Photo
- - - - -

Player punches ref - Where is the respect?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 IILeiBlazeII

IILeiBlazeII

Top-Tier Double Backup

• Pip
  • 130 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:35 PM

Man, this made me so angry... and I hope at least most of you agree with me that this has no place in hockey...

http://nesn.com/2013...time-ban-video/

... what is going on in hockey that is producing so many cheap shot artists? I don't remember stuff like this happening in the late 80's, the 90's or the early 00's. Physicality? Yes. Fighting? Absolutely. Hits and ticky-tack stickwork that would be considered penalties in today's NHL? Those too. But blatant disrespect and carelessness towards the safety of others on the ice... what the heck is going on??? Is there something wrong at the youth level? Is it just a generational thing? I don't know the solution, but I *REALLY* wish it'd stop. :\

Maybe each of my fingers is an undulating shrimp! It's a world of possibilities.

#2 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:45 PM

I don't think the game has changed that much to be honest, I'm pretty young though(1989) so I can't say I lived through the 80's, but when I go back and look I see the same stuff.

For example how many games would Messier get now for this hit?

Or good ole' Dino

There are a ton more, hockey is a very emotional and physical game. And terrible incidents will happen, and I really don't think they are more common, they are probably just more exposed.

#3 IILeiBlazeII

IILeiBlazeII

Top-Tier Double Backup

• Pip
  • 130 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:55 PM

Maybe you're right, Carman... I guess there are the McSorely's and the Simons out there during that period too. When I see this sort of stuff it gets my blood boiling, though. It just seems like its happening more frequently (again, probably because of the saturation of media as you mentioned)... but if one of my teammates would have done that, I would've slugged him, ya know? I guess I just have a low tolerance for the behavior.

Maybe each of my fingers is an undulating shrimp! It's a world of possibilities.

#4 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,274 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:25 PM

I wanted to punch the ref after the Wings/Kings game.

13585921555_24551f5658.jpg

#5 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,623 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:26 PM

I don't think the game has changed that much to be honest, I'm pretty young though(1989) so I can't say I lived through the 80's, but when I go back and look I see the same stuff.

For example how many games would Messier get now for this hit?

Or good ole' Dino

There are a ton more, hockey is a very emotional and physical game. And terrible incidents will happen, and I really don't think they are more common, they are probably just more exposed.

I'm not sure i really understand how those hits compare to a player suckering a ref........maybe that's just me.

msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

I LIVE IN TEXAS SO I DON'T DESERVE HOCKEY

#6 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:40 PM

In Russia Referee Punches you.

#7 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:52 PM

I would have thought that NESN would know the difference between a referee and a linesman.

I would have, in this case, thought wrong.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#8 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,124 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:25 PM

Am I the only one that found it odd that the ref held onto his jersey as he was dragged around the ice?

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

#9 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,124 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:32 PM

In Russia Referee Punches you.

That's awesome.

#10 WINGS & FLOW

WINGS & FLOW

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:48 PM

Its their job.  If you are going to get in the middle of people scraping what do you expect??

#11 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:50 PM

I wanted to punch the ref after the Wings/Kings game.

I was literally coming here to post that lol!

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

Just look at how he hangs his sunglasses from his banana hammock in that last pic.  This guyf****** rules. --kipwinger

#12 brett

brett

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,133 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:34 PM

did he make a bad call?

#13 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,124 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:07 PM

Its their job.  If you are going to get in the middle of people scraping what do you expect??

Did you watch the video?  He wasn't in the middle of anything.  He was holding the player back when said player decided it was a good idea to get an inside upper cut on him.

#14 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:30 PM

I'm not sure i really understand how those hits compare to a player suckering a ref........maybe that's just me.

Yea I guess it's different isn't it?

I guess I was just talking in a general sense on the ice, not just about this specific incident of players hitting refs.

It's a lot more uncommon for a referee to get hit like that though, can't say I recall something like that.

#15 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,512 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:44 PM

Didn't Mike Millbury climb into the stands and beat a fan with his own shoe?

I'm glad that this kid got banned for life, but to romanticize the past and act like some players weren't just a stupid and disrespectful in yesteryear is sort of short sighted. 

Screw this kid, and screw every other idiot who gives the game a bad name, past or present. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#16 MotorCityMadness

MotorCityMadness

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:00 PM

I can't find it for the life of me, but several years ago there was a junior game in canada in which a brawl broke out and during the course of it the ref told a linesman to get in there and break up the fight, but the linesman instead turns and begins to fight the ref. 

If anyone can find it, please do post.

HEY HEY HOCKEYTOWN!

#17 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 08:17 AM

Two words: Roid rage.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#18 GoalieManPat

GoalieManPat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 10:53 AM

Kid had to live up to the Cook last name.

#19 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,816 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:55 AM

While it's not cool to punch a ref/linesman - I can understand how a player may get frustrated while in the "heat of the battle" if he's held back/tied up by the on ice official.

Now with that being said - I for the life of me can't figure out why some refs/linesmen hold certain players back to avert them from dropping the gloves?

If 1 of the 2 potential fighters is injured, or is not accustomed to fighting, and will get a good beat down - then okay - step in to avoid certain injury, but if both guys are willing, and able - then why not let'em go?

Retired NHL linesman Kevin Collins was a prime example of getting in the middle of a scrap when he should've stepped back, and stayed outta it.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#20 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,339 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:43 PM

You should probably watch the video. Clearly, you have not.

Lifetime ban sounds about right. Gutless punks like that don't deserve to play hockey. Looked like he was about to punch the other ref trying to get him off the ice.

While it's not cool to punch a ref/linesman - I can understand how a player may get frustrated while in the "heat of the battle" if he's held back/tied up by the on ice official.

Now with that being said - I for the life of me can't figure out why some refs/linesmen hold certain players back to avert them from dropping the gloves?

If 1 of the 2 potential fighters is injured, or is not accustomed to fighting, and will get a good beat down - then okay - step in to avoid certain injury, but if both guys are willing, and able - then why not let'em go?

Retired NHL linesman Kevin Collins was a prime example of getting in the middle of a scrap when he should've stepped back, and stayed outta it.

Watch the video. The kid was on the bench trying to jump on the ice. It had nothing to do with heat if the battle.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".