• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

Official 2016 Detroit Red Wings Offseason Thread

Rate this topic

All this love for Shattenkirk and he's been good in recent years, but not great. He's not elite. I read somewhere that he's looking for $7 mil a year and the way d-men are going that's probably fair. I'm not so sure we want to blow another $7 mil on a guy that's another Mike Green type player. I mean, Shattenkirk was a -14 on the Blues, which was worst on the team last season.

A couple of days ago, Holland had said that he has 6 nhl defensemen. I think he is more set on landing the two UFA forwards and then if he cannot acquire a d man he will go with the 6 he has and either address the D at the deadline or next July. Unless a great deal falls in his lap.

Karsch is pretty dialed in with sources in the Detroit area. Both college and pro...

Hmm good to know, thanks.

Heard term was the reason his deal with LA fell through.. With the Kings only wanting to go 4 years and that its less about the cap hit than it is term. Maybe he can be had for a cheap cap hit but I see his game declining after a few years.

I hope we don't get lucic.. But his style of play could definitely help us out. Would rather sign Ladd or Backes.

Out of curiosity, did they mention anything past "an unnamed source" told them?

Some comparaisons between Lucic and Abdelakder and why he could help us.

http://www.wingingitinmotown.com/2016/6/28/12047628/2016-nhl-free-agency-could-milan-lucic-help-the-detroit-red-wings

Lucic would help considering he'd be 1 of a few Wings capable, and willing of crashing the net, and getting to rebounds for those ugly goals.

Only problem is - will he be worth his salary?

Found it interesting that 63% of the poll felt Lucic would be a good fit.

Even though there's been nothing mentioned, and I don't know if there's any interest, but I wouldn't mind seeing Windsor native Matt Martin wearing the Winged Wheel.

I would go 6x6 for Lucic. Put him on line with Larkin and Tatar and he will create space for them and we will get someone who will be able to score "ugly-playoff" type goals. He's young, big, tough and mean.

Hopefully he will not end up as a McDavid winger.

I could be wrong but we can get Stamkos and Lucic... we have enough cap space?

Lucic would help considering he'd be 1 of a few Wings capable, and willing of crashing the net, and getting to rebounds for those ugly goals.

Only problem is - will he be worth his salary?

Found it interesting that 63% of the poll felt Lucic would be a good fit.

Even though there's been nothing mentioned, and I don't know if there's any interest, but I wouldn't mind seeing Windsor native Matt Martin wearing the Winged Wheel.

Martin is on my wishlist as well. True 4th liner.

Not true his contract is estimated to be around 60 million, Buffalo would have matched but his wife wanted to live in Toronto.

I think it's time for people to accept that as long as Buffalo has Pegula as their owner, they are going to be in on every big coach, free agent. I really hope Mr. I is seeing this is a challenge, so if Buffalo goes 12 million, the Wings should go 13..if Buffalo/Toronto match go 14 and so on.

I believe she's the one that didn't want to move,to Toronto and liked living in. The Detroit area is what Babcock said in an interview

getting sick of reading on mlive that its a done deal his going to tor im not saying he wont but God damn we still got as much chance as them to get him

Yea it seems like the more days go by the less people think we are going to land him. I wish we could use 3.5 mill in endorsement deals like Toronto can.

maybe it is a done deal. Would anyone really be surprised? I mean, its not really about winning anymore for some players. Look at Suter/Parise, they went home. (even though Suter is from Wisconsin, he went to wifes home.) Minny is no closer to winning a Cup than Detroit is. Its not like they went to a team to win. I wouldn't be surprised if he goes home just to get paid and be home. Whatever if thats the case. I still don't think they will winb a Cup in the 7 years he will be there. They just don't have enough pieces and if they give him $10-$12M and have to have a fire sale to clear cap, that'll make them even further away from a Cup. But, anything can happen. All we can do is offer him the money, nobody can outbid us this time, its just up to him in the end. I'll be pissed, but not at Holland.

Darren Dreger @DarrenDreger 42s43 seconds ago

Lucic is believed to be on Detroit's want list. Stamkos and Frans Nielsen are ahead of him on the list, but he's a man of interest for DRW.

I mentioned Nielsen before, lets say we lose on Stamkos, would Nielsen, Okposo and Lucic be an upgrade for our team? The three together would probably cost about $5M more than Stamkos would alone. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying just forget Stamkos and go for 2-3 others to make up for it, but only one team is going to get Stamkos. I just hope that he turns us down early so we don't miss out on the others...Maybe Holland will have a good gauge early and that'll be that. If we missed out on Stamkos, I'd be ok with a couple of Nielsen, Lucic, Ladd, Okposo, etc...

We need an electric superstar, but all we can do is match the money and see what happens. Can you imagine the boos he'll get in Toronto if he chooses Detroit? or Buffalo for that matter.... :lol:

Does anyone know the offers we tendered our RFA's? I know it was deemed "qualifying offers" but not quite sure if that is a set price based on RFA status and last years salary, or if it was a competitive offer...

