with the last 7 years being at 1 million dollars a season.

The NHL didn't believe he had any intention of playing those years out, and ruled they were added just to artificially lower his cap hit.

So again what's the real difference? How much is Weber being paid in the last few years?

Posted Image

Check out my blog -The Heid-Out- a cynical mans take on everyday life

#222 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:18 PM

Your first mistake is confusing a question with an 'argument'. You make valid points and I accept your reasoning... no reason to get all pissy about it. Need a tampon?

That kind of comment is totally irrelevant to the topic and is way off base. That kind of commentary needs to stop right here and now.

"He even ate with women who at that time were accorded the same status as the family donkey. Are we willing to break bread with, say, child sex slaves, transgender teens and undocumented workers? Because when Jesus comes back to Earth, that's where he'll be hanging."
You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.

#223 Wing Across The Pond

Wing Across The Pond

Gabriel's Wings

• Silver Booster
  • 744 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:21 PM

Who are the phylers?

The only shot the Wings always had of landing a #1 defenceman was by trading. Nashville has to spend 24 million just to get to the cap floor. They will match the offer and then thank Philly for helping them lock up Weber for life.

This is the most interest point made here you know... because say he had no intention of really resigning in NSH, this guarantees he will. HA! So Philly basically did the negotiating for them, found a contract he'd take, then just crossed out the name and wrote their own "Shea Weber signs with Philadelphia Flyer NAshWillE PredIITors"

Posted Image

#224 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:31 PM

Dreger says that the Predators will issue a statement today. He also says that they knew yesterday morning that an offer sheet was coming but failed to agree to a trade with any team during that period. Poile is a moron.

#225 beachwing

beachwing

Reader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:33 PM

We should all thank our lucky stars we didnt land Weber!

He has 7-8 great years left in him....thats it!!!!

Weber will be a mere shell of himself the last half of this contract. His style of play is ballistic, physical, and absolute torture on the body.

We were truly watching history every shift with Lids. 20 years of grace and athletic dominance at his position.

Lids was a fitness freak BUT his game was cerebral, relying on positioning rather than brut force.

Weber is a buzz saw looking to punish and intimadate people, this style is not condusive for a lengthy elite career and certainly not the next 14 years!

Does anyone in their right mind seriously think he will be a perrenial norris candidate year in and year out FOR THE NEXT 14 YEARS ?!!!

Cant wait for next season!! Youth movement, fresh legs, hunger, desire hard work and all the wagon hopping fans and forum gm's will be gone!

#226 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,531 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:37 PM

This is the most interest point made here you know... because say he had no intention of really resigning in NSH, this guarantees he will. HA! So Philly basically did the negotiating for them, found a contract he'd take, then just crossed out the name and wrote their own "Shea Weber signs with Philadelphia Flyer NAshWillE PredIITors"

u taaKEY Dats BAcccks Wevs d0nnT's WhITes lIkeS DAts 1 bItss hEre iN nAhS....NAShisvILle. hahahaha sorry.

But yea if Nashville has some balls and will spend some money for once they will match it and have their franchise player for the rest of his career. Maybe Weber and his agent told Nashville to buzz off and he would never re-sign with them so this was Nashville move to let someone else do it for them. Either a smart move or a lucky one. hahah Did the philly offer have any kind of no trade clause or any of that and can you do that in an offer like that...didn't see that mentioned. Maybe Nashville knows he will never sign with them. Let a team do it for them...after nashville matches..they trade him to someone for players and picks......
msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

I LIVE IN TEXAS SO I DON'T DESERVE HOCKEY

#227 brett

brett

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,974 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:37 PM

******* a I wish holland woulda tried going after him at least. Disappointed. Needed a s*** load of help on d with lids and Stuart gone and he hasn't signed one top 2 dman. C'mon man step your game up

#228 turbowhistle86

turbowhistle86

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:40 PM

When was the last time the Flyers made a big free agent splash that didn't turn out badly?

All I remember are Forsberg many years ago, then Pronger and then Bryzgalov. Granted, Pronger did help them get to the Finals, but look how he ended up.

They're a good team, but this doesn't put them over the top or anything like that. They still have major goalie issues.

Did Jagr really turn out that badly?

#229 Jedi

Jedi

Spell Forged - Unparalleled Quality

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,806 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:42 PM

******* a I wish holland woulda tried going after him at least. Disappointed. Needed a s*** load of help on d with lids and Stuart gone and he hasn't signed one top 2 dman. C'mon man step your game up

It's been widely reported that Detroit was in the mix on a trade for Weber. Can't exactly say that Holland didn't try going after Weber. Maybe he didn't submit an offer sheet (which isn't Holland/Red Wings' style anyway), but that doesn't mean he sat back and did nothing to try and acquire him...

snyoep.jpg
"I am the sword in the darkness... I am the watcher on the walls...
I am the shield that guards the realms of men..."

#230 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:44 PM

So again what's the real difference? How much is Weber being paid in the last few years?

I think the difference is their age.

The likelihood of Weber playing at 41 is far greater than Kovalchuk still playing at 44.

