• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

RedWingNation43

Wings Looking For Defenseman

Rate this topic

and a Tigers World Series Championship

Call me crazy but I think the D isn't as bad as people think. Quincey, Smith, Kindl, and Ericsson are all over 6'0, Kronwall has people keeping their heads up, and White and Carlo chip in with skill.

You'd have to think Smith and Kindl are going to get better, Quincey was a very solid pick up, and Ericsson, as people have said in another discussion, played very well the last 2/3 of the season. Then there's Kronwall and White, we know what they're capable of.

Seriously, who could we get that's better than Kronwall, Quincey, Ericsson, White, or Smith without selling the farm? Defensemen, just like starting pitching in Baseball, are way over priced.

I am the one who keeps saying how great Big Rig was the last 2/3 of the season, he definitely did step up last year. I know Smith will be great too, the problem I have with our defense is Kindl. The kid is a liability everytime he touches the puck, hell he's a liability being on the ice in general. If Colo cannot stay healthy, mark my works our D is in trouble! He may be 6'3" 215lbs, but he doesn't use his size to his advantage at all, he doesn't shut down lanes, he doesn't get physical, he just goes out there and skates around for 30-40 seconds and goes back and sits down

Guest The Axe   
Guest The Axe

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Euro_Twins" data-cid="2340847" data-time="1358433113"><p>

<br />

I am the one who keeps saying how great Big Rig was the last 2/3 of the season, he definitely did step up last year. I know Smith will be great too, the problem I have with our defense is Kindl. The kid is a liability everytime he touches the puck, hell he's a liability being on the ice in general. If Colo cannot stay healthy, mark my works our D is in trouble! He may be 6'3" 215lbs, but he doesn't use his size to his advantage at all, he doesn't shut down lanes, he doesn't get physical, he just goes out there and skates around for 30-40 seconds and goes back and sits down</p></blockquote>

Relax on Kindl. He's cheap, young, and has big upside cause he can skate and see the ice well. Its not like the coaches are giving him 25 minutes per night. They are using him as 6/7 in hopes he will acclimate and develop. Makes sense, right?

I am the one who keeps saying how great Big Rig was the last 2/3 of the season, he definitely did step up last year. I know Smith will be great too, the problem I have with our defense is Kindl. The kid is a liability everytime he touches the puck, hell he's a liability being on the ice in general. If Colo cannot stay healthy, mark my works our D is in trouble! He may be 6'3" 215lbs, but he doesn't use his size to his advantage at all, he doesn't shut down lanes, he doesn't get physical, he just goes out there and skates around for 30-40 seconds and goes back and sits down

Yeah dude seriously, if Kindl is your biggest problem with the defense then our defense is stellar. Kindl will hardly play this year and has essentially zero responsibilities. He's not expected to score, he's not expected to shutdown top flight guys, he's not expected to kill penalties, or man the power play.

Why is he your biggest concern?

Now, if you were worried about the fact that we don't have a single defenseman capable of shutting down top forwards I'd agree with you.

Edited by kipwinger

Guest The Axe   
Guest The Axe

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="kipwinger" data-cid="2340877" data-time="1358438868"><p>

<br />

Yeah dude seriously, if Kindl is your biggest problem with the defense then our defense is stellar. Kindl will hardly play this year and has essentially zero responsibilities. He's not expected to score, he's not expected to shutdown top flight guys, he's not expected to kill penalties, or man the power play. <br />

<br />

Why is he your biggest concern?<br />

<br />

Now, if you were worried about the fact that we don't have a single defenseman capable of shutdown down top forwards I'd agree with you.</p></blockquote>

Spot on. We are missing a #1 D, a Sniper, and a Fighter. Pointing the finger at Kindl is like the Tigers pointing the finger at their bat boy.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="kipwinger" data-cid="2340877" data-time="1358438868"><p>

<br />

Yeah dude seriously, if Kindl is your biggest problem with the defense then our defense is stellar. Kindl will hardly play this year and has essentially zero responsibilities. He's not expected to score, he's not expected to shutdown top flight guys, he's not expected to kill penalties, or man the power play. <br />

<br />

Why is he your biggest concern?<br />

<br />

Now, if you were worried about the fact that we don't have a single defenseman capable of shutdown down top forwards I'd agree with you.</p></blockquote>

Spot on. We are missing a #1 D, a Sniper, and a Fighter. Pointing the finger at Kindl is like the Tigers pointing the finger at their bat boy.

