• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Juklitz

Tatar interviewed in Slovak news: About team's start, his shoulder, and trade rumors

Rate this topic

Hmm, that's quite the interview. You can't say you want out to the media - especially halfway through the season when there's still opportunity - it's selfish and a slap in the face for your teammates. You should ask the GM quietly for a trade, if you do want out. It's also weird to hear him complain about the situation when he's on the top line and underperforming dramatically - to me, you can sometimes call out the team when you're on top of your game (or in a situation like last offseason where he was misused/under-utilized), but not from his current situation.

It's too bad since I like Tatar. It's a mystery why he's been kept playing with the injury - especially that he acknowledges here that it's bad for him and the team. I guess the hard part is that they don't know what it is. Does sound like a nerve thing with a sharp pain (NerveDamage, somehow I'm blaming you).

P.S. Kick, to me, those clips don't show Nyquist's speed too well. If you notice, the Van guys are faster than him on the back-check (Yannick Weber looks really fast both ways) and his break (he beats the guy from the bench due to a head start)  

3 hours ago, kickazz said:

Anyways, as far as Tatar, a package of him and Nyquist would get us some good picks IMO. They're underproducing but so is the entire team overall. And people would associate that with Blashill, not the players. 

I mean, if I'm a GM looking to get these guys on the cheap, I'm bringing up their production over the last two years and then following that up with a low offer.

Just now, Echolalia said:

I mean, if I'm a GM looking to get these guys on the cheap, I'm bringing up their production over the last two years and then following that up with a low offer.

No sale then. GMs know the players true potential. 

Well he wants out, so be it. Let's see what other teams are willing to give up and hope for a solid pick or prospect.

Situation in the lockerroom must be really toxic right now. So ship the unhappy players and bad apples out and start building a new team, hopefully led by a guy like Patrick

15 minutes ago, Echolalia said:

No sale indeed.  We know Holland isn't shy about walking away from a deal he doesn't find to his liking.

Although if we don't make playoffs, I wonder if that changes. According to the interview Tatar thinks some big changes would happen. 

Although if we don't make playoffs, I wonder if that changes. According to the interview Tatar thinks some big changes would happen. 

Well big changes could mean everything from just trading some veterans, to firing the coach, front office or what really needs to happen scorched earth.

But the point is Tatar wants out, so find the best deal and bye. can't have a guy who wants out being part of a rebuild. He would help himself the most if he started to play better so more teams could show interest

5 minutes ago, kickazz said:

As you know I think the Wings are a playoff team under a more competent coach, but until we get some franchise talent I don't think they're winning the cup anytime soon.  Larkin might be that guy, Mantha might be that guy, AA might be that guy, or maybe combined they'll be enough to anchor our forwards for the next decade (cap problems maybe down the road), but we have nobody on defense, and its looking less and less likely that Mrazek will be that guy in net, so I'm not against stockpiling draft picks at this point to get some talent that we can develop alongside Larkin and co.

That's the other issue. A lot of our "young players" are not so young and are heading towards expensive contracts (like DK did and now Tatar is). And they're not even good enough to be a good cup winning squad. 

So yeah you're right, maybe stockpiling draft picks and getting some nice cheap talent that are really good would do our cap space well for a few years. As it stands we're in for a 4th pick in the draft. Whoever we get in that 4th pick would likely be very very good and cheap for years to come. 

Edited by kickazz

31 minutes ago, frankgrimes said:

Well big changes could mean everything from just trading some veterans, to firing the coach, front office or what really needs to happen scorched earth.

But the point is Tatar wants out, so find the best deal and bye. can't have a guy who wants out being part of a rebuild. He would help himself the most if he started to play better so more teams could show interest

If Tatar wants out, he'll be moved. You can't take a Google translated interview as proof of that. He could be simply saying he would not be surprised to be traded and will see what happens at the trade deadline. These translations should never ever be taken as 100% accurate. A lot gets lost in translation, as different languages work completely different from one another. 

Google translate is surprisingly very accurate. The question is more about whether the tone implied is what we percieve it as. Maybe Slovaks just have a blunt way of speaking and it's not mean to be offensive

Edited by kickazz

2 hours ago, frankgrimes said:

Well it probably doesn't help he's playing with a bad shoulder in which some days he can't even move his arm. But that contradicts what you're saying so lets just ignore that whole part of the interview.... He probably just needs more truculence 

9 hours ago, kickazz said:

What?? Why should Tatar not be traded and Nyquist should? Both played 40 games and have 18 points each. They're both equally having terrible seasons in their total point productions. It's more embarassing for Tatar because he's on the top line with Zetterberg and Mantha who are the two best right now and they're both outshining him, even carrying him on some plays. Nyquist plays on a third line...

if anything I say Tatar should be the one traded. Clearly from this interview he doesn't want to be in Detroit. Well if that's the case then fans don't want him either. Get out if you don't like it here Tatar. 

But putting all that aside, I'd probably trade both. 

It seems like he wants out.  Looking at the stats they're pretty much the same but I like him better than Nyquist.  But I agree both probably should be traded.  

15 minutes ago, Euro_Twins said:

Well it probably doesn't help he's playing with a bad shoulder in which some days he can't even move his arm. But that contradicts what you're saying so lets just ignore that whole part of the interview.... He probably just needs more truculence 

And with a bad shoulder he still has more goals than Nyquist.

13 minutes ago, Hockeymom1960 said:

And with a bad shoulder he still has more goals than Nyquist.

That's still Tatar's fault. I believe the doctors with the franchise told him he needs to take the summer off or he will end up having surgery and Tatar still decided to go play in the international games over the summer for Slovakia/Team Europe. The Red Wings are his employer, we pay him, and he decided to put us low on his priority list. 

