• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

nyqvististhefuture

Trade deadline fast approaching - who should we target?

Rate this topic

Niklas Kronwall, Ericsson and DeKeyser are the top three defensemen but, after those three, it's a mixed bag of young guys yet to fully develop and Kyle Quincey.

in a class of his own :P

Quincey is serviceable. We don't need another team's Quincey, we need someone who's better than serviceable. Unfortunately, I don't see any of the better-than-Quinceys moving. At least not for what we have to offer.

Report: Canucks' management feels team is 'no longer among the elite clubs' [theScore]

So, forget any trades for a rental player to help get a few more wins this season. While the Canucks still hope to get healthy and win a round or two this season, management's focus between now and the March 5 trade deadline, but probably especially in the offseason will be move some veteran bodies out the door and get a bit younger. It's the smart thing to do.

So maybe we'd have a shot at Edler? Shows how much I know. (Not much.)

But then, Holland isn't keen on moving youth. So, who knows.

Quincey is serviceable. We don't need another team's Quincey, we need someone who's better than serviceable. Unfortunately, I don't see any of the better-than-Quinceys moving. At least not for what we have to offer.

Semantics. You know what I'm saying.

MacDonald is better than Quincey.

Islanders’ MacDonald on block after rejecting $16M offer
Snow is believed to be looking for at least a first-round pick in return for the 27-year-old

I have to think Snow would want more than that but I think the wings could offer a pick and another piece.

I have to think Snow would want more than that but I think the wings could offer a pick and another piece.

not really.. from reading the Islanders forums their fans want him gone and iirc he was asking for a 5 mil per year offer to resign

Edited by ahkmed

The TSN "Trade Bait - Players in Play" story today lists Chris Stewart of the Blues, with a salary of $4,150,000 as possibly available with a year left on his contract . Would there be any way to make a trade work $wise, as he would sure fill the role power forward with skills that we so badly need?

http://www.tsn.ca/tradecentre/feature/?id=113259

The TSN "Trade Bait - Players in Play" story today lists Chris Stewart of the Blues, with a salary of $4,150,000 as possibly available with a year left on his contract . Would there be any way to make a trade work $wise, as he would sure fill the role power forward with skills that we so badly need?

http://www.tsn.ca/tradecentre/feature/?id=113259

Rumor has it the Rags may be interested in a Stewart-for-Callahan swap. (Not trying to pass this off as an original insight. It's been reported by many outlets.) I'm not a big Stewart fan, but I might be interested, for the right price. Like you said, he's a top-six power forward type. We could really use one of those. They'd want a high-end roster player in return, though. Who do we give them (keeping in mind we'd probably have to move some $)?

Rumor has it the Rags may be interested in a Stewart-for-Callahan swap. (Not trying to pass this off as an original insight. It's been reported by many outlets.) I'm not a big Stewart fan, but I might be interested, for the right price. Like you said, he's a top-six power forward type. We could really use one of those. They'd want a high-end roster player in return, though. Who do we give them (keeping in mind we'd probably have to move some $)?

If Franzen was healthy I'd say put him in with some other pieces, otherwise I'm not sure, I know Alfie probably doesn't want to move but right now I think they have a much better chance at winning it all than we do, so maybe him?

Quincey and/or Franzen, possibly? I am not sure what Smith makes, but perhaps he and Quincy could make the salary work if the defenseman replacing Smith was one of the Griffins kids. I don't think that the Wings would do it straight up 1 for 1, but maybe with some other pieces mixed in, they'd be more inclined to change the chemistry of the team. I think that after the whole Hossa or Franzen fiasco of a few years ago, the Wings are reluctant to admit that mistake and move Franzen for pennies on the dollar, even though he has not been what we need, even when healthy. Alfie also does not seem inclined to move, and the Wings seem to need and value his experience and savvy, especially when Pav is out and occasionally Z.

(Edit - Smith makes $1.25 million)

Edited by NYC Wings Fanatic

Maybe a little. I wouldn't mind picking him up in a swap for Kindl (I doubt they'd want Q since he's also a pending UFA). I don't think someone like that makes a big difference though. I'd still want someone better for the top 4 next year, and he'll likely be too expensive for the bottom pair.

But if we could pick him up now, get a little cap relief, then flip him at the draft to at least come close to recouping whatever pick we'd have to add with Kindl...I could go for that.

Edler just seems like a perfect fit for this team

Kronwall-Edler

Ericsson-Dekeseyer

Smith-Lashoff

Swap Edler for one of the defensive guys.

Kronwall-Dekeyser

Edler-Ericsson

that looks a lot more balanced, and it gives Edler a fellow Swede to play with while he adjusts to the new team.

Swap Edler for one of the defensive guys.

Kronwall-Dekeyser

Edler-Ericsson

that looks a lot more balanced, and it gives Edler a fellow Swede to play with while he adjusts to the new team.

Agreed. I consider Edler an offensive-minded defenseman, so I'd want him with DeKeyser or Ericsson. On paper, Edler-Ericsson is good enough to be a first pairing.

id take edler. apparently holland had an interest in him in decemember but the asking price was too much. they wanted 4 pieces for him one was a 1st.

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that Gillis and Holland had very loosely agreed on three pieces, and then Gillis bumped it up to four, and that killed the deal. If so...slightly weird, maybe.

I heard it was Nyquist + Smith and a 1st (Mantha)

Since then Nyquist stock has risen and Edler's has fallen. Canucks have a lot of pressure right now to make moves. They've held on too long to players and blown a lot of opportunities (Luongo)

I would be okay with Tatar + Smith + 1st/2nd + salary dump. Edler was an elite defensemen not too long ago. We desperately need a RH d man

I heard it was Nyquist + Smith and a 1st (Mantha)

Since then Nyquist stock has risen and Edler's has fallen. Canucks have a lot of pressure right now to make moves. They've held on too long to players and blown a lot of opportunities (Luongo)

I would be okay with Tatar + Smith + 1st/2nd + salary dump. Edler was an elite defensemen not too long ago. We desperately need a RH d man

Edler is a lefty. I think that is too much to give up. Tatar alone would hurt so much. I'd give Jurco + 1st + cap dump and that is the highest I would go for Edler at this point. In a perfect world - Andersson + Kindl + 1st + 3rd + lower cap dump

Edler is a lefty. I think that is too much to give up. Tatar alone would hurt so much. I'd give Jurco + 1st + cap dump and that is the highest I would go for Edler at this point. In a perfect world - Andersson + Kindl + 1st + 3rd + lower cap dump

Damn I thought he was a righty. I think given the Canucks situation and how they are claiming a big change I think we could possibly pick him up for cheap.

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that Gillis and Holland had very loosely agreed on three pieces, and then Gillis bumped it up to four, and that killed the deal. If so...slightly weird, maybe.

That's the way how MG is doing his deals and then wonders, why nobody bites. They've had a deal in place for Luongo and then he upped the price again and fall short.

I'd like Edler but not for the asking price of a 1 st + A level prospect + rather sign a physical guy like AMac, he can fill the shutdown role nicely and would give us a much better second pairing without costing draft picks or prospects.