Photo
- - - - -

Look who's top in GR scoring

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#21 Andy Pred 48

Andy Pred 48

Coming soon,"the slovak line" Marek and 2 Toms!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,885 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 03:55 PM

sorry for causing such a who-har but i was just using the nick name id seen used

on other threads. didnt think anyone could get that upset over such a trivial thing!

Maybe some fans should be more interested in our prospects while they are in the

farm teams and not just when they are called up to Detroit.

ps. Bannedforlife, you certaintly made a point there eh?

"What are you guys doing?" Reggie Dunlop
"Putting on the foil coach" Jeff Hanson
"Yeah, every game, you want some coach?" Steve Hanson
"Er, no. No thanks guys." Reggie Dunlop
"Make sure they don't leave the bench!" Reggie Dunlop.

#22 AtlantaHotWings

AtlantaHotWings

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 04:05 PM

Feeling lucky ....Punk(Goaltender)

Those that know Dirty Harry will get the reference others oh well watch TSN on a Saturday or watch Netflix for the Dirty Harry series of movies.

"Wakie, wakie hands off Snakie" - Jason Lee of Earl

#23 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,343 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 04:28 PM

I was under the impression that this was indeed a nickname given to him my his GR teammates and fans.  Am I wrong in that?

Edit:  Looks like some people need to brush up on their Griffins news.  Brendan Savage sorts out all the drama here...http://www.mlive.com...llahan_cou.html

Edited by kipwinger, 09 January 2014 - 04:30 PM.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#24 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,185 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 05:03 PM

I didn't know much about this kid, and after doing some reading, it seems like he was pegged as a 4th line agitator who does his best work in the greasy areas. If he has somehow developed a scoring touch, Callahan is going to be dangerous.

#25 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 05:13 PM

I didn't know much about this kid, and after doing some reading, it seems like he was pegged as a 4th line agitator who does his best work in the greasy areas. If he has somehow developed a scoring touch, Callahan is going to be dangerous.

I don't know about that.  He's still a grinder and projected fourth liner.  If Griffins stats were that relevant, Emmerton would be our next big prospect with his points/game.

Callahan gets a lot of dirty goals.  Hope he's at least given a shot next year.

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#26 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,343 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 05:37 PM

I don't know about that.  He's still a grinder and projected fourth liner.  If Griffins stats were that relevant, Emmerton would be our next big prospect with his points/game.

Emmerton never had more than 12 goals in a season and really only ever put up modest production.  He was by no means considered "the next big thing" based on his AHL totals (because they weren't that impressive).  While Callahan is definitely out performing expectations, I don't think that comparing him to a center that never produced much is fair.  It's not unreasonable to think that Mitch could put up 20-25 goals this season, which is impressive for anyone at the AHL level.  If most of those come from crashing the net, all the better.  I don't think he'll be a force in the NHL or anything, but his knack for the net shouldn't be marginalized either.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

#27 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 07:44 PM

Emmerton never had more than 12 goals in a season and really only ever put up modest production.  He was by no means considered "the next big thing" based on his AHL totals (because they weren't that impressive).  While Callahan is definitely out performing expectations, I don't think that comparing him to a center that never produced much is fair.  It's not unreasonable to think that Mitch could put up 20-25 goals this season, which is impressive for anyone at the AHL level.  If most of those come from crashing the net, all the better.  I don't think he'll be a force in the NHL or anything, but his knack for the net shouldn't be marginalized either.

Emmerton was a bad example.  My point was he still has the skillset of a grinder. That hasn't magically changed. He's not all of a sudden "dangerous".

Above average for the AHL for sure but he's an older player.  He should be a leader on that team with the amount of rookies on it. Especially if he expects to make the Wings next year.

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#28 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,343 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 07:51 PM

Emmerton was a bad example.  My point was he still has the skillset of a grinder. That hasn't magically changed. He's not all of a sudden "dangerous".