He's at fault here. No way to make excuses for him. 

Edited by kickazz

1 hour ago, kickazz said:

Google translate is surprisingly very accurate. The question is more about whether the tone implied is what we percieve it as. Maybe Slovaks just have a blunt way of speaking and it's not mean to be offensive

There is some truth to this lol. I can tell you this having visited Slovakia 4 times and having a ton family who immigrated here from Slovakia.

"Maybe the General Manager for me gets a good offer and it will be on the Exchange. I thought about it many times, especially after last season, after which I was not happy in Detroit. "

Make it happen Kenny

Edited by Wingnut1989

I ran it through Bing Translate (which is more accurate) and the section on the possibility of a trade translates to:

"You've arrived at the um, bad results can result in the fact that you will replace the Club?
"It's possible, if we do not fight your way into the playoffs, so here it is the big things and changes. Some teams will want to certainly foster before play-off. It is always about business. Maybe General Manager gets a good offer for me and it will be on the exchange of thinking. I thought about it many times, especially after last season, after which I was not happy in Detroit. Promised me that will change everything, but it's hard. I am unsatisfied with my performance. "

Still says he thought about it, but it comes off a bit differently to me. "thought about it" could mean the possibility of being traded. Who knows if a couple important words are imprecise in translation. I wish we could track down a slovak or get some english coverage on the article to confirm what it says.
Edited by PavelValerievichDatsyuk

7 hours ago, marcaractac said:

If Tatar wants out, he'll be moved. You can't take a Google translated interview as proof of that. He could be simply saying he would not be surprised to be traded and will see what happens at the trade deadline. These translations should never ever be taken as 100% accurate. A lot gets lost in translation, as different languages work completely different from one another. 

I´m czech, so I can clearly understand what he´s saying in slovak language, that´s not an issue. Bigger issue for me is to present in english and yes, it´s little bit tricky, there are some major cultural differences when trying to understand real meaning when speaking to slovak or americans, you can trust me, I´ve got nice experience with that - it´s very tough to explain to North Americans the real meaning of eastern european words (well, I´d rather to call it central european instead, while CZ/SK area is not really eastern europe, but nevermind that) - language and it´s philosophy it´s very different, so as the way how eastern europeans are answering on hard and personal questions. And this is the example of Tomas´s answers. I know, that he´s not 100% honest and he won´t say ´I WANT to leave´, he´s not saying it and he would deny this meaning if asked by american newspapers for sure.

There is an other reason why I´m saying so - I don´t like this Tatar guy. I saw several interviews and videos with him and I don´t like his attitude, I believe he´s a man without sense for humility.. I don´t  think that slovaks have blunt way of speaking in general, but Tatar has for sure. Worst example is vlog with some slovak youtuber who´s interviewing people while playing video games, and as far as it was with Tatar and it was in June (afaik), it was obvious to speak him while playing latest NHL 20xx game re-matching Tampa vs. Detroit. His quotes is something I for sure would NOT expect from well paid professional right after underperforming the whole season and kicked out from p-o like a kids. Tragedy. Or bad self-marketing. Or I don´t care. 

5 hours ago, PavelValerievichDatsyuk said:

I ran it through Bing Translate (which is more accurate) and the section on the possibility of a trade translates to:

" Who knows if a couple important words are imprecise in translation.  "

Yes, and this is the example. Bing is more accurate with words than me - it´s a machine -  but this is the way how you can get lost in translation, because I (as a native speaker) can say you, he would use different set-up, if he would like to say something like "I can imagine a trade, because we sucked last two seasons and I´m afraid about our current situation". He´s using these words, but I don´t believe him. When asked on ´what´s wrong?´, he has NO answers, he doesn´t know... but when asked about a trade, he makes the whole paragraph of this. He has this option in his head and he has clear scenarions what will happen with HIM, but there´s not a single idea what´s with the TEAM. It´s very clear to me, actually. 

Still, you can´t expect NHL players to speak 100% truth even in local media (there are some nice excepts, like Milan Michalek when speaking about his Leafs mission, lol, or Plekanec - who is generally very kind and I like his attitude or the same with Fleischman). So you have to try to understand his words in context. 

But..sorry for a long text... - I do insist on my version and I´m saying this guy doesn´t care about Red Wings future and he´s prepared to #packhiss*** in a heartbeat. 

11 hours ago, Euro_Twins said:

For all I care learn his native language or hire someone to translate it. I go by what I've read and it sounds like he wants out which is his right and fine by me. Nobody forced him to play in the world cup he could have had surgery back then instead of playing through it and maybe be a better player for the Wings who knows. Doesn't even matter anymore, he is unhappy and expects and/or wants to get moved. Maybe a team hurting for offense is offering something useful for him.

19 hours ago, Echolalia said:

No sale indeed.  We know Holland isn't shy about walking away from a deal he doesn't find to his liking.

except if it's a Wings free agent

He's probably getting pressure from the team to play through it since he's able to and they have so many other guys hurt.  As far as wanting out, the organization went from the best in the NHL to a joke with a roster full of mediocre guys who are on unmovable contracts for the next 3+ years.  Why the hell would you NOT want out if you want to win?

Trade him. I really don't care at all at this point. Very few guys on this team, including Tatar, have much heart anyways. The level of apathy on display this season is pathetic. I'm truly ready for a full rebuild. This team lacks character; it's a sorry class of clowns for the most part. You don't have to have the most talented bunch, but you need guys with heart; you need winners. These guys are not winners.

Edited by gcom007