While I agree with you in theory - however unlike the batboy - Kindl will most certainly get more than his fair share of ice time...Shortened season with playing dates a bit closer to one another, and with the likes of an injury prone Colaiacovo (crosses fingers he doesn't) I'm fearing our D could be a major concern.

Jimmy Howard will most likely see more rubber than a dead skunk on I-95 during rush hour.

Guest The Axe   
Guest The Axe

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="F.Michael" data-cid="2340903" data-time="1358442035"><p>

While I agree with you in theory - however unlike the batboy - Kindl will most certainly get more than his fair share of ice time...Shortened season with playing dates a bit closer to one another, and with the likes of an injury prone Colaiacovo (crosses fingers he doesn't) I'm fearing our D could be a major concern.<br />

<br />

Jimmy Howard will most likely see more rubber than a dead skunk on I-95 during rush hour.</p></blockquote>

Ha ha ha!

He's going to be sprawling more times than Eva Unit Zero the night Hudler shirts shot out of the spring loader shirt cannons at the Joe.

What about Cory Sarich? He's 34 years old. Blocks shots, clears the crease, and is one of the harder hitters on the blueline.

Please correct me if I'm wrong...If I remember correctly - he's sorta like Commodore...And look what happened to Commodore when he was a Red Wing.

I agree with you, partly. Keep in mind that Commodore's career was already going downhill upon his arrival in Detroit. Additionally, Sarich is a bit quicker than Commodore. Would Sarich have to settle for #7 here? Possibly, so I see what you're getting at.

Given the Red Wings choice of play I'm thinking they'd prefer a Dman who capable of doing more with the puck other than bounce it off the glass...That said I've always had a soft spot for stay @ home Dmen.

As for Cody Franson - I think the Leafs would rather keep him, and move Komisarek - although adding Franson to our roster would be nice.

Franson's a big guy. For some reason I feel like he's been criticized for his lack of adequate use of his size. He looks like he's got some offensive upside. Why would Toronto get rid of him in the first place? And I agree that Komisarek seems like the more likely candidate to go. I'd be on board for Komisarek coming here, and I know you would too.

Franson's a big guy. For some reason I feel like he's been criticized for his lack of adequate use of his size. He looks like he's got some offensive upside. Why would Toronto get rid of him in the first place? And I agree that Komisarek seems like the more likely candidate to go. I'd be on board for Komisarek coming here, and I know you would too.

If Komisarek could play like he had while a Hab - then I'd love to see him on the Red Wings roster.

The only problem is - with Detroits' style - he might try to do more than be a stay @ home Dman - that's when he gets into trouble.

With Nonis making so many moves, it seems like here is somewhat of a possibility of him being moved, especially since he'll likely be bought out at the end of the year if he continues to underperform. Toronto might as well get something for him.

If there was a "taker" for Komisarek - then he'd def be on the trading block...That said - I seriously doubt anyone wants him with his current contract...If he were bought out, and available via UFA - then I wouldn't mind seeing him on our roster at a much MUCH reduced price tag.

True. His contract is quite inflated.

What are your thoughts on Franson? I don't know a whole lot about him.

From what little I've seen he could be a respectable #4 thru #6 Dman for us...Being right handed, can play the pp, is a decent skater, and is "ok" in his end of the ice are all a bonus...This mind you is coming mostly from his days in Nashville; so far in Toronto he's appeared to be doing alright.

Not sure what Helene St.James is thinking though; at Franson's price tag, and ability - why would the Leafs want to move him?

IMHO Nonis should buy out Komisarek, and keep Franson.

I'd take Franson in a heartbeat, but seeing that The Leafs just signed him for 1 year at $1.2 million on Sunday, I can't believe that they would be dealing him.

He's got good size, though he could add a little more muscle. He has a rifle of a shot and is right handed, and has good offensive upside. His defensive end game could use a little work, but he has only played 3 years in the NHL and seems to improve every year. I kind of see him as a mix between Big Rig and Kindl, still a little raw and needing more playing time to mature. Surprising stat was 80 games played 29 points, and only 30 PIM's 2 years ago in Nashville. He's not the big bruiser I'd like on our back line, but he could possibly become a little more defense oriented. Remember, Big E was supposed to be a puck mover, but is working better into a shutdown role every season. Of course, Franson could become Willie Huber, also.

I'd take Franson in a heartbeat, but seeing that The Leafs just signed him for 1 year at $1.2 million on Sunday, I can't believe that they would be dealing him.

