Wings muscle?

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 seenitall

seenitall

Draftee

• 4 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 03:52 PM

Datsyuk gets hammered in the face,no one steps up,Abe gets nailed in the head,no one steps up,all the teams see this an see they can take out any player on the Wings with no retaliation,don't think Mac or Joey would allow that

#2 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,203 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 03:56 PM

What's aggravating is we have Tootoo sitting by doing nothing for us and he'd fit into this role perfectly.

13585921555_24551f5658.jpg

#3 puckloo39

puckloo39

Champion, MVP and still the best!!!

• HoF Booster
  • 21,447 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 04:03 PM

I have more muscle than some of these guys.  Boy, do I ever miss Mac.  I have said for years that all I want is a player out there - like Mac - who makes the other team look over their shoulders as they leave the ice.  They didn't pull crap on the goalies and other players on the Wings roster when there was some sort of pay back coming.  Shanny, Lilja, even Fischer would use their size and strength to lay down the law.  

Toots isn't Mac, but at least he was willing to try to defend his team mates. 

puckloo39dom.jpg

"There is no passion to be found in playing small -- in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living."

Nelson Mandela - RIP  1918-2013

Better than Ever

#4 MCleveland89

MCleveland89

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 04:06 PM

What's aggravating is we have Tootoo sitting by doing nothing for us and he'd fit into this role perfectly.

Nah man, we're way too busy letting Cleary collect a paycheck to do nothing.

#5 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,009 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 04:15 PM

Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Westgarth.

They didn't pull crap on the goalies and other players on the Wings roster when there was some sort of pay back coming.

Of course they did. It's just that payback would ultimately come, which made us all feel better about ourselves.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#6 Red Crazy

Red Crazy

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 04:25 PM

I couldn't agree more. Even Z's injury could be part of the beating he takes each night he is on the ice. This team needs some muscle and some heart. I have seen more push back from Tatar then almost any Wing this year. and that is sad. Its really easy to blame injury but there is a lot wrong with this team. Babcock is an amazing coach but even Scotty Bowman didn't coach teams forever.....is the message getting old? A big gritty D-man would be a good start.

#7 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 05:37 PM

I agree but it doesn't need to be a goon. Guys like lapointe and shanahan were the best. Guys who can do a little everything and but also have the toughness to hit and fight when needed. We've seen glimpses from like Smith and Ericsson but not enough.

Guys who use their body, can share, score, hit and sometimes fights are what we need. Unfortunately they're hard to find especially since wed rather keep our undersized pass first players over guys that we NEED.

#8 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,662 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 05:48 PM

I wonder what Peter Worrell is up to these days?

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#9 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 05:54 PM

I wonder what Peter Worrell is up to these days?

onahalloweenparty2006_12.jpg

esteef

"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#10 Hairy Lime

Hairy Lime

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 07:03 PM

To be fair, Abdelkader had a chance to do something himself when Engelland hit him high earlier in the game, but did nothing as per usual. But you have a better chance of winning the Mega Millions than you do of seeing Holland sign/trade for an enforcer. Remember, we make teams pay on the powerplay (assuming a penalty is even called), like we did with that 5 minute major... 

#11 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,513 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 09:57 PM

To be fair, Abdelkader had a chance to do something himself when Engelland hit him high earlier in the game, but did nothing as per usual. But you have a better chance of winning the Mega Millions than you do of seeing Holland sign/trade for an enforcer. Remember, we make teams pay on the powerplay (assuming a penalty is even called), like we did with that 5 minute major... 

I didn't see the game, but did see the replay...From what I could tell - Abby was in no position  since he was far too 'wobbly' from the hit to the jaw...Now even if Abby were not injured - he'd likely would've been if he were to engage Engelland  (Abby isn't very good at it, and Engelland is a known/experienced tuff guy).

I agree that this team lacks that physical edge...Only problem is - Holland, & Co aren't drafting these guys, and the handful that are available (read current Maple Leaf Clarkson) are waaaay overpaid because there's not many around (unlike what we saw 10 plus years ago).

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#12 barabbas16

barabbas16

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 10:17 PM

What's aggravating is that they can't score any goals.

They might want to figure out how to score goals before doing anything else.  It's probably going to take a while, though, as they are completely clueless at the moment when it comes to that particular subject.

#13 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 11:49 PM

Instead we spend our money on Cleary who brings NOTHING and cy to shanny about people picking on us. crying like a bunch if little BITCHS! They missed the call........ he should be suspended........ we need to remove fighting from the game........... PP is our enforcer...... Even if every goon is removed from the game and every play worthy of a suspension is caught, who is worse off? a 4th line checker that is suspended or a star C like Datsyuk? Most teams and coaches would make that trade in a heart beat and not think twice about it.

