• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
haroldsnepsts

Philly Capitals line brawl

Rate this topic

I like Holtby. He seems like a good kid. He fights like a girl, but he seems like a good kid. Someone get him some boxing lessons.

Obviously the official should have broken it up once it was clear that Holtby didn't want to go, but at the same time, I'm disappointed in him for not answering the bell. Better to stand and lose; at least you have your pride.

I don't get why Emery had to fight there. It wasn't like the others had all paired off and were fighting, in which case, he wouldn't have had a partner. It's good for goalies to fight each other (as opposed to goalie vs skater) since their padding is the same, but only if both want to go. If Holtby declines, call him a kitty and move on to another partner.

I have no problem with fighting, line brawls or brawls of any kind. Just so long as all combatants are willing or haven't done anything on a Lemieux scale to deserve a beating.

The only thing you can say in defence of Emery was that he held back. Those punches he threw were pretty weak so he obviously knew what he was doing was wrong. Following orders?

Apart from the ridiculous goalie fight that was a pretty good brawl. At least Holtby was all smiles afterwards. To call for suspensions out of this is a bit over the top.

I have no problem with fighting, line brawls or brawls of any kind. Just so long as all combatants are willing or haven't done anything on a Lemieux scale to deserve a beating.

The only thing you can say in defence of Emery was that he held back. Those punches he threw were pretty weak so he obviously knew what he was doing was wrong. Following orders?

Apart from the ridiculous goalie fight that was a pretty good brawl. At least Holtby was all smiles afterwards. To call for suspensions out of this is a bit over the top.

I'm not sure exactly how you're able to gauge the force of the punches from a youtube video, but when a guy is punching an unwilling participant in the back of the head and still trying to hit him when it's being broken up, it's not holding back.

I think a suspension for Emery is unlikely but absolutely deserved.

This isn't Vernon or Osgood fighting Roy. That happened at center ice and the first one was Roy coming out to stick up for a teammate. Emery skates the length of the rink to beat the snot out of someone who didn't want to go. Emery is a goalie but he's tough enough that it's not that different from an enforcer dropping gloves with a non-fighter and pounding him.

All the other fights were pathetic by the Flyers too, but not that big of a deal ultimately. The team is just a mess.

Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo stupid. Wanna know the best way to get fighting out of the game? Make sure every fight is pointless (Orr vs. Parros) or barbaric (Emery vs. Holtby). Not a single fight in this very short NHL season has been necessary.

As a matter of fact, wanna know what fight would have been necessary? The one where some Washington goon went out to protect his goalie who was getting pummeled by Ray Emery and didn't want to fight. What's that? Such a fight never happened? I rest my case.

I don't know if I'd say every fight has been pointless but mostly agree.

And it didn't help that the ref was actively keeping Washington players from stepping in. They should've ignored him, but still.

I like Holtby. He seems like a good kid. He fights like a girl, but he seems like a good kid. Someone get him some boxing lessons.

Obviously the official should have broken it up once it was clear that Holtby didn't want to go, but at the same time, I'm disappointed in him for not answering the bell. Better to stand and lose; at least you have your pride.

I don't get why Emery had to fight there. It wasn't like the others had all paired off and were fighting, in which case, he wouldn't have had a partner. It's good for goalies to fight each other (as opposed to goalie vs skater) since their padding is the same, but only if both want to go. If Holtby declines, call him a kitty and move on to another partner.

If it were any other goalie in the league, I'd agree. But Emery is a beast. Remember him pounding Biron, then going with Peters immediately afterwards and not only holding his own but is laughing the whole time?

Emery is too good of a fighter to be going after a goalie who clearly doesn't want to go.

If the Flyers fire sale is coming soon, I hope Kenny offers something for Wayne Simmonds, would be a great fit here.

As far as Emery... There's no need for that, Holtby is a 3rd year guy, absolutely not a fighter, and you go and pound the head off him because you couldn't stop a beach ball? Not right. There's guys on Washington who I'm sure would've answered the bell with Emery, it's a weird situation, but Emery is no normal goalie. He's a tough SOB, and he's nuts. The Caps who were on the ice should be embarrassed with themselves with no jumping to his defense, no he wasn't hurt, but he could've been. Also, anyone surprised by any of this is crazy. With Holmgren as the GM and Craig frickin Berube as the coach, makes sense.

