• Please log in to reply
303 replies to this topic

#1 Dirty Dangle

Dirty Dangle

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:58 AM

I am not going to argue whether the hit was clean or not, but with the current atmosphere in the NHL, especially after Gryba's hit on Eller, I think he gets a suspension, no more than 2 games.  We'll find out at 4 pm.

http://www.freep.com...der-NHL-hearing

#2 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:04 AM

NO HIT LEAGUE

"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#3 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,536 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:08 AM

Lydman laying there for ten minutes influenced the call on the ice and I'm sure it will do the same regarding the suspension.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#4 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,154 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:09 AM

I am not going to argue whether the hit was clean or not, but with the current atmosphere in the NHL, especially after Gryba's hit on Eller, I think he gets a suspension, no more than 2 games.  We'll find out at 4 pm.

http://www.freep.com...der-NHL-hearing

Agreed.  I don't like these exploding upwards hits but don't want to get into a frame by frame breakdown. 

I'm guessing 2 games?  He go a 5 minute major in the game and an ejection.  It seems like that factors into suspensions.  He also has no suspension history and they typically weigh missing playoff games more.

#5 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,764 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:15 AM

Agreed.  I don't like these exploding upwards hits but don't want to get into a frame by frame breakdown. 

I'm guessing 2 games?  He go a 5 minute major in the game and an ejection.  It seems like that factors into suspensions.  He also has no suspension history and they typically weigh missing playoff games more.

I think it is going to be one or two games as well.  I am not upset about the call.  Hell, he did it less than 10 feet from the ref who was watching him.  Having to make that call within seconds, I can see why it was made. 

I really don't want to use Gryba's hit as a comparison.

http://sports.yahoo....-010719953.html

There is a lot there and I disagree with the suspension on him. 

Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#6 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:22 AM

Am I the only one who thinks he doesn't get suspended at all? I feel like just being out that game was punishment enough and IMO the fact that it's just a phone hearing and not in person makes it sound less threatening. 

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#7 Dirty Dangle

Dirty Dangle

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:27 AM

I think it is going to be one or two games as well.  I am not upset about the call.  Hell, he did it less than 10 feet from the ref who was watching him.  Having to make that call within seconds, I can see why it was made. 

I really don't want to use Gryba's hit as a comparison.

http://sports.yahoo....-010719953.html

There is a lot there and I disagree with the suspension on him. 

From what I understand, the downlow ref didn't make that call.  It wasn't until the linesmen got invloved was a penalty called.

Edited by Dirty Dangle, 05 May 2013 - 10:28 AM.

#8 MidMichSteve

MidMichSteve

Thanks to #5

• HoF Booster
  • 4,239 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:29 AM

Neither ref called a penalty initially and the ref at that end had a real good look at it. It was only after they conferred with the linesmen that the call was made.

Good article by Mitch Albom: Can't agree with the Refs on this one.

From now on, Patrick Roy will be rolled out to and from the Avs' bench like Hannibal Lecter. - BottleOfSmoke

#9 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,846 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:31 AM

NO HIT LEAGUE

Because big hits are worth permanently injuring someone in a way that has been statistically shown to shorten athletes lives. I love seeing big hits Jolly, but come on, any hits, on purpose or accident to the head should NOT be part of ANY sport. While I would argue that the hit by Abby wasn't dirty insofar as there was 0 intent to go after the head, there was still head contact. Even RUGBY a game that you are ENCOURAGED to clock people, if you hit someone in the HEAD you are punished. 

lydman.gif

Point of contact was Lydman's head, he left his feet to make the hit. This wasn't a clean hit.

Edited by Shaman464, 05 May 2013 - 10:38 AM.

Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#10 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,154 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:37 AM

Am I the only one who thinks he doesn't get suspended at all? I feel like just being out that game was punishment enough and IMO the fact that it's just a phone hearing and not in person makes it sound less threatening. 

It may help him that he did get the 5 minute major and ejection, but I'd still be surprised if he didn't get something. 

Last season Ovechkin got 3 games for a hit where he left his feet and caught the guys head in spite of also getting a lot of his body.  Ovie's skates were off the ice prior to contact and he has a suspension history, but the guy he hit was ok and continued to play.

This will be an interesting one.  It comes down to which way the suspension winds are blowing in the NHL.  As the OP stated, with the current climate a suspension seems likely.

#11 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:41 AM

Either one game suspension or nothing. I really hope it's not 2 games : l

#12 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:42 AM

I've already cut Brendan Shanahan from my 1997 championship poster. This scumbag will forever be a St. Louis Blue in my eyes.