#14 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:46 AM

Muscle? Nah, why employ someone who will keep other teams honest? Instead, let the league take care of incidents like the Cowen hit on Datsyuk.

...Wait.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#15 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,746 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 02:37 AM

Muscle? Nah, why employ someone who will keep other teams honest? Instead, let the league take care of incidents like the Cowen hit on Datsyuk.

...Wait.

Personally my ideal fourth line would contain Westgarth, Peluso and Orr (that's less than 4 million for a whole line!) - that's not a lot of cap spent (= more money for the other 3 lines) and boy oh boy this line could easily go toe to toe with the toughest ones in the NHL. Sure Neil would fight Orr or Westgarth, kassasian too but then ...well fair game against Spezza, Karlsson and Cowen I bet a lot of money, the guy would bring his cleanest game and not even looking at Pasha.

Enough with this soft eurostyled hockey, if I wanted to watch that I'd be watching some local games which are boring as hell.

tl;dr yup more muscle and a change of attitude is really needed

Edited by frankgrimes, 16 December 2013 - 02:42 AM.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#16 number9

number9

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,207 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 02:44 AM

Personally my ideal fourth line would contain Westgarth, Peluso and Orr (that's less than 4 million for a whole line!) - that's not a lot of cap spent (= more money for the other 3 lines) and boy oh boy this line could easily go toe to toe with the toughest ones in the NHL. Sure Neil would fight Orr or Westgarth, kassasian too but then ...well fair game against Spezza, Karlsson and Cowen I bet a lot of money, the guy would bring his cleanest game and not even looking at Pasha.

I whole-heartedly agree. We have all the talent, and nothing to back it up. WE ARE PUSHOVERS

I whole-heartedly agree. We have all the talent, and nothing to back it up. WE ARE PUSHOVERS

29 other teams acknowledge that muscle/grit/intimidation are at least part of the game... except for us

#17 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 03:08 AM

Enough with this soft eurostyled hockey, if I wanted to watch that I'd be watching some local games which are boring as hell.

While it would be a breath of fresh air compared to Samuelsson-Emmerton-Cleary, a 4th line of Westgarth-Peluso-Orr would be too one-dimensional.

My idea of an ideal 4th line is something along the lines of Paille-Sobotka-McGrattan. Sobotka and Paille have the speed, in addition to playing a physical style. McGrattan, specifically, will keep the flies off.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#18 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,746 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 03:26 AM

While it would be a breath of fresh air compared to Samuelsson-Emmerton-Cleary, a 4th line of Westgarth-Peluso-Orr would be too one-dimensional.

My idea of an ideal 4th line is something along the lines of Paille-Sobotka-McGrattan. Sobotka and Paille have the speed, in addition to playing a physical style. McGrattan, specifically, will keep the flies off.

I think Westgarth and especially Peluso are decent 4 liners, Orr's skating has improved temendously would they score a lot of goals? Doubtful, but that's not something I'd be expecting from my fourth line Peluso is a very good skater given his size, the kid can skate and hits everything that moves + can back it up against everyone.

McGrattan would be awesome but with their new GM there is no way, this guy will become available, sadly indeed.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#19 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,926 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 05:11 AM

Before the season began Holland addressed this issue with a wait and see approach. I dont think he liked the answers he got. Sadly they will not bring in immediate help in the shape of an enforcer, but if I remember correctly Holland worded it as that it will be a gradual change over several seasons. I feel bad for the abuse players like Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Tatar and Nyquist must endure because of this philosophy. And while it is true that an enforcer would not prevent all cheap shots, slashes etc against our skilled players, it will still do more than Shanahan or the PP will.
"Joey (Kocur) has no fear" -Lyndon Byers
"Empty-net goals are for homos" -Al Iafrate

#20 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,513 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 07:22 AM

Before the season began Holland addressed this issue with a wait and see approach. I dont think he liked the answers he got. Sadly they will not bring in immediate help in the shape of an enforcer, but if I remember correctly Holland worded it as that it will be a gradual change over several seasons. I feel bad for the abuse players like Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Tatar and Nyquist must endure because of this philosophy. And while it is true that an enforcer would not prevent all cheap shots, slashes etc against our skilled players, it will still do more than Shanahan or the PP will.

Probert, and Kocur mentioned in their book 'The Bruise Bros' that they did their best to protect the stars - however every so often a cheap shot was taken against one of the skilled guys...If they couldn't take care of it that game - there was always the next game where they could finish their business...Many opponents had to keep their head on a swivel when Probie/Joey were on the ice, and that to some extent created some space for others.

Edited by F.Michael, 16 December 2013 - 07:24 AM.

'Evolution' created by Offsides