43 replies to this topic

#1 Behind Enemy Lines in CO

Behind Enemy Lines in CO

Rookie

• HoF Booster
  • 146 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 01:48 PM

http://kuklaskorner....o-jeff-blashill

I thought this was an interesting story given that both Babcock and Blashill have expiring contracts next year.  By holding on to Blashill this year it takes some negotiating power away from Babcock next year.

#2 LAWings

LAWings

Rookie

• Pip
  • 140 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 02:26 PM

Ive been saying since last year to bring up Blashill.  He has a very impressive resume he's won every championship of the league he's coached in, knows how to use kids, even spent time as assistant in NHL so he knows what to do.

Babcock's time is over, his system doesn't work here anymore, time for some new blood and energy.  Blashill knows these kids, he's doing very well with them.

#3 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,962 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 05:31 PM

Ive been saying since last year to bring up Blashill.  He has a very impressive resume he's won every championship of the league he's coached in, knows how to use kids, even spent time as assistant in NHL so he knows what to do.

Babcock's time is over, his system doesn't work here anymore, time for some new blood and energy.  Blashill knows these kids, he's doing very well with them.

Isn't Blashill's system the same as Babcock's? i keep hearing about how the transition for Nyqvist, Sheahan, Jurco, etc is so smooth partially because the system in place in GR is an emulation of the Red Wings.
If Babcock does decide to retire or move on, I would prefer Blashill take over though. He is familiar with what it takes to be successful at every level, and is already well acquainted with the Red Wings' organization, how things are run, personelle, etc.

#4 WINGS TILL DEATH

WINGS TILL DEATH

The Enforcer. "I want my name to be spagetti"

• Pip
  • 111 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 09:20 PM

Babcocks system is fine it's the same own that won gold for Canada twice. Blash is very much like Babcock. I say we run NHL with Babs and AHL with Blash for a little more.

Babs already said even if he's not head coach he's staying in the D. He's made a home here. His daughters a senior in HS.

#5 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,759 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 09:52 PM

Babcocks system is fine it's the same own that won gold for Canada twice. Blash is very much like Babcock. I say we run NHL with Babs and AHL with Blash for a little more.

Babs already said even if he's not head coach he's staying in the D. He's made a home here. His daughters a senior in HS.

LOL.  I could have won Gold with Canada.    

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#6 FireCaptain

FireCaptain

This space for rent.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,909 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 09:54 PM

No, an overabundance of talent did that. 

Not to discount coaching but when the deck is stacked as well as it was.. coaching becomes less important.

Most nights, my posts are brought to you by Heineken and sarcasm.
Success has a thousand fathers, failure is an orphan.
We not score, is hard to win. - Pavel Datsyuk #13

#7 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 11:07 PM

I'm glad we are holding onto our organizational talent. Its time we stopped feeding other teams with great talent from the coaching staff up to the front office. The main lag that happened for us was that Holland never stepped down when he said he would (when lids retired) and we ended up losing Nill and a bunch of staff to Dallas. We need to hold onto Blashill - babs has been here for so long its almost time and we need an option to replace him when the time comes. Don't want to end up with torts.

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#8 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 05:44 AM

What did he win at Western Michigan?  

I'm glad we are holding onto our organizational talent. Its time we stopped feeding other teams with great talent from the coaching staff up to the front office. The main lag that happened for us was that Holland never stepped down when he said he would (when lids retired) and we ended up losing Nill and a bunch of staff to Dallas. We need to hold onto Blashill - babs has been here for so long its almost time and we need an option to replace him when the time comes. Don't want to end up with torts.

Pretty sure when he said that it was said sarcastically.  I don't think most took it as a career declaration.  

#9 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,977 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 05:55 AM

Would have coached this team into the playoffs too ?

Honestly NON COACHES can't coach and especially at the elite level. People - including me - were laughing at Canada playing without hockey gear but the players took advantage of it. The only thing I would bet my house on:

IF Babcock someday decides it's time to move on he will be the shortest unemployed coach ever.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#10 The Secret

The Secret

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,208 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 08:26 AM

Whoa, sit back in your arm chair and realize this /\ is a huge load of crap! Look at Dave Lewis... you think he thought he could win a Cup with Scotty's team? and did he? Nope, he failed miserably with basically the same team. Great players don't equal success if you can't get the most out of them or dont use them properly.

If we don't have Babcock behind the bench this season we don't make the playoffs for the 23rd straight year. Babcock isn't going anywhere and rightfully so. Babcock retires a Red Wing!

No, an overabundance of talent did that. 

Not to discount coaching but when the deck is stacked as well as it was.. coaching becomes less important.

Here too... BUll Crap! For the same reasons in my previous post!

#11 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 10:40 PM

Pretty clear that Blashill is our next coach. Just thinking out load a second...... how much is a HC worth in trade? Babs to Tor for.........

#12 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 11:28 PM

Pretty clear that Blashill is our next coach. Just thinking out load a second...... how much is a HC worth in trade? Babs to Tor for.........

I don't think coaches can be traded under the current CBA.

#13 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,624 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 04:18 AM

I don't think coaches can be traded under the current CBA.

If not that's kind of stupid IMO. They're under contract just like players.

But yea Babcock won't be traded. It's proven holland has attachment issues. That's why no "key" player will be traded.

#14 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,977 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 04:37 AM

If not that's kind of stupid IMO. They're under contract just like players.

But yea Babcock won't be traded. It's proven holland has attachment issues. That's why no "key" player will be traded.

It is stupid, coaches more than players need the security and players - like everyone else - need time to adjust to different systems/coaches. Trading coaches would be an absolute nightmare.

kftx.jpg

#15 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 08:35 AM

It is stupid, coaches more than players need the security and players - like everyone else - need time to adjust to different systems/coaches. Trading coaches would be an absolute nightmare.

If and it is a big one, this is babs last year, does 1 more season really change anything? 

#16 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,227 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 08:43 AM

Babs is the best coach in the NHL period.
If someone has to be replaced, it should be Kenny.
"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan

#17 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,977 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 09:06 AM

If and it is a big one, this is babs last year, does 1 more season really change anything? 

You can not trade coaches in the NHL and no, you can't trade GMs either

kftx.jpg

#18 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,313 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 09:08 AM

You can not trade coaches in the NHL and no, you can't trade GMs either

What about water boys?

#19 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 09:21 AM

Babcock has said before that 10 years is about the max a coach can be effective in one place.  Given his statements about not signing an extension, unless they're just bluster to get a better deal, and the fact that they won't let other teams talk to Blashill lead me to believe that there's a good chance Babcock steps down after next season and Blashill takes over.  Beyond that, to me it makes sense to bring in a coach who is going to have direct experience coaching most of the guys who will be the long term core of the team going forward, as well as knowing the vets from training camps.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#20 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,613 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 06:56 AM

In this article by Dave Feschuk in today's Toronto Star, he suggests that Toronto should make a strong push to fire Randy Carlyle hire Mr. Babcock.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.