• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

LeftWinger

Wings Need on D and Glaring Inconsistencies

Rate this topic

I'm gonna go out on a limb here.

Maybe the Wings need to acquire more defensive minded guy (maybe the Wings miss Quincey more that what we think).

WRONG the wings need a RH puck moving D man who can also shut down other teams top lines and clear the crease, while playing top 6 minutes and going to the dirty areas.

Side note: Not sure if you saw but Tool is touring again. Might have to finally make a trip down to Nashville myself. Always thought that trip would be for a preds game, oh well I guess.

On a brutally honest note...I feel we need a guy who knows a few things about his end of the ice...Again - from what I've seen - it seems as though there's alot of odd man rushes...Seems as though some of our guys are getting caught outta position.

TOOL on tour?

Hoping they'll add more dates.

I wish we had a shut down type that was, ya know, actually physical and punishing. I don't dislike Quincey, but he's a poor excuse for grit on the back end if that's his role.

They're only touring the south, it's BS.

So, Kronwall and Fischer are 2 other homegrown Dmen that contributed to cups. Also, these home grown guys contributed to our cup teams for the playoffs and played throughout the playoff run:

Joey Kocur: 97,98

Jamie Pushor: 97 (only played 5 playoff games)

Aaron Ward: 97, (scratched or maybe injured in 98)

Anders Ericksson: 98 (His rookie season also, though 23 games the prev. season)

Brett Lebda: 2008 (2nd full season)

Only Kocur was drafted before Lidstrom. So, you're comment: "But the rest: Ramsey, rouse, Fetisov, Chelios, Schneider, Rafalski, Hatcher, samuelsson, etc... were all brought into the organization" isn't correct. Also, why is Samuelsson on your list of Dmen?

I'm guessing he meant Ulf Samuelsson.

Not sure if this has been posted somewhere, but Friedman is reporting that the Islanders are trying to move Hamonic.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/new-york-islanders-trying-to-trade-hamonic/

Would be a great pickup if the price is right.

Hamonic wants a trade to Western Canada to be close to family. Not likely to get moved here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The wings don't need Kindl when Green is healthy.

Kronner is more than capable of handling the 2nd unit and less of a risk, Smith is a better defender than Kindl and has similar production no surprise seeing Kindl get yanked.

Last year:

Kindl: 13 pts. in 35 games

Smith: 13 pts. in 76 games

This year:

Kindl: 5 pts. in 17 games

Smith: 2 pts. in 13 games

That's not really similar production - especially last year when Kindl played less than half of the games Smith did. Kindl is better offensively.

Why does it have to "problem" defensemen?
Why does everything have to be so negative all of the time?
...and why pick on Ericsson? Sure, you might see it as him having an off game last night, but it wasn't as if Kronner played a stellar game either?
Also, why do Red Wings fans think that our defensemen are more prone to defensive gaffes than any other team? I sometimes wonder if you guys regularly watch any other games or follow any other teams than the Wings.
I'll be honest. I never "played the game" so I don't have a great understanding of defensive systems, etc. but feel like I watch enough games around the league to know that the Wings aren't too far off from other teams defensive play. Certainly, there are teams in the league that outshine us on defense, but we're not as terrible as imagined by some.

As far as "problem" defensemen, go I will say this:
When Quincey is ready to return, one of Kindl or Smith are in trouble.
Marchenko is far and away a more solid defenseman and than either and has earned that seventh sixth spot! (thanks Zombo)
Younger, cheaper, and more reliable.

Kronner - Green
DeKeyser - Quincey
Machenko - Ericsson
Kindl/Smith

OMG. I just claimed "Ye Olde Eyeball Test" for myself.

Edited by e_prime

...and why pick on Ericsson? Sure, you might see it as him having an off game last night, but it wasn't as if Kronner played a stellar game either?

Also, why do Red Wings fans think that our defensemen are more prone to defense gaffes than any other team? I sometimes wonder if you guys regularly watch any other games or follow any other teams than the Wings.

I'll be honest. I never "played the game" so I don't have a great understanding of defensive systems, etc. but feel like I watch enough games around the league to know that the Wings aren't too far off from other teams defensive play. Certainly, there are teams in the league that outshine us on defense, but we're not as terrible as imagined by some.

Marchenko is far and away a more solid defenseman and than either and has earned that seventh spot.

Kronner - Green

DeKeyser - Quincey

Machenko - Ericsson

Kindl/Smith

Glorious response.

I think you meant sixth, no?

Also, why do Red Wings fans think that our defensemen are more prone to defensive gaffes than any other team? I sometimes wonder if you guys regularly watch any other games or follow any other teams than the Wings.

Marchenko is far and away a more solid defenseman and than either and has earned that seventh sixth spot! (thanks Zombo)

Kronner - Green

DeKeyser - Quincey

Machenko - Ericsson

Kindl/Smith

OMG. I just claimed "Ye Olde Eyeball Test" for myself.

Good post. Do you carry both Smith and Kindl on the 23 man squad, or do you make a trade?

Good post. Do you carry both Smith and Kindl on the 23 man squad, or do you make a trade?

That's a great question. Once Q is healthy, I think we're at a point where we have to trade a defenseman.

I would love to move Ericsson's contract, because I can live with a Marchenko - Kindl/Smith pairing, but I'm not sure moving Big-Rig is do-able.

So, trading Kindl or Smith is the most likely option.

...but it's bigger than that. Lets say nobody wants Kindl or Smith.

8 NHL regulars for 7 spots. Kronner, Green, Ericsson, Quincey, DeKeyser, Marchenko, Kindl, Smith is the troublesome first issue.

Marchenko could be sent back down, but that leads us to problem number two.

Sending Marchenko back down alleviates the issue only insomuch that we'll have seven defensemen, but doesn't allow us to figure out who to trade and who to keep. We have an abundance of ready to almost ready prospects in GR that are running out of options and quick.

So you move one of Ericsson, Kindl, or Smith. You've got your seven d-men, but you still have no flexibility, barring injury, in determining which -- if any -- of those guys you want to keep in the A, bring up next year, or move in a package.

Edited by e_prime

My bet is, once Quincey is healthy, and assuming no other defenseman gets injured before then, Marchenko gets sent down. I can't imagine Q will be back after this season, so that frees up one spot, and my hope is that we can trade Kindl in the offseason for a mid level prospect or pick.

I know Marchenko has played great so far but I would like to see him switched out for both Jensen and Sproul at some point just to see what we have in those guys. Sproul has been playing lights out down in GR, his offensive game has always been there but his defensive game is really coming along now as well. I still think if / when Jensen is given an opportunity in the NHL, whether that is Detroit or not, he will run with it. Jensen is twice as good as Marchenko in just about every area in my opinion. The only reason I wouldn't mind Jensen not getting a call right away is to keep him somewhat hidden in the AHL. With 4 guys becoming waiver eligible next season, there's no way we can get them all in the lineup, and as of right now I think Jensen would be the most likely to clear, just because teams probably don't know a whole lot about his game. I think Marchenko and Ouellet would be claimed for sure just because of the amount of games they've already played, and I think Sproul would be claimed as well because of the numbers he put up in juniors as well as the minors...