Above average for the AHL for sure but he's an older player.  He should be a leader on that team with the amount of rookies on it. Especially if he expects to make the Wings next year.

Yeah, I agree that he's likely just having a freakishly good year by his standards.  But, it's not unheard of for a guy with good skating and a willingness to go to the net to bag a decent amount (for the fourth line) of goals at the NHL level.  If we could get solid agitating, defense, and energy out of him I'd be thrilled.  If he could chip in 8-10 goals on top of that, I'd keep him on the fourth line for indefinitely.  We'll have to wait and see, but I am really looking forward to him getting some time on the big club.  In the future, if our fourth line were Callahan-Ferraro-Abby I'd be pleased as punch.

#29 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,965 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 07:52 PM

How can people not know Dirty Harry?  

I'd like to see Callahan get playing time.  Sheahan also.  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#30 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,185 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 07:58 PM

I want to be clear that I'm not projecting him to be a top 6 forward who knows how to fight and play hard ala Lucic. But to have a bottom six guy who has a scoring touch could be quite invaluable to this team. Babs and Holland preach responsible and productive hockey above all else. Callahan may be able to contribute where it matters most, while at the same time playing a greasy style game, which as LGW points out every 45 minutes, we lack.
I don't think we have a reliable player who can score dirty goals in front of the net. Cleary used to be that guy. Abby is sorta there, but he keeps switching lines and his role has changes accordingly. Helm when he's healthy. Callahan may be able to fit that role, but also specialize in it. That could be dangerous.

#31 thegerkin

thegerkin

Statue of Liberty!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:01 PM

Never heard him referred to as Dirty Harry before. I wouldn't have even guessed who the hell this was referring to. No big deal though, just a nickname :)

#32 RedWang

RedWang

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:08 PM

Not only do I log onto LGW at least once per day and have never heard Callahan referred to as Dirty Harry, but LGW isn't meant to cater exclusively to hardcore forum posters. Nicknames are supposed to make it easier to discuss the team, not to prove how funny and clever you are. Making up nicknames that no one else uses is obnoxious and unnecessary. Watch...

It looks like Yellow Mustard is going to miss some time after catching that elbow last night against the Sabres. Its really bad timing too, because our defense already thin with Big Poppa out with a concussion and Bandit serving his 5 game suspension. I would say this forces us to call up someone from GR, most likely Billy the Kid or The Player Formerly Known As Steve. We might be in trouble on the back end until we get some regulars back, since this leaves the Boogeyman as our #1 defenseman. And you know what that means!!!!

Boogeyman - Hot Topic
Heebie Jeebies - Dances with Wolves
My Little Pony - Agent Orange
~&~ (The Player Formerly Known As Steve)

Hahahahahahaha i laughed so hard reading this, just read this aloud to all my friends and everyone laughed their asses off. Funniest LGW post i've ever read. Tip of the hat to you sir. Great rebuttle.

#33 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:12 PM

Yeah, I agree that he's likely just having a freakishly good year by his standards.  But, it's not unheard of for a guy with good skating and a willingness to go to the net to bag a decent amount (for the fourth line) of goals at the NHL level.  If we could get solid agitating, defense, and energy out of him I'd be thrilled.  If he could chip in 8-10 goals on top of that, I'd keep him on the fourth line for indefinitely.  We'll have to wait and see, but I am really looking forward to him getting some time on the big club.  In the future, if our fourth line were Callahan-Ferraro-Abby I'd be pleased as punch.

I want to be clear that I'm not projecting him to be a top 6 forward who knows how to fight and play hard ala Lucic. But to have a bottom six guy who has a scoring touch could be quite invaluable to this team. Babs and Holland preach responsible and productive hockey above all else. Callahan may be able to contribute where it matters most, while at the same time playing a greasy style game, which as LGW points out every 45 minutes, we lack.
I don't think we have a reliable player who can score dirty goals in front of the net. Cleary used to be that guy. Abby is sorta there, but he keeps switching lines and his role has changes accordingly. Helm when he's healthy. Callahan may be able to fit that role, but also specialize in it. That could be dangerous.

