• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#1 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:04 PM

Just thinking out loud for a minute here, haven't heard or read anything.

Holland joked for many years that once Nick retired, he was going to do so. His close friend and long time Assistant GM Nill is the choosen succesor. keeping those 2 things in mind and today, it isn't to much of a stretch to beleive Holland may be retiring as GM this year.

The last thing Holland would want to do to his friend is set him up to fail. Moving pieces and not having it work, would fall on Nill's head not Holland's. Other than a couple of UFA's that could leave/should leave, what else will chnage between now and summer time? Nothing. This way Holland can walk away with the team in an ok place. Full set of draft picks, not to many big decisions to be made, cap space to spend money on, and a team still capable of going to the playoffs.

Now the team is in a decent place for the next GM to come in and do things his way.

Again, just my thought. But it would explain things if true.

#2 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:06 PM

I woulnd't be upset... This isn't a knee jerk reaction. I think this organization needs a bit of a shake-up at some point. We also need a shift in outlook in my opinion. 

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#3 Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:12 PM

Does make a lot if sense... Tough to really have any proof behind it but the pieces do seen to fit

#4 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:12 PM

I woulnd't be upset... This isn't a knee jerk reaction. I think this organization needs a bit of a shake-up at some point. We also need a shift in outlook in my opinion. 

One of the things that happen to many organizations over time is, they get very top heavy. Every company that goes into reorganiztion reduces the number in management. Some streamlining could be very much in order. Commitees to make decisions never work. Go look at congress........LOL

#5 Number19

Number19

I like our team

• PipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:13 PM

Suddenly his current plan doesn't seem so retarded. One can hope.

#6 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,827 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:18 PM

He would be a good fit in Calgary after they fire Feaster.  

I wonder, though, how different Nill and Holland are.  They've been working together for a long time.  Seems like it's the same person with similar ideas on what the team should be.   

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#7 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:21 PM

He would be a good fit in Calgary after they fire Feaster.  

I wonder, though, how different Nill and Holland are.  They've been working together for a long time.  Seems like it's the same person with similar ideas on what the team should be.   

Well I would imagine that Holland has the last word. If Nill was always second guessing everything Holland proposed he probably wouldn't be around anymore so I imagine he has his own ideas but hasn't had his chance to run the show. 

#8 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,827 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:23 PM

Well I would imagine that Holland has the last word. If Nill was always second guessing everything Holland proposed he probably wouldn't be around anymore so I imagine he has his own ideas but hasn't had his chance to run the show. 

You mean, there's a chance that Nill loves enforcers and thinks Cleary and Samuelsson are lucky to be playing in the NHL?

:sadlike:

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#9 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:25 PM

You mean, there's a chance that Nill loves enforcers and thinks Cleary and Samuelsson are lucky to be playing in the NHL?

:sadlike:

For the sake of everyone's sanity - I hope so.

#10 dropkickshanahans

dropkickshanahans

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:26 PM

Yeah who knows. Mayhew was Millen's assistant before taking over and the Lions made the playoffs within a few years and he seems to be pretty active, especially this offseason.

#11 Hiei

Hiei

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:26 PM

Make good on your promise and retire Kenny.  

"Hit em with your purse, ya *****!" - Random Wings fans shouting at Franziska

#12 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:27 PM

Could be a changing of the guard.  I wouldn't really be surprised.  Then he could leave saying "I liked my team"

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#13 Number19

Number19

I like our team

• PipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:28 PM

Could be a changing of the guard.  I wouldn't really be surprised.  Then he could leave saying "I liked my team"

:lol:

#14 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:34 PM

I will say this: If Holland decides keep Sammy, Cola/White around for another season I will be calling for his retirement. These panic signings have to be cut out with amnesty buyouts. If they are on next year's starting roster ahead of a few kids I think Holland will have gone mental.

#15 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:38 PM

He's only 57, which isn't very old for a front office guy.

I think this is wishful thinking on the OP's part.

He'll likely finish out this contract (runs through 2015, then get promoted to Develanno's job who will be in his mid 70's then) Nill will take over and the status Quo will continue.

Personally I think Nill is so good with our drafting that I wouldn't want to move him out of that position and I personally don't think there is anything wrong with the job Holland has done. I'd be ok with them staying in their current positions indefinitely.

#16 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:40 PM

Also I see Holland refuse to pay a little extra to buy a player's UFA rights ahead of free agency. This is a great tactic to show a player you want him and get the first crack at signing them. 

I won't complain about Holland's policy against offer sheets for RFAs as I guess that is the reasonable thing to do, but sometimes a GM has got to be a dick to meet team needs. 

#17 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,144 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:06 PM

If Nill wasn't already so a big part of the management team, I might dismiss this thought in 2 seconds instead of instantly. But even if this was happening this off-season, Nill would just have a stronger voice in what was happening now, in which case, well, it is what it is? Or something?

-Elliot...does not panic.

#18 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:11 PM

Jimmy D embarrassed the Wings organization last fall with his farm animals comments, and got fined for it as well. It wouldn't be a big stretch of the imagination to see him retiring, Holland moving up, and Nill as GM. I guess that leaves Lids to come scoop up his Assistant GM position.

#19 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,689 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:15 PM

I hope he retires. This team needs to change.

#20 SiLkK19

SiLkK19

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:20 PM

Jimmy D embarrassed the Wings organization last fall with his farm animals comments, and got fined for it as well. It wouldn't be a big stretch of the imagination to see him retiring, Holland moving up, and Nill as GM. I guess that leaves Lids to come scoop up his Assistant GM position.

What comment was that?