He's got good size, though he could add a little more muscle. He has a rifle of a shot and is right handed, and has good offensive upside. His defensive end game could use a little work, but he has only played 3 years in the NHL and seems to improve every year. I kind of see him as a mix between Big Rig and Kindl, still a little raw and needing more playing time to mature. Surprising stat was 80 games played 29 points, and only 30 PIM's 2 years ago in Nashville. He's not the big bruiser I'd like on our back line, but he could possibly become a little more defense oriented. Remember, Big E was supposed to be a puck mover, but is working better into a shutdown role every season. Of course, Franson could become Willie Huber, also.

It really makes no sense for the Leafs to move him...St.James must be wanting attention.

Not interested in Franson. A good 5 or 6th defenseman with decent size, offensive upside, and who's shaky in his defensive zone play? Sounds like every other member of our defensive corps.

For the millionth time Kenny, how about a guy who is essentially Brad Stuart 2.0. Good size, good defense, able to play top pair minutes against top forwards. Only maybe get someone a little meaner this time. Thanks, MGMT.

The logic behind the Leafs potentially moving Franson is that they have a number of defensemen on the roster that if sent down to the minors they fear could be lost to waiver wire acquisitions (i.e Holzer). Since Franson could garner some mild interest and a move could be made quickly (before the start of the season/23 man roster set) it makes sense.

That being said, I don't necessarily think the Leafs make this move but to me, that's the logic behind the thinking of St. James (or whoever actually thought this up).

Not interested in Franson. A good 5 or 6th defenseman with decent size, offensive upside, and who's shaky in his defensive zone play? Sounds like every other member of our defensive corps.

For the millionth time Kenny, how about a guy who is essentially Brad Stuart 2.0. Good size, good defense, able to play top pair minutes against top forwards. Only maybe get someone a little meaner this time. Thanks, MGMT.

I agree - would love to have a "tougher" version of Stewie, but unfortunately I feel we'll not see one of those types donning a Red Wings uniform anytime soon.

The logic behind the Leafs potentially moving Franson is that they have a number of defensemen on the roster that if sent down to the minors they fear could be lost to waiver wire acquisitions (i.e Holzer). Since Franson could garner some mild interest and a move could be made quickly (before the start of the season/23 man roster set) it makes sense.

That being said, I don't necessarily think the Leafs make this move but to me, that's the logic behind the thinking of St. James (or whoever actually thought this up).

Ah - thanks for the clarification...Looks like I owe Helene St.James an apology, or maybe I should just send her a box of chocolates :lol:

I agree - would love to have a "tougher" version of Stewie, but unfortunately I feel we'll not see one of those types donning a Red Wings uniform anytime soon.

Ah - thanks for the clarification...Looks like I owe Helene St.James an apology, or maybe I should just send her a box of chocolates :lol:

Not tougher, per se, because Stuart was really tough, but meaner. Anyway, I don't think it's that far fetched. We've got a ton of puck movers, and they're hoping Ericsson and Quincey can play a shutdown role. If they can't, and it's a problem early, then they'll move on a guy. Defensive defensemen don't typically cost too much to acquire. If it's a problem it will be addressed, probably very much like when it was a problem and they brought Stuart in in the first place.

I think trading for Komisarek or Bouwmeester this season would be a bad move. Both of them are being speculated as potential amnesty buyout candidates this summer depending on how they play this season. If that's the cas, Holland would be able to sign one of them as a UFA and lose nothing from the roster. Plus they would be cheaper. Depending on whether Calgary or Toronto keeps some salary from either of them in a trade, the Red Wings would absorb a potential cap hit of 3.3 to 6.6 million on Bouwmeester and a potential 2.25 to 4.5 million hit for Komisarek. Not worth it in my eyes, and I also don't see Calgary or Toronto absorbing any of the salaries unless the players coming over were worth them keeping some of the cap hit.

I think if Holland does anything this year on D, he'll wait till the deadline. Unless injuries pile up, of course. I can see him picking up a 1st/2nd pair dman that is slated to become a UFA this summer as a rental so as to not take on a future cap hit. This would be for a couple of reasons:

1. He needs cap space because he's going to be busy this summer seeing that he needs to resign or replace upcoming UFA's Filppula, Howard, White, Brunner, Miller and Cleary and RFA's Smith, Kindl, Nyquist, Andersson, Lashoff, and Mursak.

2. A handful of teams are going to have to move some players around to get complaint for the lowered cap, which could put some interesting players on the market this summer.

That's just my opinion though. Who knows what Holland will actually do. I'd really like to see how the D we have performs before making any judgements.

Edited by DSM