#231 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,609 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:45 PM

That's a monster deal.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#232 SwedeLundin77

SwedeLundin77

Over the Line!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:50 PM

So what if they have two long term contracts? They don't have a #1 or #2 D-man, they have an amazing #3 D-man, 2 guys who are 3-4 D-men, an over paid #5 d-man and 2 kids, one who has been mediocre, the second who has yet to prove anything as a top 4 D-man in the NHL. In the league today you don't get a #1 d-man without giving them a lengthy contract. If they don't gamble on a player that fills a massive hole on the roster, they should fully expect to be the next Calgary Flames.

Let's just relax a bit.... your panic is way overblown. I am not cool with paying a 35-40 year old (other than Lidstrom) as much money as it would cost to send an offer sheet to Weber, it's simply not worth it. People act like Weber is the only great defensman out there, it's a s***ty mentality.

Nashville would match any offer we put down, and it's not worth 4 first rounders.

#233 Wing Across The Pond

Wing Across The Pond

Gabriel's Wings

• Silver Booster
  • 744 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:51 PM

I think the difference is their age.

The likelihood of Weber playing at 41 is far greater than Kovalchuk still playing at 44.

True. Wonder what his last few years will be salary wise though? Because at the end of the day 41 is better than 44 yeah, but it's still not really a playable age. Only a handful of players do it really and a big bruising body like Weber might not last that long. Lids did, Selanne is as examples, but neither are incredibly physical players, more smart.

Posted Image

#234 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:52 PM

The problem is Holland is getting burned by being too conservative with his moves, and in doing so he's letting the team decline instead of taking a risk and possibly making a wrong move. There's an old saying 'Action is always better than inaction'.

That is an old Hindu saying. You have conveniently left out the rest of the passage, so I'll give it to you in context: "Action is better than inaction. Without action no one can survive," but "Act in such a way that it does not bind but frees one from ignorance." In other words, action is better than inaction, but your actions should be guarded and well-conceived.

Your argument seems to be that Holland making a big splash in the stupidest way imaginable would be preferable to him taking more prudent measures that might not succeed. If so, then the saying you've quoted absolutely disagrees with you.

Edited by Crymson, 19 July 2012 - 12:54 PM.

#235 pucktividi

pucktividi

the usual suspect

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:53 PM

Can someone explain me what's so brilliant in a fact that Holmgren and the Flyers can throw more $$$ in bonuses than Poile and the Preds?

#236 Matt

Matt

D<[[[| x11

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,072 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:55 PM

From the CBA:

In reality, regardless of any of this, is that the Flyers could still reacquire the 1st-rounders from the Predators for the assets they would have otherwise used in a more "standard" deal. The point still stands that the can still work out a trade between the clubs for Weber, a la Chris Gratton in 1997 with Tampa. They've done this dance before.

#237 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:56 PM

Did Jagr really turn out that badly?

In what universe was Jagr a big free-agent splash?

In reality, regardless of any of this, is that the Flyers could still reacquire the 1st-rounders from the Predators for the assets they would have otherwise used in a more "standard" deal. The point still stands that the can still work out a trade between the clubs for Weber, a la Chris Gratton in 1997 with Tampa. They've done this dance before.

They can't. As of now he is not signed to a contract by anybody, so only his rights could be traded; and because he has signed an offer sheet, his rights cannot be traded.

Edited by Crymson, 19 July 2012 - 12:56 PM.

#238 Matt

Matt

D<[[[| x11

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,072 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 01:00 PM

Can someone explain me what's so brilliant in a fact that Holmgren and the Flyers can throw more $$$ in bonuses than Poile and the Preds?

Because forking over $27-million to one player in a calendar year before you could trade him is a huge stumbling block for a small market club that Forbes valued at $168 million in 2011. Almost 1/3 of the value of the franchise will be doled out to one player ($56-million) during the first four years of the contract. It's a big pill to swallow for a small-market franchise. It's sole purpose is to put the screws to Nashville's ability to match the offer. If the money was spread out over the term evenly Nashville would have matched it the second it was submitted to the league office.

#239 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,912 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 01:03 PM

In what universe was Jagr a big free-agent splash?

They can't. As of now he is not signed to a contract by anybody, so only his rights could be traded; and because he has signed an offer sheet, his rights cannot be traded.

This one?

Obviously it wasn't like Suter and Parise, but don't you remember all the giddy speculation last year about who would sign him? There were something like 5 Cup contending teams that were in the mix for him.

To me, a superstar of Jagr's caliber returning from the KHL is a pretty big free agent splash, even at his age.

#240 Matt

Matt

D<[[[| x11

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,072 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 01:04 PM

You didn't understand what I was saying. Once the decision is made on the offersheet -- in this case Nashville choosing not to match -- the Flyers can still trade player assets to re-acquire the the four 1st round picks they lost as part of the offer sheet. See Chris Gratton: http://en.wikipedia....ts#cite_note-19

If the Flyers get Weber they'll have to shed salary, Nashville needs to add it, and the Flyers would probably like to add those No. 1s back. In the end it likely won't end up being as simple as four 1st rounders. Philly could end up re-acquiring up to three of them and send a forward or two back the other way. It's the scenic route to a standard Flyers/Predators trade, the offer sheet just expedited and locked in Philadelphia as the destination.