Shawn Thornton will not be returning to the Bruins

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#1 SteelTownWingsFan

SteelTownWingsFan

Jr. Prospect

• 16 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 02:45 PM

What do you guys think about someone like Thornton? I think he's exactly the type of forward the Wings should be looking at. We have tons of small, skilled forwards. We need some grit up front. 

Of course, our main priority is a right-handed top 4 d-man. But still. 

What say all of you?

#2 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 03:01 PM

I like Thornton and I would take him on the team. But actually he isn't what we need.

WE NEED a shanahan or probert type. A guy that can fight AND score. Even McCarty could score some. IIRC Thornton doesn't score much at all he is just a goon.

But since were most likely not going to add what we NEED Thornton would be an ok band aid fix....that Babcock wodnt use like tootoo lol

Edited by DeGraa55, 16 June 2014 - 03:02 PM.

#3 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 03:03 PM

Well this both a blessing and a curse.  No longer will Bruins fans have the opportunity to cheer on a local hero.  On the other hand, at least Shawn Thornton will finally be able to pursue his true calling in life...dragging pretty blond women to the top of the Empire State building. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#4 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,908 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 03:10 PM

The league is running out of jobs for players like Thornton.

Edit: oh, and for the record I don't think he's what the Wings need

Edited by Echolalia, 16 June 2014 - 03:12 PM.

#5 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,456 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 03:14 PM

He can't play hockey, Babcock wouldn't use him.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#6 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,896 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 03:32 PM

Get him add Gazdic to the mix and the softish Wings are finally a thing of the past

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#7 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 03:48 PM

Get him add Gazdic to the mix and the softish Wings are finally a thing of the past

:lol:  As if.  (...not that I don't think we're softish)

Honestly, both of those guys would drag down the speed and energy of our fourth line.

Would rather:  Miller -  Helm - Abby than  Miller - Helm - Gazdic or Thorton

Edited by e_prime, 16 June 2014 - 03:52 PM.

(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#8 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,770 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 03:49 PM

He's 37 years old next month...

How could he possibly help our team and who's roster spot would he be taking?

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#9 luvmnger

luvmnger

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 03:51 PM

nah.

pass.

nope.

nada.

Dino Ciccarelli will always be #1

#10 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,896 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 03:54 PM

:lol:  As if.  (...not that I don't think we're softish)

I know sad right ? Thornton is as bluecollar as they get, he will go through the wall for his teammates and also tell them to shut up or fight their fights for themselves at some point (i.e Marchand). Chiarelli now has to get another tough as nails fourth liner or otherwise Toronto with McLaren and Orr will have a field day with their team soon. Chara is getting up in age and McQuaid, Lucic can't do the fighting stuff all the time.

kftx.jpg

#11 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 03:54 PM

He's 37 years old next month...

How could he possibly help our team and who's roster spot would he be taking?

Abdelkader?  ...but as I said above.  I'd rather have the energy line of:  Miller - Helm - Abby,  as our fourth line. 

Then either of those two (Gazdic or Thorton)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#12 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 03:56 PM

Abdelkader?  ...but as I said above.  I'd rather have the energy line of:  Miller - Helm - Abby,  as our fourth line. 

Thornton helm Abby

Now that's a line I could get excited for.

#13 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,770 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 04:05 PM

How does Thornton over Abdelkader make us a better team.  Especially when it matters...

Abby plays a 200 foot game and can play in any situation without being a liability.  He skates, usually leads our team in hits and plays with heart. (and is a Michigan boy)

Thornton fights...

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#14 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 05:15 PM

How does Thornton over Abdelkader make us a better team.  Especially when it matters...

Abby plays a 200 foot game and can play in any situation without being a liability.  He skates, usually leads our team in hits and plays with heart. (and is a Michigan boy)

Thornton fights...

Never did I say that Thornton would make us better.  Pretty sure that I indicated that a 4th line of Miller - Helm -Abs is the better option.

Threw Abdelkader's name out there... could have easily said, Glendening (probable as our 13th forward) or Miller.

Edited by e_prime, 16 June 2014 - 05:16 PM.

#15 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,896 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 06:24 PM

Boston is going to lose so much more than just a physical force they lose leadership, hardwork and the best fourth lines in the game. I am sure Calgary will offer him a contract and then we are going to see McGrattan - Thornton - Westgarth good god I love the bang for the buck of this line. Trading Seguin and now not renewing Thornton are two Chiarelli mistakes in a row

Edited by frankgrimes, 16 June 2014 - 06:26 PM.

kftx.jpg

#16 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 07:20 PM

Has the League filled Shanahan's position yet?

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#17 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,624 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 07:30 PM

Nah, Holland is too busy signing undrafted "projects." He'll have no interest in an NHL player.  Not that I think Thornton would be the answer to what we need...

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#18 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,228 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 07:33 PM

Nah, Holland is too busy signing undrafted "projects." He'll have no interest in an NHL player.  Not that I think Thornton would be the answer to what we need...

So you're being cynical just to be cynical? You don't want him to be signed yet you complain that he won't be signed?

P
Holland may not make a lot of trades, but getting free agents is something he does do.

#19 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,632 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 07:34 PM

Yeah, I really don't think he'd have a place on this team. The extra forwards as of right now are likely  Andersson and Ferraro/Callahan - they add someone else and one of those two get bumped for Glendening. Any of those guys are a better option than Thornton at this point.

As mentioned, a 4th line of Miller-Helm-Abdelkader would be preferred, though it would require the team to add another skilled forward or a prospect to jump into the top 9 (Alfie, Mantha, etc.)

#20 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,267 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 07:34 PM

It's not July 1st yet. How can Holland even have interest in NHL players?

"To whom much is given, much is expected."