• Please log in to reply
317 replies to this topic

#1 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,920 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 11:17 PM

Now I know that its only been 7 games and Weiss will need some time to adjust but he has been a completely different player then I expected him to be. He loses the puck too easily he has been slow and looks terrified of the boards at times. He reminds me more of Lang than Filppula.

I didn't get a chance to watch him with the Panthers so I guess my question is, is this the type of player he is or should I expect him to be better going forward?

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#2 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 11:27 PM

He'll be better.  Babcock just needs to get the right combo with him.  He's had flashes, but he just needs to settle in more and be better consistently.  On the bright side, with his mediocre 2 points, he's working his ass off and he shoots.  Just needs to get some bounces and some momentum in his favour.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#3 TheDetroitRedWings

TheDetroitRedWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 11:37 PM

I'm not worried at all. I worked down in Florida for almost a year and caught a ton of Panthers games (unfortunately lol) and Weiss is def the real deal. The Wings play a completely diff system, so it will for sure take a lot more than 7 games to adjust. And in the meantime he's had some beautiful passes and already put the puck in the net a few times (with one being an OT game-winner). He'll get better and better each game he plays in this system.

12041887825_d4b1d5c02f_o.jpg

#4 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,052 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 11:38 PM

Tonight was not a good night for him, but I think much of the rest of this season has been better than what most on this forum will tell you (in fact, up until maybe two games ago, I thought he consistently played better than Alfredson).  He has a good skill set and he is versatile.  He just needs to get a little more comfortable in the Winged Wheel and develop some chemistry with a couple of guys.

#5 fat guy in a maltby jersey

fat guy in a maltby jersey

3rd Line Checker

• Restricted
  • PipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 11:50 PM

how much longer do we have to pretend that this guy doesn't suck?

#6 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,920 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 12:05 AM

I'm not worried at all. I worked down in Florida for almost a year and caught a ton of Panthers games (unfortunately lol) and Weiss is def the real deal. The Wings play a completely diff system, so it will for sure take a lot more than 7 games to adjust. And in the meantime he's had some beautiful passes and already put the puck in the net a few times (with one being an OT game-winner). He'll get better and better each game he plays in this system.

I felt his best game was the second Boston game and was hoping he would build of it, but he just seems slow for the wings system.

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#7 matthewdanna

matthewdanna

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 12:18 AM

He's going to be fine... he's responsible in the defensive 3rd and just needs some time to click in the offensive third.  You can see that he is not on the same page with his wingers on offense, but his linemates have been changing as well.

Winning is all that matters.

#8 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,920 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 12:38 AM

He's going to be fine... he's responsible in the defensive 3rd and just needs some time to click in the offensive third.  You can see that he is not on the same page with his wingers on offense, but his linemates have been changing as well.

Winning is all that matters.

Winning is great but it will dry up fast if your second line can't produce any points.

Edited by wings87, 18 October 2013 - 12:39 AM.

#9 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,465 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 05:15 AM

Well I would say long enough for him to prove it. Shouldn't be long now. Why are you always so negative and condescending?

#10 brett

brett

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,018 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 05:56 AM

all i can say is i hope its just him adjusting to things. much more puck control here than florida. hes use to just run and gun hockey. that doesnt happen here. right now i am not happy with him. i thought alfie would be bust and this guy was going to rack up points. step it up buddy

#11 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,095 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 06:22 AM

I think anyone who plays for the Panthers for over a decade would need more than eight games to really get going on this team. And don't forget: he missed most of last season.

Weiss is a very good player. I'm not worried.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#12 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,357 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 06:48 AM

Well I would say long enough for him to prove it. Shouldn't be long now. Why are you always so negative and condescending?

I didn't know Grumpy Cat was a Red Wings fan!

Well what do you expect right now he played for the Panthers!  I have faith in him,  He just needs more time.

Edited by Hockeymom1960, 18 October 2013 - 06:47 AM.

#13 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,347 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 07:01 AM

I don't see the problem to be honest. He's made some great plays, for example the other night blocking 2 shots right in front of the goal and saving a goal. Overall he's been good and I expect him to get better and better, would really help if he develops some chemistry with someone.

We're winning games and Franzen and Abby looks like they've found eachother, if Weiss gets involved too that 2nd line could be very good.

#14 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,671 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 07:38 AM

As long as you frequent LGW's.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#15 pucktividi

pucktividi

the usual suspect

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 07:51 AM

Mixed feeling so far.I like the fact he's not shy to crash the net or shoot,but I've also seen him way too many times loosing his man in his own zone.

He can play much better,let's judge him after 20-30 games though.He's playing for the new team after long term injury.

#16 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,671 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 07:53 AM

Mixed feeling so far.I like the fact he's not shy to crash the net or shoot,but I've also seen him way too many times loosing his man in his own zone.

He can play much better,let's judge him after 20-30 games though.He's playing for the new team after long term injury.

Agreed.

We're only several games into the season...Give him until Christmas to see what he can do before we roast him.

#17 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,561 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 07:55 AM

You guys are being too harsh. He's been key to several really good plays. The points will follow.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#18 wingedominance13

wingedominance13

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 07:56 AM

I actually completely disagree with him looking terrified along the boards, the one thing he excels at in my opinion compared to fil is his ability along the boards. 

#19 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,671 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 08:18 AM

I actually completely disagree with him looking terrified along the boards, the one thing he excels at in my opinion compared to fil is his ability along the boards. 

Agreed.

Unlike Fil - Weiss looks comfortable along the boards, and going to the net...The best part is that Weiss also seems capable of shooting the puck...It's only several games in - the points will come when he, and his revolving door linemates settle down.

#20 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,465 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 08:20 AM

I think anyone who plays for the Panthers for over a decade would need more than eight games to really get going on this team. And don't forget: he missed most of last season.

Weiss is a very good player. I'm not worried.

But it's been 8 games, time to trade him! Remember when we traded z because of that 12 game goal scoring drought he started with 2 years ago, cause he was past his prime... Oh wait, we gave him time and he proved he was still elite, I guess that's what happens.