I mentioned Nielsen before, lets say we lose on Stamkos, would Nielsen, Okposo and Lucic be an upgrade for our team? The three together would probably cost about $5M more than Stamkos would alone. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying just forget Stamkos and go for 2-3 others to make up for it, but only one team is going to get Stamkos. I just hope that he turns us down early so we don't miss out on the others...Maybe Holland will have a good gauge early and that'll be that. If we missed out on Stamkos, I'd be ok with a couple of Nielsen, Lucic, Ladd, Okposo, etc...

We need an electric superstar, but all we can do is match the money and see what happens. Can you imagine the boos he'll get in Toronto if he chooses Detroit? or Buffalo for that matter.... :lol:

Does anyone know the offers we tendered our RFA's? I know it was deemed "qualifying offers" but not quite sure if that is a set price based on RFA status and last years salary, or if it was a competitive offer...

there is not a chance that holland would be able to get all three. it's going to be one of the three. most likely nielson if they can't get stamkos since they really need another center

qualifying offers are a set amount based on last years salary. You can't negotiate a qualifying offer

RE: qualifying offers....

"The current team must extend a "qualifying offer" to a restricted free agent to retain negotiating rights to that player. Qualifying offers are for one year contracts. The minimum salary for the qualifying offer depends on the player's prior year salary.

Players who earned less than $660,000 in the previous season must be offered 110 percent of last season's salary. Players making up to $1 million must be offered 105 percent. Players making over $1 million must be offered 100 percent.

If the qualifying offer is not made, the player becomes an unrestricted free agent.

If the player rejects a qualifying offer, he remains a restricted free agent"

A different contract can be negotiated after a qualifying offer is extended to a player.

Edit: source https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Restricted_free_agent#NHL

Edited by amato

I believe they are getting TWO players whether they land Stamkos or not. Even if they get Stamkos, they will add another forward. If they don't get Stamkos, they will get 2 players at least. They need these changes, not just one player. I Still see them exploring D-men via trade, but if the price is too much, he'll go with his 6 and adress the D later.

If we landed Stamkos, Lucic and traded for Fowler....sucessful off season. Even if we landed Nielsen, Okposo and Fowler, if may not be as impactful as the first one, but still sucessful. We need two forwards to address two issues, scoring & toughness. We need a D that is better than we had last year. BUT is there a D available that is that much better than we had last year?

All of our interest in Justin Schultz before, he is a UFA come July 1, any interest still do you think? Also Jared Tinoridi did not receive a Q.O. so he is now a UFA, I know he has substance abuse history, but what do you think of him?

Edited by LeftWinger

I believe they are getting TWO players whether they land Stamkos or not. Even if they get Stamkos, they will add another forward. If they don't get Stamkos, they will get 2 players at least. They need these changes, not just one player. I Still see them exploring D-men via trade, but if the price is too much, he'll go with his 6 and adress the D later.

If we landed Stamkos, Lucic and traded for Fowler....sucessful off season. Even if we landed Nielsen, Okposo and Fowler, if may not be as impactful as the first one, but still sucessful. We need two forwards to address two issues, scoring & toughness. We need a D that is better than we had last year. BUT is there a D available that is that much better than we had last year?

All of our interest in Justin Schultz before, he is a UFA come July 1, any interest still do you think? Also Jared Tinoridi did not receive a Q.O. so he is now a UFA, I know he has substance abuse history, but what do you think of him?

We need a defenseman that can limit mistakes in our own zone. Something we were terrible at last year. I don't think Schultz or any of the free agents available can help us in that area.

If Holland is looking for a stud Dman - it'll then come via trade, or maybe offering a rfa a contract, and neither will be cheap.

agree if we get stamkos and lucic i could see us moving jurco pulks tats or goose + a 1 2 for a top 2 defense

Edited by sjr2012

I wouldn't mind Nielsen, but I think the team really needs to address their core. Obviously, Stamkos is the big prize this offseason, so there's going to be a lot of competition to get him. Pointing out the obvious, at this stage, he's exactly what the Red Wings need.

Adding a player like Nielsen is great when you've already got the core of your team established, but I see him as more of a solid, complimentary guy. Don't get me wrong - he's a very capable second-line center and solid penalty killer. He's also 32-years-old and apparently (as Dominator pointed out - also rumored to push over 6M, possibly) wants 5.5M+ and 3-4+ years. In terms of playing style, he's a great fit for the Wings. I don't think his situation/contract demands are the right fit, though.

We need a defenseman that can limit mistakes in our own zone. Something we were terrible at last year. I don't think Schultz or any of the free agents available can help us in that area.

Russell. The guy is rocksolid. But I think he will get overpaid...and we need a righty.