• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Yzerfan1999

With cap space to clear, do Flyers become a Wings trade partner?

Rate this topic

If the Preds don't match, you've gotta think that the Flyers are going to need to shed some salary and a defenseman. No doubt they would love to get rid of Prongers 7 million dollar contract, but I doubt the Wings would swallow that salary without getting another good roster player to make up for it. Who do you think the Wings would target if they wanted to make a deal? Grossman? Coburn? Meszaros? Timonen?...Pronger?

Right now, if Weber becomes a Flyer, PHI is cap compliant with 23 players on their roster. They will want to re-sign Voracek but they have ~700k under the cap plus Lilja will be bounced. So they'll have $1.5M. That won't be enough for Voracek but to me it doesn't mean they have to move a D. Plus, there are an awful lot of NTC's on that blueline.

Actually this is a distinct posibility. Not very many teams have enough cap space to take a contract that Philly may need to dump. Along with Coburn and Timonen (who would be a nice presence here) there are a few forwards that I wouldnt mind seeing.

How much harder and grittier does Detroit become with a Hartnell? I hate that guy...which means Id love to see him be an ahole to everyone else. Whats the offensive upside of young Matt Read? How about Couturier? This opens up a ton of possibilities!

Right now, if Weber becomes a Flyer, PHI is cap compliant with 23 players on their roster. They will want to re-sign Voracek but they have ~700k under the cap plus Lilja will be bounced. So they'll have $1.5M. That won't be enough for Voracek but to me it doesn't mean they have to move a D. Plus, there are an awful lot of NTC's on that blueline.

Having less than a million is pretty scary......someone gets hurt through the year and they are kinda screwed. I imagine they wont want to be up against the wall. I think they will send someone out to give themselves some breathing space. Timonen does have a NMC as does Coburn BUT its not like the players would accept a trade Columbus. Most guys, knowing their top dog status is dwindling in Philly would waive it to play with the Wings.

Edited by Motown4013

Is Pronger even fit to play? I honestly don't know but last I heard he may be done for his career due to post concussion symptoms.

Still out from post-concussion, from the reports I've read. I think they're using the cap relief from his LTIR status in the Weber signing.

Still out from post-concussion, from the reports I've read. I think they're using the cap relief from his LTIR status in the Weber signing.

That's what I don't get. Pronger has a 35+ contract so it should count against the cap hit if he were to retire, right? But he can stay "active" as a player and the Flyers get LTIR cap relief?

Is that right?

That's what I don't get. Pronger has a 35+ contract so it should count against the cap hit if he were to retire, right? But he can stay "active" as a player and the Flyers get LTIR cap relief?

Is that right?

Yes, he's a 35+ contract, so they're on the hook for the cap hit if he were to retire. I'm not sure what the stipulation on staying on LTIR is, but there's got to be something the NHL can do to ensure that the Flyers don't use the LTIR relief as a way of circumventing the 35+ contract retirement clause.

That said, if any kind of amnesty buyout is agreed upon with the new CBA, I'd expect the Flyers to buy out Pronger for sure.

Actually, if Webers salary is 14 million per, for the first 4...how can Philly be under the cap?

Even if it breaks down as Dreger suggests, the NHL still has to okay the term and the salary. I wonder if this would be denied due to the unprecidented terms involved? Man, the CBA will be looking to this contact big time. Salary max and crazy term. What happens if its declined? Do the Flyers still retain Webers rights or is he a RFA?

Actually, if Webers salary is 14 million per, for the first 4...how can Philly be under the cap?

Even if it breaks down as Dreger suggests, the NHL still has to okay the term and the salary. I wonder if this would be denied due to the unprecidented terms involved? Man, the CBA will be looking to this contact big time. Salary max and crazy term. What happens if its declined? Do the Flyers still retain Webers rights or is he a RFA?

That's a very interesting question. I would imagine that he would go back to being an RFA, with the Predators still holding his rights.

Is that right?

They can still get cap relief from LTIR. They did just that for two years with Laperriere. I assume they'll do it for 5 with Pronger if he can't play again. Loopholes.

That's a very interesting question. I would imagine that he would go back to being an RFA, with the Predators still holding his rights.

Philly then would go to the union and if they are giving their OK, the NHL would be overmatched because of the Suter/Parise deals in terms of leverage.

No, but it does take Philly out of the circus on some other guys. The Flyers have been often mentioned when it comes to Nash and Ryan. No way they can go after those 2 now. Granted neither are D men, but both are available, both want to move, and the pool of teams that can get them/want them just got smaller. There were some rumors that Philly was the fav in the Ryan contest. That is the move we need to be making.

No, but it does take Philly out of the circus on some other guys. The Flyers have been often mentioned when it comes to Nash and Ryan. No way they can go after those 2 now. Granted neither are D men, but both are available, both want to move, and the pool of teams that can get them/want them just got smaller. There were some rumors that Philly was the fav in the Ryan contest. That is the move we need to be making.

I do agree, but seriously that's our number 1 FA target gone. I'd have said Suter would have been high on the list but given the choice Weber would have been top. We were simply going to wait for him. This bones us, regardless of how much better it makes us in the Nash and Ryan sweepstakes. I don't know the Free Agent classes to know of any other #1/#2 Dmen available in the next few years. That means we trade or we find within. Not saying we got worse, just it got a hell of a lot harder for us. Best we can hope for at the moment is that the league investigate the deal. It'd be nice to have Nash or Ryan but we need a top line Dman, not even top 4... TOP LINE

They can still get cap relief from LTIR. They did just that for two years with Laperriere. I assume they'll do it for 5 with Pronger if he can't play again. Loopholes.

It's probably possible, but the Flyers would have to continuing paying him for the next 5 years if he's kept on the active roster.

I fully expect Nashville to match though, so it probably doens't matter.

Interesting tidbit about the use of LTIR from the CBA.

CBA Article 50.10 section D (iii)

The total replacement player salary and bonuses for a player or players that have replaced an unfit-to-play player may not in the aggregate exceed the amount of the player salary and bonuses of the unfit-to-play player who the club is replacing

I may be interpreting this wrong but it seems the Flyers can't use the cap space created by putting Pronger on LTIR to sign a player who makes more money than him.

They may be forced now to count his caphit against their cap making them more likely to move someone.

What 2009 giveaway? You're thinking of "Mr. Game 7" (Brad Stuart)

I want Simmonds or Rinaldo on the team. Would make us tougher to play against.

I think he meant the 2007 giveaway.

Simmonds is really developing into a legitimate power forward. We'd have to give up another top 6 forward for him. I think Philly would be more likely to trade Hartnell, however.