• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Barrie

Justin Abdelkader

Rate this topic

This was inspired by the Valtteri Filppula discussion, I don't see Abby's name in a discussion title. So he doesn't feel left out if he visits the board, feel free to talk about his game here.

Let me start:

OMG he's only plays 13:11 minutes a night and has 1 Assist in 13 games!!!! What was Holland thinking drafting him at 42nd overall?! Abby only played College Hockey at Michigan State! Holland doesn't have a clue!

:lol:

I've thought for a few years that he was expendable. He'll likely be guaranteed a spot on the 4th line, even when everyone is healthy, but that's not saying much.

Seems like he used to hit everything when he was first called up years ago. Not so anymore.

Apparently I'm in the minority here. I think Abdelkader is one of the most defensively responsible players on our team.

On that I agree. Abby seems to be stuck in between. is he an offensive player or a grit player? he hasn't made up his mind, so he ends up not really doing either. he has all the skills we need. Good size, great speed-2nd fastest skater on the team according to Micky, but doesn't use it enough. Even the wings seem to be unsure as to what he is. C or LW.

Apparently I'm in the minority here. I think Abdelkader is one of the most defensively responsible players on our team.

And he leads the team in hits, is one of the few forwards with more takeaways than giveaways, is eigth on PK time, etc.

He hasn't been great, but aside from Tootoo no one in the bottom six has been excelling. IMO I wouldn't be suprised if they Wings want him to be like Cleary was the past few years, or like Homer on the PP. Unfortunately, the second line did not play well last game.

Abby has a spot in the bottom six because he hits, can cycle, and is defensively responsible. Right now he isn't anything more than that- with his skill set he could be a complementary player in the top 9 but it hasn't happened.

We need to get rid of guys like him that play sound defense, are fairly aggressive forecheckers, and makes a hit any time he gets a chance. These kind of guys don't win championships. We need more small forwards who are scared to go to the net and are won't hit anyone because it may hurt.

While he's not putting up the numbers we'd like to see, I think he's playing fairly well so far this season. He's not Helm, but he is filling in pretty well in his absence. Him being put out on the first line yesterday, makes me thint I'm not the only one who feels this way.

Guest The Axe

We need to get rid of guys like him that play sound defense, are fairly aggressive forecheckers, and makes a hit any time he gets a chance. These kind of guys don't win championships. We need more small forwards who are scared to go to the net and are won't hit anyone because it may hurt.

While he's not putting up the numbers we'd like to see, I think he's playing fairly well so far this season. He's not Helm, but he is filling in pretty well in his absence. Him being put out on the first line yesterday, makes me thint I'm not the only one who feels this way.

The Wings need to SCORE. And he never does.

That's not his job. He's a 4th line center, his job is to throw hits, forecheck, provide energy, take face-offs, kill penalties and most importantly keep the puck out of our net.

A little more scoring touch would be nice while he's filling in for Helm, and especially when he's taking a spot in the top 6 but its not really fair to judge the kid as anything but a 4th line center.

When Helm is back in the line-up I think you'll see a far more effective Abdelkader.

Guest The Axe

That's not his job. He's a 4th line center, his job is to throw hits, forecheck, provide energy, take face-offs, kill penalties and most importantly keep the puck out of our net.

A little more scoring touch would be nice while he's filling in for Helm, and especially when he's taking a spot in the top 6 but its not really fair to judge the kid as anything but a 4th line center.

When Helm is back in the line-up I think you'll see a far more effective Abdelkader.

He has 1 assist and is a minus 5 in 13 games. He is not throwing hits or dominating on the forecheck or any of that. Im not giving up on him. Im just saying he's making Cleary look good right now.

He's scored more goals, (and points), than your boy Emdog, last year, and his previous year. And he isn't afraid to hit. So far this year, Emdog 1g 1a, Abdog 0g 1a. No big deal here. I'll take Abby any day, there. Besides, if your counting on your bottom 6 to score all the goals, you've got bigger fish to fry. All of this will change when Machine Gun Sammy gets back.

Edit: spellin'

Edited by BigWillieStyle

He has 1 assist and is a minus 5 in 13 games. He is not throwing hits or dominating on the forecheck or any of that. Im not giving up on him. Im just saying he's making Cleary look good right now.

His point totals are irrelevant as far as I'm concerned.

He leads the team in hits, has been our 2nd best faceoff man, has drawn more penalties than he's taken, has more takeaways than giveaways and has only been on the ice for 5 GA at even strength.

One of my favorite stats about him though is that his line starts more shifts than any other line on the team inside the Wings end, and 100% of his shifts have ended in the opposition end.

Once Helmer is back, it'll put Abby back where he belongs as the 4th line center bumping out Emdog. Abby is more effective as a 4th line center, going against other 4th lines. He is one of the few players on this team that knows his role and plays it to a tee. I may be alone but I thought he did a hell of a job on the 1st line. For someone who is meant for the 4th line, to come out and play against the Blues 1st line and not make horrible mistakes, it just stands out to me. He seemed like a bat out of hell on the forecheck and provided hits which our top 6 isn't used to. Normally other teams 1st and 2nd lines can get away without the grinding of hits all game, but Abby brought that dimension while he was on the 1st line, and once again it was against the big bodied st louis.

While Abdelkader may never develop his game much further he is a valuable player on the 4th line. He brings some energy, hustle and hitting. He'll never be more that a 4th liner but that's ok in my book.

I just had to do some grave digging on this. Who woulda thought back in February that in may we would be happy to have Abby back one the first line.

It's nice to have a "New Holmstrom" who annoys the crap out of people and makes room for Dats and Z. All four of our goals last night were a direct result of screens in front of Hiller. 3 of those were Abby in front.

It's nice to have a "New Holmstrom" who annoys the crap out of people and makes room for Dats and Z. All four of our goals last night were a direct result of screens in front of Hiller. 3 of those were Abby in front.

There will probably never be anyone better at screening the goalie and redirecting pucks as Tomas Holmstrom, but Franzen, Abby and Cleary do a pretty decent job of "Holmstroming by committee," if you will. It seems like this season there have been a number of goals that bounced off of some part of Cleary's body just because he happened to be in the right spot.

I just had to do some grave digging on this. Who woulda thought back in February that in may we would be happy to have Abby back one the first line.

I think any player who plays with Datsyuk and Zetterberg is going to play above his weight and score some points. Early in the season, our two big guns weren't playing together.

But yes, Abby has played much better, linemates and all.

Edited by GMRwings1983