• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

Kane case headed to grand jury

Rate this topic

Patrick Kane rape case is headed to a grand jury, multiple sources say

NHL star, accuser could be called

An Erie County grand jury will begin hearing evidence next week about a local woman’s allegation that National Hockey League superstar Patrick Kane raped her, three sources close to the case told The Buffalo News.

Erie County District Attorney Frank A. Sedita III declined to comment, as did attorneys for the woman and Kane. But legal experts familiar with the grand jury process said it is likely that both Kane and the woman who made the allegation would be invited to testify before the grand jury.

The grand jury’s role would be to hear all the evidence presented by the district attorney and then vote on whether there is enough evidence to sustain a criminal charge against Kane, those experts said.

Read rest of story:

http://www.buffalonews.com/city-region/courts/patrick-kane-rape-case-is-headed-to-a-grand-jury-multiple-sources-say-20150904

Edited by Hockeytown0001

The American justice system is fascinating. Having had the opportunity to serve on a jury for a violent crime, it was truly eye opening to me to see how intensely people's personal experiences affected how they not only viewed the victims and alleged perpetrator, but how they interpreted *facts*.

Jury selection is an art AND science, man. It will be crucial in this case.

Guest Playmaker

Much to the dismay of the general public, I don't think *we* will ever know who is right or wrong or whether he committed a crime or not. Like BoS said, opinions will be formed based on personal experiences, not necessarily the facts. In cases like this, there is rarely a smoking gun, and it's more of a he said/she said.

The American justice system is fascinating. Having had the opportunity to serve on a jury for a violent crime, it was truly eye opening to me to see how intensely people's personal experiences affected how they not only viewed the victims and alleged perpetrator, but how they interpreted *facts*.

And therein lies the problem with trials by jury

It is definitely not a perfect system, but what's the alternative use one "nuetral" arbitrators/judge? I can promise you that nuetral is a very loose term with outside arbitration. The problem doesn't lie within the system alone, but within human nature.

Definitely. And there are very few white male NHL players or millionaires available to serve in that jury I fear. ;)

Not to go to far into politics, but as MasterPavel said : There is no perfect system. Here in Germany you are basically sentenced by a single judge for minor crimes or the Schwurgericht for heavier ones which consist of three judges and two citizens (called Schöffen). That is not much better than your jury trials,in fact even worse because you can't influence the composition at all. And judges are not better or worse in finding out the truth than any other person on this planet (with the exception of Brian McGrattan of course).

It is definitely not a perfect system, but what's the alternative use one "nuetral" arbitrators/judge? I can promise you that nuetral is a very loose term with outside arbitration. The problem doesn't lie within the system alone, but within human nature.

Definitely. And there are very few white male NHL players or millionaires available to serve in that jury I fear. ;)

Not to go to far into politics, but as MasterPavel said : There is no perfect system. Here in Germany you are basically sentenced by a single judge for minor crimes or the Schwurgericht for heavier ones which consist of three judges and two citizens (called Schöffen). That is not much better than your jury trials,in fact even worse because you can't influence the composition at all. And judges are not better or worse in finding out the truth than any other person on this planet (with the exception of Brian McGrattan of course).

Do you think Judges are totally unbiased or unaffected by their life experience?

Nothing is perfect.

Whoa guys, I never claimed there was a perfect system ok

With that much money you make things go away. Will be interesting to see if Kane is traded and what happens to his career as a result of all this.

That is the problem : It will never completely go away if he agrees on a settlement. But processes like this tend to get very ugly for the accused weather he or she is guilty or not so it's absolutely understandable if Kane wants to get out of this without the case going to trial.

That is the problem : It will never completely go away if he agrees on a settlement. But processes like this tend to get very ugly for the accused weather he or she is guilty or not so it's absolutely understandable if Kane wants to get out of this without the case going to trial.

Things also tend to get disgusting for the victim in these situations, so while I don't *agree* with her settling if Kane is in fact guilty, I certainly *understand* it.

I would think a settlement is likely. If he's not guilty, she's going to take the settlement and run. If he's guilty, she may well rather end it with something than face a jury and have to recount the most horrific thing that's ever happened to her, knowing that in such a high-profile case people will be glued to every word.

If I were in her shoes (assuming he's guilty), I'd take the money. Justice would not be served, but if you find yourself in that situation, sometimes your own peace comes before the greater good. At least he's been exposed and other women will be warned.