228 replies to this topic

#1 LAWings

LAWings

Rookie

• Pip
  • 138 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 11:31 AM

http://www.nhl.com/i...id=nhl:topheads

Sweden captain Henrik Zetterberg did not take part in practice Thursday and missed the team picture due to a herniated disk.

Zetterberg is day-to-day and could still play against Switzerland on Friday (7:30 a.m. ET, NBCSN, TSN), according to Sweden team doctor Bjorn Waldenberg.

"We will [make the] decision [Friday] and see how he feels and how he adjusts to anti-inflammatory treatment and rest," Waldenberg said.

Zetterberg, also the captain of the Detroit Red Wings, has missed 13 NHL games this season due to back issues.

Zetterberg had a goal and won seven of 16 faceoffs in 18:14 of ice time Wednesday in Sweden’s 4-2 win against the Czech Republic.

Lovely... just friggin lovely. 

#2 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,582 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 11:37 AM

No say it ain't so....:ninja:

Back is toast...he needs to take the entire tourney off in order to heal up enough to come play for who puts his food on the table...

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

#3 Din758

Din758

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 11:38 AM

Theres no way he should play against that dumpster fire of a team tomorrow. Really shouldnt be playing at all actually for the remained of the games. Even if it were the Wings season right now Id be saying the same thing.

Crosby is a crybaby *****

#4 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,533 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 11:52 AM

He should sit out the round robin games, at least. 

#5 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 12:40 PM

Effin awesome.  Ours guys are going to come back from this tourney on one leg.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#6 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 12:49 PM

Listening to the interview with Team Sweden's doctor, I'm less worried. Sounds like it's the same thing he's been dealing with every now and then the last couple of weeks. Not good of course, but doesn't seem like anything that's likely to keep him out for very long, if he even misses the game tomorrow. 

It sucks that both Z and Pav are playing through these injuries but what can you do. I for one would think it's worse if they miss maybe their final chance at Olympic gold. 

#7 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,603 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 01:02 PM

Well hey, at least we get Steven Weiss back soon....

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#8 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,582 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 01:03 PM

Worse to miss their final chance at Olympic Gold? Worse than what, missing the rest of the Wings season? Screw the Olympics...

Thank GOD for no NHL in 2018!!!!

Edited by LeftWinger, 13 February 2014 - 01:03 PM.

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

#9 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 01:05 PM

Just so it's clear, he didn't herniate a new disc of even re-injure the previous one.  

It's become inflamed and is uncomfortable so he's resting it a bit. That's all. 

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#10 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,999 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 01:32 PM

Just so it's clear, he didn't herniate a new disc of even re-injure the previous one.  

It's become inflamed and is uncomfortable so he's resting it a bit. That's all. 

Yup. I don't get the sense that anything has really changed, aside from some inflammation. I don't have a whole lot to base this on, but I feel like if the next game were a Wings game, he'd be playing. He probably had a talk with the appropriate people and they all decided he doesn't need to play the next game, maybe even the one after that - basically, rest until the games really matter.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#11 pucktividi

pucktividi

the usual suspect

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 01:33 PM

He should sit out the round robin games, at least. 

Agree.They should beat Latvia and Switzerland even without Z

#12 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,999 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 01:38 PM

Keep in mind - most people probably don't know about Z's back issues. Sure, Wings fans and Swedes do, and certainly Swedish Wings fans do. But Average Joe Hockey Fans? Mostly no, I have to think.

So, if this is a Sochi-centric story (and it is), you're sort of obligated to mention that he had a herniated disc and the inflammation is stemming from that.

Does that make any sense? It sounded clearer in my head.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#13 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 01:50 PM

Keep in mind - most people probably don't know about Z's back issues. Sure, Wings fans and Swedes do, and certainly Swedish Wings fans do. But Average Joe Hockey Fans? Mostly no, I have to think.

So, if this is a Sochi-centric story (and it is), you're sort of obligated to mention that he had a herniated disc and the inflammation is stemming from that.

Does that make any sense? It sounded clearer in my head.

I find that all too often.  People come up to me and say something like, "I see you guys lost another guy" and it turns out the national media is just reporting a roster move the Wings made, like actually putting someone on IR to make space although they had been out for days or weeks already.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#14 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 01:55 PM

Z really tried hard to be in the lineup for detroit with datsyuk out. You could tell he wasn't fully healthy when playing the last few weeks. I think if Datsyuk was heathy Z would have sat a lot more.

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#15 L3T5G0W1NG5

L3T5G0W1NG5

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 01:58 PM

If this guy decides to play through this injury, and isn't 100% when it comes to playing for the Red Wings, we should fire him.

#16 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,094 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 02:02 PM

If this guy decides to play through this injury, and isn't 100% when it comes to playing for the Red Wings, we should fire him.

If we could fire someone Sammy would have been gone long ago lol

#17 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,999 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 02:04 PM

Z really tried hard to be in the lineup for detroit with datsyuk out. You could tell he wasn't fully healthy when playing the last few weeks. I think if Datsyuk was heathy Z would have sat a lot more.

Absolutely. He probably also feels that the C on his chest makes him beholden to Be Like Stevie, re: playing through stuff that would render mortal men fully incapacitated.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#18 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 02:05 PM

If we could fire someone Sammy would have been gone long ago lol

Understatement of the year! 

Also - babs is thinking this is good for olympics and bad for the wings lol

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#19 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,226 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 02:08 PM

He wasn't 100% leading up to the Olympics either. Z played through it with the Red Wings too, so he should have been fired already I guess. For the record, you never really get to 100% with a back injury. 

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#20 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,561 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 02:21 PM

Wow, some of the responses in this thread...unbelievable.  His back has been injured all year.  It's not like he injured it MORE by playing in the Olympics.  If he wasn't playing in Sochi he'd be playing in Detroit, and he'd still be getting injured because the NHL game is more physical. 

Are you people just dying or a reason to b*tch or what?

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."