There's no doubt that Callahan, Sheahan and to a lesser extent Ferraro are all going to be coming up at the right time as some others are on their way out.  Excited to see what they can do.

I'd like us to add another grinder of irish descent to make FA - Sheahan - Callahan and call it the "Irish Hand Grenade"  :nhl_crach:

Vince Lombardi

#34 dropkickshanahans

dropkickshanahans

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:33 PM

I'm hoping to see him play a game or two this season just to see how he does in the winged wheel. I just think he'd be a fun payer to watch, especially playing on a line with Tootoo.

#35 jimmyemeryhunter

jimmyemeryhunter

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:16 PM

I'm just looking forward to seeing ~&~ play.
He was exciting when he was just Steve.

#36 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:28 PM

been saying for weeks he should be up here and playing a few games to see how he handles the nhl , dont expect him to be a goal scorer but i think he'll be a gritty in your face player which we need .. he should be called up

#37 barabbas16

barabbas16

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 03:03 PM

I disagree that it is unfair to compare him to Emmerton.  They're playing in the same league now.  And, in that league, a 'center that never produced much' has a better point per game average than Callahan (by a good bit).  Also, Emmerton may not have ever scored more than 12 goals in a season... but he's on pace for well over that now.  Insert Callahan's name in for Emmerton's in the previous sentence and it is still true.

Just to be 100% clear - I have no issues with Callahan, btw.  And, I wouldn't mind him getting a chance in Detroit.

#38 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 03:40 PM

I'll add some context since I watch a lot of Griffins.

Callahan is playing lower in the line up than guys like Ferraro or Sheahan. He usually plays with someone like Triston Grant. He doesnt get regular PP time (did get some when there were call ups) but does play the PK. Callahan is outscoring Sheahan and Ferraro while getting way less opportunity on the PP and with less skilled linemates. Hes essentially playing the exact role he would in the NHL on grand rapids, whereas Sheahan and Ferraro are playing more of a scorers role.

Callahan is arguably the most trusted winger down there defensively. Hes out at the end of games when the other team has the goalie out and everything. Overall I do like how Sheahan has played since his call up and he has looked great, but between Callahan and Ferraro I'm not sure who should really have the edge. Both are fast (Ferraro has elite speed) but Callahan adds more of that rugged play and seems to put the puck in more.

All three should be on the team next year. They all deserve a chance. Callahan looks like a better play than Tootoo down in GR. And if the wings want to be tougher you need to keep Callahan. Hes cheap, homegrown toughness that you dont need to overspend on in free agency for guys like Tootoo

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#39 wings4thecup06

wings4thecup06

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 03:49 PM

I'm excited by this next wave of prospects due up, and would definitely be up for having Callahan get his cup of coffee in Detroit. 

By the way, what's the scoop on Ferraro? 

temp 1

#40 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,343 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 03:49 PM

I disagree that it is unfair to compare him to Emmerton.  They're playing in the same league now.  And, in that league, a 'center that never produced much' has a better point per game average than Callahan (by a good bit).  Also, Emmerton may not have ever scored more than 12 goals in a season... but he's on pace for well over that now.  Insert Callahan's name in for Emmerton's in the previous sentence and it is still true.

Just to be 100% clear - I have no issues with Callahan, btw.  And, I wouldn't mind him getting a chance in Detroit.

I don't disagree with anything you say.  You'd have to reread the post I was referencing.  Someone had suggested that based on his AHL point totals, Emmerton would have been considered "the next big thing" while in the AHL, which is untrue.  Neither he, nor Callahan, would (or should) be considered such.  I don't mind Emmerton and I don't mind Callahan, but I don't think it's fair to say of Callahan, "until he proves it at the NHL level he's just like Emmerton, because Emmerton was the next big thing too".  Emmerton wasn't, and thankfully neither is Callahan.