Guy was more inconsistent than Franzen and was inferior to Dallas Drake in the toughness department. He's a dime a dozen.

Edited by irishock, 05 May 2013 - 10:44 AM.

bringit.jpg

#13 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:46 AM

Because big hits are worth permanently injuring someone in a way that has been statistically shown to shorten athletes lives. I love seeing big hits Jolly, but come on, any hits, on purpose or accident to the head should NOT be part of ANY sport. While I would argue that the hit by Abby wasn't dirty insofar as there was 0 intent to go after the head, there was still head contact. Even RUGBY a game that you are ENCOURAGED to clock people, if you hit someone in the HEAD you are punished. 

lydman.gif

Point of contact was Lydman's head, he left his feet to make the hit. This wasn't a clean hit.

Maybe the NHL should have kept going with the idea of making equipment out of the crock material instead of suits of armor so there's less impact from the guys equipment on their heads and we'd see less concussions.  Keith Primeau was working on it a number of years ago, and I for one would like to know why we still have these massive hard plastic shoulder and elbow pads.

It may help him that he did get the 5 minute major and ejection, but I'd still be surprised if he didn't get something. 

Last season Ovechkin got 3 games for a hit where he left his feet and caught the guys head in spite of also getting a lot of his body.  Ovie's skates were off the ice prior to contact and he has a suspension history, but the guy he hit was ok and continued to play.

This will be an interesting one.  It comes down to which way the suspension winds are blowing in the NHL.  As the OP stated, with the current climate a suspension seems likely.

Ovie's a repeat offender with questionable hits.  Abdelkader isn't.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#14 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,846 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:51 AM

This is par for the course for Abdelkader, he is infamous for taking boneheaded penalties that cost the Red Wings games and series.

Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#15 TheWolf

TheWolf

Prospect

• 37 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:53 AM

Multiple issues with this.

1) No call initially on ice. 

2) Are they going to review hits where a guy stays down and then go back and give a penalty?

3) The head wasn't the main point of contact.

4) He didn't leave his skates until the hit.  He didn't jump into him.  Not a fan of the technique, but he certainly wasn't headhunting.

5) I thought the hit last game ON him was worse, where he got checked in the back into the boards.  It reminded me quite a bit of the type of hit that happened to Draper.  Luckily he wasn't any closer to the boards or near the bench, but that was a VERY bad hit as far as what could have happened.  That wasn't a hockey play just a cheap shot.

6) This is going to turn into a reaction league.  A guy just should stay down like soccer players and see if they can draw a penalty.

7) Initially I didn't think it was a penalty.  Since I've seen replays it has looked fine.  I don't know how on earth that is a game misconduct.

8) If you watch the Kings and Blues series, worse is happening every other minute.

#16 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,154 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:55 AM

Maybe the NHL should have kept going with the idea of making equipment out of the crock material instead of suits of armor so there's less impact from the guys equipment on their heads and we'd see less concussions.  Keith Primeau was working on it a number of years ago, and I for one would like to know why we still have these massive hard plastic shoulder and elbow pads.

I absolutely agree.

It's sad that it took them what, over 10 years to finally get rid of the seamless glass that players were complaining about injuries from the very start.

Shanny himself used to use those flimsy shoulder pads. That didn't stop him from hitting guys. You don't want players to get injured but maybe if they hitter feels the impact more he'll be more careful about keeping his elbows tucked and not leaping at a guy.

Ovie's a repeat offender with questionable hits.  Abdelkader isn't.

As I stated in my post.

#17 wingfan1991

wingfan1991

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:02 AM

he'll get 2 games my guess

#18 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,700 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:18 AM

If he does get one, I think i'll be one game even though I think he shouldn't get anything.

#19 kylee

kylee

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,468 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:22 AM

Either one game suspension or nothing. I really hope it's not 2 games : l

That is my prediction as well. Either 1 game or none at all. I Don't think i'd be able to handle HF blowing up if he got nothing, so I do think it'll be a game. At best I think it was a borderline call, hopefully Shanahan takes into account that he has already been given a game misconduct and a 5 minute major.

#20 puckloo39

puckloo39

Champion, MVP and still the best!!!

• HoF Booster
  • 21,504 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:25 AM

Wrap them all in bubble wrap.   I wish Abby had stayed on his feet, but he didn't.  So I can see Shanny having to give him something, if only because it looks like favoritism if he doesn't, as an ex-Wing.

Is Lyman actually injured?  Just asking...  not that it matters, but I think it factors in, right?

puckloo39dom.jpg

“Next time I tell you someone from Texas should not be president of the United States, please pay attention."

Best ever