• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

LeftWinger

Wings Need on D and Glaring Inconsistencies

Rate this topic

9, nope....I was referring to next season's roster, my bad. I'd like to see a deal made before the off season, but I have a feeling, IF Holland wants Byf, he will have to pursue him UFA...IF he is still a UFA come July.

Cool

When it comes to Buff, it's a fun talking point, but deep down you have to know there's pretty much zero chance he ever comes here. He's everything the RedWings management is not.

Buff doesn't play D. he is big strong and puts up a ton of points. But he doesn't play D. Yes we Goals against is pretty good overall, but much of that is because of our G's. The turnovers, breakaways, guys crashing our net is all on the defenders. Just becasue our G's are healthy and stopping the shots, doesn't mean we don't have issues.

As for KFQ, he is hurt and a UFA after the season. So who cares? He is on LTIR and may or may not be back after the holidays. BTW Franzen is not on LTIR right now so we are not cap tight. we could have up to 4 million in space if needed.

Agreed with a couple of people on here saying that even though scoring seems to be our primary problem, that doesn't mean that our issues aren't on the back end. Luckily for us, our goaltending has been good so far this season and we have good defensive forwards. Also, I think part of the scoring problem is the fact that our D corps isn't very good at moving the puck and that hampers our ability to score because we aren't able to move the puck into the offensive zone and create chances.

We are fifth in the league in shot attempts against. Our goalies aren't bailing us out. Our team defense is actually making their job VERY easy relative to other goalies.

Goalies don't stop shot attempts. They stop shots. Of which Wings allow 30.9/game, tied for 6th most in the NHL with the Penguins and the Jets.

I don't believe that we have a "need on D". We're top ten in the league in 5 on 5 goals against AND top ten in the league on the PK. Plus out goalies are playing well. Defensively we're fine.

You could argue that we need better puck movers, but I'm not really sure that's true either. While Kronwall isn't playing well, there's no reason to believe that he won't pick it up at some point. He's consistently produced points throughout his career. Likewise Green and Kindl are moving the puck well given our offensive woes. Even Dekeyser is a capable puck mover, albeit not his specialty. I think a lot of the lack of production from the back end (as well as the forwards) was the result of learning to get comfortable in a new system which asks more of our defensemen than they've previously been expected to contribute. As the offense picks up steam, and our shot differential improves, so will the defensemen's numbers.

I do think that it wouldn't hurt to have a power forward type who can bang and crash around the net. But even that seems less necessary when you consider that Richards' return will likely push AA to the wing and given that Sheahan is currently playing wing (and looking good). That gives us decent size on the wings for the first time all year.

However, if we are absolutely sold on acquiring a big, gritty, forward, I'd take a look at Kerby Rychel for Columbus. He was drafted one spot ahead of Mantha, plays a physical game, and is rumored to be on the block. Columbus is also rumored to want a defenseman in return, and lord knows we've got a bunch of those. It's a pretty low risk move even if the kid doesn't pan out.

Otherwise I'd say stand pat. We've looked better the last 5-6 games against better competition, we're not slipping in the standings, and I think there's every reason to believe our guys (and coach) are finally finding the right fit for the system they're playing.

Any word why Rychel is on the block?

Here's our 5on5 CF% for the past 14 games. Things are obviously trending up. There's no question there was an adjustment period to get used to Blashill's system. Players are starting to figure it out and we're only going to continue to improve.

image.png

Now we just need to start hitting the net more consistently :P

I think we need a young offensive dman with good upside to grow with the team, probably spend some time in GR. I think we are stacked with good forwards for the future and some solid dmen in Dekeseyer and Marchenko, just need another dman to develop. By the time Larkin and co take over this team we'll have a great goaltender and forward group but still need some help on the back end

I think we need a young offensive dman with good upside to grow with the team, probably spend some time in GR. I think we are stacked with good forwards for the future and some solid dmen in Dekeseyer and Marchenko, just need another dman to develop. By the time Larkin and co take over this team we'll have a great goaltender and forward group but still need some help on the back end

I guess we've written off Sproul eh?

