• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#1 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,874 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:19 PM

Philly gets blown out by the Caps, an all out brawl ensues. 

Emery skates the length of the ice to fight Holtby, who wants no part of him.  The ref stands and watches as Emery throws haymakers at the back of Holtby's head.  Unbelievable. 

Emery is a nutjob and a disgrace.  After the game he admitted that Holtby didn't want to fight him.  Emery said he told him to protect himself, and that Holtby didn't have a choice.

Downie left the game on a stretcher with a concussion from the fight.  Lecavalier left the game with a facial injury from his fight.

Just when you thought Philly couldn't be more of a joke right now.

#2 dragonballgtz

dragonballgtz

Yu-Gi-HOE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:23 PM

Why in the hell did no Washington player help out Holtby, the hell what the ref wanted.

#3 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,867 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:33 PM

What a joke.  Flyers get embarrassed on the ice, try to goon it up, and now they're down two players.

#4 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,874 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:35 PM

To make it even more pathetic, the Flyers press named Emery the 3rd star of the game. 

He had a .733 Save %, so they sure weren't giving it to him for his goaltending.

#5 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 12:07 AM

What a joke.  Flyers get embarrassed on the ice, try to goon it up, and now they're down two players.

So sick of these type of fights, the Flyers not only embarrassed themselves with their play put twice so with their classlessness. These fights along with fights after clean hits have no place in the game. There has to be a legitimate reason for a fight, other wise it makes you look like a bunch of pu**ies. And what's with the refs not stepping in during Emrey's fight he just kept teeing off on the back to Holtby's head, that could have been really dangerous. I guess it was the NHL'S version of bum fights.

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#6 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,963 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 12:08 AM

Absolute joke. It's one thing when the goalies have a mutual agreement to have a go, but straight up goonery to skate the length of the flipping ice to pound a guy who wants no part of it.

Stay classy, Philly.

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

#7 Ally

Ally

just figured out how to change my title

• PipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 12:14 AM

Gross

"Everything he does is exciting to watch.” -Holmstrom describes Datsyuk

#8 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,008 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 12:21 AM

Like I said in the GDT...

I have a real problem with what Emery did (guy who knows how to fight wailing on a guy who doesn't know how to fight and doesn't want to fight). Also, Holmgren looked like he was crying in the presser. I wonder if his seat is getting just a wee bit warmer. Certainly the fans here in Eastern PA are thoroughly disgusted with the way things are going.

I say we should trade for Giroux.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#9 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,874 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 12:23 AM

I watched Emery's post game presser on the Flyers site to make sure I heard him correctly.  When asked about Holtby he says:

"He didn't want to fight and I said basically 'protect yourself' or whatever, ya know.  He didn't really have much of a choice."

http://flyers.nhl.com

To make it even more interesting, apparently Holmgren went down to talk to the team between periods.  Not too far into the 3rd period, all hell breaks loose.

#10 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 12:29 AM

I watched Emery's post game presser on the Flyers site to make sure I heard him correctly.  When asked about Holtby he says:
"He didn't want to fight and I said basically 'protect yourself' or whatever, ya know.  He didn't really have much of a choice."

http://flyers.nhl.com

To make it even more interesting, apparently Holmgren went down to talk to the team between periods.  Not too far into the 3rd period, all hell breaks loose.

Hey Shanny how about a suspension for Emery, what a tool.

Edited by wings87, 02 November 2013 - 12:30 AM.

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#11 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,008 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 12:33 AM

Wasn't Miller an unwillling participant in his "fight" with Bernier?

I hope this doesn't become a thing.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#12 Wings_Dynasty

Wings_Dynasty

The Greatest Ever

• HoF Booster
  • 3,791 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 12:36 AM

They can't ban Emery for fighting. The Don Cherrys in the media who are fanatically pro-fighting would lose their minds. FYI, I want to keep fighting in the game, but this was a couple steps below assault (in a legal sense). 

Karma got the Flyers though. That punk Downie ate a great punch and hopefully Cashgrabvalier is out too. 

"I think a tough team, a team that sticks together, is a lot better than leaving the onus on one guy to take care of business." - Brendan Shanahan

It still would be nice to have that one guy.

#13 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 12:36 AM

Wow.  Man that'd be awesome. 

#14 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,008 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 12:40 AM

Good time to give that whole punish-the-coaches-and-managers idea thing a whirl?

You're damn right it would!

Don't Toews me, bro!

#15 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 12:42 AM

I wouldn't hold my breath.

Edited by wings87, 02 November 2013 - 12:43 AM.

#16 dropkickshanahans

dropkickshanahans

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,575 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 12:45 AM

Get 'er done, Kenny, before Holmgren gets fired!

#17 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 02:01 AM

Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo stupid.  Wanna know the best way to get fighting out of the game?  Make sure every fight is pointless (Orr vs. Parros) or barbaric (Emery vs. Holtby).  Not a single fight in this very short NHL season has been necessary. 

As a matter of fact, wanna know what fight would have been necessary?  The one where some Washington goon went out to protect his goalie who was getting pummeled by Ray Emery and didn't want to fight.  What's that?  Such a fight never happened?  I rest my case.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#18 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 02:19 AM

I'm all for fighting and everything was fine at first IMO. But once holtby was down it shoukdve been done. Emery continued to hit the back of his head and the ref didn't help. Imo the ref and emery should get suspensions.

Also in the next game I fully expect emery to be ready to handle a little bit better of a fighter next time. He def. Went to far and should be dealt with accordingly.

#19 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 02:37 AM

I'm all for fighting and everything was fine at first IMO. But once holtby was down it shoukdve been done. Emery continued to hit the back of his head and the ref didn't help. Imo the ref and emery should get suspensions.

Also in the next game I fully expect emery to be ready to handle a little bit better of a fighter next time. He def. Went to far and should be dealt with accordingly.

So your only is problem is that Holtby got beat up TOO BAD?  You don't think it's a little silly that he had to fight at all, considering he didn't start anything, nothing illegal happened, and he didn't want to do it in the first place?

Why should Holtby get punched, even one time, because Philadelphia can't play defense?  They should let Emery punch the Philly defense, and if that doesn't work then punch Berube...and then Holmgren. 

This is stupid.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#20 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,513 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 02:48 AM

I could see if 1, or 2 Flyers wanting to mix it up (of course getting consent with a few Caps to see if there's any willing combatants), but a full line brawl was a bit over the top - especially with Emery going after Holtby (just when he got his image/career in the NHL back in order with the Blackhawks - he craps the bed with the Flyers).

'Evolution' created by Offsides