Wow. What the hell is the Ref doing during the goalie-"fight" ? I do boxing and if my opponent or me don't even try to defend ourselfs properly the fight is broken up. Why ? Because its damn dangerous. I don't like fighting in hockey but I accept it as part of the sport. But this is way, way over the top. The NHL need to get rid of such assholes like Emry who apparently aren't able to control themselves or , much worse, don't care about the health of other players at all. And it's not just dangerous, it's an embarrassed for the League. Try to convince friends that Hockey is a great sport when s*** like this happens.

They can't ban Emery for fighting. The Don Cherrys in the media who are fanatically pro-fighting would lose their minds. FYI, I want to keep fighting in the game, but this was a couple steps below assault (in a legal sense).

Karma got the Flyers though. That punk Downie ate a great punch and hopefully Cashgrabvalier is out too.

I want to see what Grapes has to say tonight about this tonight.

I have a feeling he is gonna try to say Emery didn't have a choice ("I know how hard it is") as the GM came down. And then turn around and state it was stupid to do.

I want to see what Grapes has to say tonight about this tonight.

I have a feeling he is gonna try to say Emery didn't have a choice ("I know how hard it is") as the GM came down. And then turn around and state it was stupid to do.

He'll predictably downplay how pointless it all was, try to deflect some of the responsibility away from the players and onto the management or the "code", and ultimately use it to make some semi-intelligible point to "the kids" about honor. Also predictably, it's going to make me want to puke when I see it.

@Real_ESPNLeBrun: After looking at it and discussing it internally for last 24 hrs, NHL has decided not to suspend Ray Emery. Simply put ... (con't)

@Real_ESPNLeBrun: ... current rulebook as it stands doesn't back any suspension for this. Obviously league doesn't like what it saw last night but ...

@Real_ESPNLeBrun: ... there's just nothing in rulebook for supplemental discipline for that fight

The Flyers are a joke of an organization. When they got rid of Carter and Richards to the far corners of hockey hell (LA and Columbus) it showed what a classless organization they were (and look who had the last laugh 9 months later). Holmgren, Clarke, Berube, Snyder are azz clowns, plain and simple. Their roster has more changes in a season then costumes worn by Lady Gaga on tour...good luck winning there butt tools...

I liked Ray Emery but what he did was gutless (cue Don Cherry), and I would be surprised if Grapes doesn't call it that. Emery is a boxer, Holtby is a girl...you don't beat women...

I love fighting, big time, but the Flyers are a joke, and I never wish anyone being hurt in a game (because that's not cool), but the Flyers deserved to have Downie and Vinnie hurt for this. If Emery breaks his hip (again) it's only Karma from here on out.

The NHL and their super Rulebook. Buffalo got fined for player selection which is also not in the rule-book.

They are just a bunch of wannabes thugs so hopefully some of the real tough teams are going to go bananas against the Flyers. Maybe Orr or Mcgrattan could run emery fair is fair.

Those thugs are exactly the reason why enforcers are needed otherwise they coupled with agitators are going out of control and the league will just watch.

Edited by frankgrimes

Even Flyers fans are getting embarrassed by this..

I find it hard to believe the biggest ******* fanbase in pro sports gets embarrassed. The biggest **** move was done by Schenn. Not only does he fight with his visor still on but just before the fight he flicks off Urbom helmet and then starts wailing on him before Urbom gets a chance to do the same.

@Real_ESPNLeBrun: After looking at it and discussing it internally for last 24 hrs, NHL has decided not to suspend Ray Emery. Simply put ... (con't)

@Real_ESPNLeBrun: ... current rulebook as it stands doesn't back any suspension for this. Obviously league doesn't like what it saw last night but ...

@Real_ESPNLeBrun: ... there's just nothing in rulebook for supplemental discipline for that fight

What a joke. The Kovulchuck contract was also within the rules, yet Bettman decided to rip the Devils a new ******* but ignore the Zetterberg, Hossa, Luongo, Pronger etc contracts.

Still, pretty clever of the Flyers to start it all with 7 minutes left, AFAIK the "suspensions for starting fights in blowouts unless your name is Evgeni Malkin" rule only applies to the last 5 minutes.

I like fights in hockey, but that goes with the assumption that the participants are willing combatants. What transpired in the Philadelphia-Washington game, specifically with Emery charging down the ice and mugging Holtby, isn't something that belongs in the game. Hockey's a violent game for tough guys, but nothing is less manly than throwing a temper tantrum on the ice because you stink. Emery should absolutely have been suspended for that assault.