It seems a lot of people have already written off Sproul, though I'm still a huge fan, and if he can develop his defensive game a little more, he can definitely be a top four in the NHL. I have only seen a handful of Griffins games so far this season but in every one I've seen Sproul has stood out in a good way, along with Ouellet and Jensen. I still rank all three of these guys ahead of Marchenko in regards to overall potential. Sproul leads all defensemen and is second on the team in points, with 6 (1 goal, 5 assists) in 11 games. Not bad for a team that has been struggling as bad as the Griffins so far this season...

I agree number9. Richards is killing that team...

It seems a lot of people have already written off Sproul, though I'm still a huge fan, and if he can develop his defensive game a little more, he can definitely be a top four in the NHL. I have only seen a handful of Griffins games so far this season but in every one I've seen Sproul has stood out in a good way, along with Ouellet and Jensen. I still rank all three of these guys ahead of Marchenko in regards to overall potential. Sproul leads all defensemen and is second on the team in points, with 6 (1 goal, 5 assists) in 11 games. Not bad for a team that has been struggling as bad as the Griffins so far this season...

I agree number9. Richards is killing that team...

Sproul is 2nd on the team in pts with 6 but he's also -6 in those 11 games. That's alarming.

I'm talking a real blue chip prospect. Put together a nice package and get the Larkin of defensemen prospects

I prefer Dmen that have already made it to the NHL and proven themselves. When we won cups it was with Dmen that largely came from outside of the organization. Veteran guys. Yes we developed Nick and Vladdy, but for about 15 years that was it. The rest were trades and UFA's. With only having 3 years of control in the minors now it is hard to develop young Dmen. They take time, far more than F's do. Draft the forwards and trade for the Dmen.

I prefer Dmen that have already made it to the NHL and proven themselves. When we won cups it was with Dmen that largely came from outside of the organization. Veteran guys. Yes we developed Nick and Vladdy, but for about 15 years that was it. The rest were trades and UFA's. With only having 3 years of control in the minors now it is hard to develop young Dmen. They take time, far more than F's do. Draft the forwards and trade for the Dmen.

Kronwall and Jiri Fischer say Hi.

Like buff? The guy will be 35 by the time Larkin and co are in their prime and will be getting a mammoth contract

Edited by joesuffP

Kronwall and Jiri Fischer say Hi.

How long of a career did Fischer have? Then he really didn't make it did he....... There was a what 10 12 year gap between the Nick's? A long time. But the rest: Ramsey, rouse, Fetisov, Chelios, Schneider, Rafalski, Hatcher, samuelsson, etc... were all brought into the organization. we traded away the young Dmen that we had: Pushor, ward, Bubble butt, etc... Which makes sense. If you are competing for the cup you can't have rookie mistakes on the BL. if a F screws up in the offensive zone you have time and space to recover. Not in front of your own G. That kills teams.

How long of a career did Fischer have? Then he really didn't make it did he....... There was a what 10 12 year gap between the Nick's? A long time. But the rest: Ramsey, rouse, Fetisov, Chelios, Schneider, Rafalski, Hatcher, samuelsson, etc... were all brought into the organization. we traded away the young Dmen that we had: Pushor, ward, Bubble butt, etc... Which makes sense. If you are competing for the cup you can't have rookie mistakes on the BL. if a F screws up in the offensive zone you have time and space to recover. Not in front of your own G. That kills teams.

Dudddddddde not cool/fair

Well you can discount Jiri just because of his short career. That's like saying we shouldn't try to draft and develop defencemen because they might have a hidden heart defect. He was on the 2002 cup team and that was even his rookie season (though he'd played half of 2 previous years-like many RW prospects). So that's evidence against having rookies when going for the cup.

So, Kronwall and Fischer are 2 other homegrown Dmen that contributed to cups. Also, these home grown guys contributed to our cup teams for the playoffs and played throughout the playoff run:

Joey Kocur: 97,98

Jamie Pushor: 97 (only played 5 playoff games)

Aaron Ward: 97, (scratched or maybe injured in 98)

Anders Ericksson: 98 (His rookie season also, though 23 games the prev. season)

Brett Lebda: 2008 (2nd full season)

Only Kocur was drafted before Lidstrom. So, you're comment: "But the rest: Ramsey, rouse, Fetisov, Chelios, Schneider, Rafalski, Hatcher, samuelsson, etc... were all brought into the organization" isn't correct. Also, why is Samuelsson on your list of Dmen?

Edited by PavelValerievichDatsyuk