• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Jersey Wing

Vaya con dios Damien Brunner

Rate this topic

Wow. Can't believe no team out there wanted to take a chance on him for the rest of this season.

I thought he might work well in Pittsburgh since they could toss him on Crosby's line while Dupuis and Kunitz are out. Like they did two years back with Jussi Jokinen.

I'm wondering if there are other off ice factors involved that made teams stay away. To me, Brunner has always had this "I'm awesome" type attitude and felt because he had some skills that he should be in the line up regardless of how little he was contributing. I'm guessing Brunner still doesn't think anything's wrong with his game, since he's giving up a decent chunk of change and an opportunity to still learn how to play in his own zone and without the puck...

Compare his situation to that of Cory Conacher. After a good showing in the lock out shortened year but regressing hard in Ottawa, he's had two opportunities to show he can be a productive player again.

That being said, I'm internally chuckling at all the people on here that called for Hollands head thinking he let the next Marian Hossa slip through his fingers...

Nestrasil picked up, Brunner left in the bin. What a wacky world we live in.

Apples to oranges.

At only 23, there's a chance Nestrasil may still have some upside and he can still be retained as a restricted free agent at the end of the season if he works out. He's also got four inches and 20+ lbs. over Brunner, and has the versatility to line up at both center and wing. He also has an easily bury-able cap hit that is a fraction of Brunners.

On the other hand... At almost 29, Brunner pretty much is what he is. A small winger who hasn't been able to hang onto a top six role in what amounts to about two seasons of NHL experience, but doesn't have the tools to play in his own end and is basically useless in a bottom six role.He also carries an unfriendly cap hit for a player that may end up buried in the AHL. His documented issues with PDB likely also make GM'S apprehensive.

My guess here is that he has refused an assignment to the AHL, which is likely best for him at this point, if he wants to stick at the NHL level.

Edited by DSM

So wait, if his contract was less money he could very well have an NHL future with the Wings? Seemed like we were interested in developing him. If I understand this right, nobody wants him because his contract is too big? And if the Devils can terminate his contract Brunner won't even get his $5 mil? That seems messed up. Seems like Brunner should be able to play in the NHL as a $500k-er and not have a retarded loaded contract by the owners screw him over

Edited by themcityblues

So wait, if his contract was less money he could very well have an NHL future with the Wings? Seemed like we were interested in developing him. If I understand this right, nobody wants him because his contract is too big? And if the Devils can terminate his contract Brunner won't even get his $5 mil? That seems messed up. Seems like Brunner should be able to play in the NHL as a $500k-er and not have a retarded loaded contract by the owners screw him over

He won't play for 500k...its not every european players dream to play in the NHL.

He can get more money at home, why wouldnt he? He wouldnt even play for 2M or whatever we offered him to stay in detroit.

Well, he learned the hard way. He really should have been a little more loyal to the Wings, because I think he'd have done well here. He still might, but he burned a bridge or two on his way out of here.

Holland does love re-signing former Wings though....HMMMM....

Apples to oranges.

At only 23, there's a chance Nestrasil may still have some upside and he can still be retained as a restricted free agent at the end of the season if he works out. He's also got four inches and 20+ lbs. over Brunner, and has the versatility to line up at both center and wing. He also has an easily bury-able cap hit that is a fraction of Brunners.

On the other hand... At almost 29, Brunner pretty much is what he is. A small winger who hasn't been able to hang onto a top six role in what amounts to about two seasons of NHL experience, but doesn't have the tools to play in his own end and is basically useless in a bottom six role.He also carries an unfriendly cap hit for a player that may end up buried in the AHL. His documented issues with PDB likely also make GM'S apprehensive.

My guess here is that he has refused an assignment to the AHL, which is likely best for him at this point, if he wants to stick at the NHL level.

Next to the amount of words wasted on the waiving of Colton Orr and Frazer Maclaren, that's the most text I've ever seen spent on two players who matter as little as these two do.

Well, he learned the hard way. He really should have been a little more loyal to the Wings, because I think he'd have done well here. He still might, but he burned a bridge or two on his way out of here.

I would still welcome him back at the right price maybe Kindl for Brunner and Boulton?

It all worked out for us , him being here would of meant one less spot when we had all those injuries and maybe jurco never would of be called up , or just played a few games as a wing

Brunner isn't being "screwed over". The NHL PA protects players from just being terminated. For it to a happen, a player and his agent also have to agree to it.

If Brunner wanted to collect his full $5M, he could have. Since no other team wants him, he could hang around Jersey and do what Lou and PDB want him to, or go to Albany and collect the same check.

I think at this point it's safe to say Damien Brunner isn't an NHL player.

Man, Sheehy really screwed Brunner over in all of this.

You know what, I really hate that p.o.s. as an agent. He's the same asshat that guided Suter through his "Imma going to Minnesota" phase.

He clearly doens't like dealing with Holland becasue Kenny won't (typically) overpay.

So now he's got one less client because Brunner's going back to Switzerland.

Edited by rick zombo

My everlasting memory of Brunner is that one between the legs inside-outside drag that he always used, and which never once worked at the NHL level. But man did that not deter him from trying it over and over and over.

It was nothing compared to Samuelsson's move, where he'd put the puck on his backhand, skate in a circle, and do nothing with it.

Man, Sheehy really screwed Brunner over in all of this.

You know what, I really hate that p.o.s. as an agent. He's the same asshat that guided Suter through his "Imma going to Minnesota" phase.

He clearly doens't like dealing with Holland becasue Kenny won't (typically) overpay.

So now he's got one less client because Brunner's going back to Switzerland.

Oh boy.

Just when I thought the Suter crap was put to bed... There was also that whole factor where Suter was dead set on going to the same team as another expensive UFA that summer. A player the Wings had no room or cap space for...

As for Brunner, he should be patting Sheehy on the back! His agent helps him secure a multi year, multi million dollar contract when he had a whopping 55 up and down games on his NHL resume. Instead of playing up to the contract, Brunner plays half assed in his own zone and without the puck, then whines about how he feels entitled to top six minutes.

In my opinion, Ken Holland gets a gold star for NOT giving Brunner/Sheehy what they wanted. Holland/Babcock probably already knew that what has now transpired in NJ was a possibility had Brunner gotten a multi year deal here. Looks like they were right. Brunner pretty much followed Fabian Brunnstroms foot prints back to Europe.

Lastly, this notion that Brunner would've been better had he stayed in Detroit is garbage. Anyone remember Ville Leino's first (and last) full season with the Wings?

Guest DeGraa55

Brunnner was his own worst enemy though. If he would been on detroit a third line he would still be in the nhl.

But his terrible attitude and lack of defense(a reason why the wings most likely didn't care if he stayed it not...specially since Tatar is doing what Brunnner did just better).