• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Ram

Brunner Contract Talks

Rate this topic

1,082 posts in this topic

While I'm personally disappointed that Brunner isn't on the team, I'm not mad about it. The part of this that people ignore is what happens next offseason. Tell me if you agree with the following statements, or if they're at least in the ballpark of 50/50:

• The Wings will benefit from a veteran presence and additional Top 6 forward who can score.
  • Alfredsson is a safer bet to be more productive than Brunner in 2013-14.
  • Having $5.5 million in new cap space next offseason is preferable to the $2 to $3 million we would have as the difference between Alfie and Brunner

Yes, we signed Alfredsson "instead" of overpaying Brunner, but Alfredsson's money is completely off the books next year. In the NBA, an "expiring contract" is a valuable commodity. Teams will purposefully trade for old, overpaid players so that they get the cap room. If you think of Alfredsson as a pretty useful "expiring contract" who will help this year, what's not to like?

And the reality about Brunner is that wasn't Brunner vs. Alfie, or Brunner vs. Cleary. It was Brunner vs. Brunner's price tag. If I blast the Wings all season for giving a 3-year deal to Jordin Tootoo that isn't worth his cap hit, I have to be intellectually honest about the fact that I can't say with strong confidence that Brunner will be anything better than a 3rd liner making $3 million a year. He could be a 30-goal scorer and a steal, but there's zero guarantee of that.

Far more often than not, when the Wings let go of or lost a player to FA who has become overpriced, they made the right decision (Lapointe, Fedorov, Leino, Hudler, etc.).

It's a pretty safe bet that Aflie will still be "on the books" during the 2014-15 season given that his $2m bonus cap hit will be defered to that season instead of taking the entire $5.5m hit in 2013-14.

It's a pretty safe bet that Aflie will still be "on the books" during the 2014-15 season given that his $2m bonus cap hit will be defered to that season instead of taking the entire $5.5m hit in 2013-14.

Very true, point taken - I did remember that from the WIIM article as I was writing it, but I wasn't well enough versed in all things CBA to spell it out.

The point still remains that a 3-year, $9 million deal for Brunner does more damage to our ability to sign FA's in upcoming seasons than a 1-year deal for Alfredsson does, even though some of the bonus money is deferred to 2014-15.

Not just with brunner, but all FA's, I think its odd that there has been very little signings by any team since the second day of free agency. I havent even heard any chatter beside that idiot "insiderr"

I suppose Brunner could still end up getting close to what he wants, but I have to think he didn't expect being the guy left out at the end of "musical chairs" when he decided to test the market. In a year where the cap went down significantly and so much money was thrown around on Day One, that's not a position I'd like to be in.

I predict that some people take this seriously and an over zealous MOD warns you about posting fake stories..

FTR: I think it's funny.

Damien Brunner to the New Jersey Devils, 12 years / $77 million.

t4

ElCapitan likes this

I predict that some people take this seriously and an over zealous MOD warns you about posting fake stories..

FTR: I think it's funny.

I thought about that, but not until after I hit 'Post'. I guess we'll see how this goes.

FireCaptain likes this

Brunner to Devils Kovalchuk replacement book it![/quote

Lets hope it's Cleary. Lol

I don't know what t4 means, but if it were a riddle I'd guess t = time = 4 days? So they are going to announce it on monday?`

I'm guessing the t4 is Travis' version of the Eklind rating system that he's busting on.

FWIW I find it humorous as well.

Brunner to Devils Kovalchuk replacement book it![/quote

Lets hope it's Cleary. Lol

Amen brother. Hopefully one of these teams will hurry up and sign him before Kenny pulls off a "free up cap space" trade.

"We like our team"

Lou Lamoriello addressing the media today. Doesn't sound like he's going after Brunner to me.

It would be funny now if the Devils get him.

Yes.

Elias is shaking his head.

He went from accepting 2,5 to want 4? That does not seem right. Anyway, any team that pays Brunner 3,5 after one season is truly desperate.

Buddy, Sammy is paid $3M... so $3.5 for Brunner isn't that bad.

I meant that Brunner is not a suitable replacement for Kovalchuk.

He went from accepting 2,5 to want 4? That does not seem right. Anyway, any team that pays Brunner 3,5 after one season is truly desperate.

Buddy, Sammy is paid $3M... so $3.5 for Brunner isn't that bad.

The 3 years before he signed that deal he had 2 seasons with 50+ points and his full season pace the other year when he was hurt was 52. If it was another player his size with those exact stats and abilities people would have liked that signing.

Didn't Carolina express interest in him a little ago? If they still got it, I see him going to Carolina for sure. They need to clear cap space but apparently they had reached out to a FA, they kinda declined it due to term and money? And now they are saying that that free agent wants to come to Carolina now and had reached out to them but in order to sign them they need to clear cap space. Makes sense if its Brunner. They expressed interest early, he could've declined when asking for a long term high price tag then when he realized the market was small for himself reput himself out there for them. Of course Carolina would make a big deal over a signing like this also.

What makes it more likely is that everyone had thought it would be Jagr they were speaking on behalf of. Jagr's agent apparently confirmed that he isn't going to CAR.