• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

MabusIncarnate

Official Expansion Draft/NHL Awards, Crosby love fest thread.

Rate this topic

46 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I'm not sure what you were expecting from an expansion team. Of course they have a few bad contracts, but at a good price (future assets). Clarkson will never play again, and Grabovski may or may not be ready to start the season. They received 2 first round and 2 second round picks for taking on two players that may end up on LTIR for the majority or entirety of their contracts. Not a bad haul. They'll likely keep Neal and Perron, at least until the deadline, where they might get another few high picks. As for their defense, there is definitely a market for the majority of them. Methot and Emelin should garner a decent return, same goes for Van Riemsdyk and Miller if they decide to move them. But like I said, this is not the team they're going to roll out in October. They have a glut of picks in the draft, and I would expect at least one (maybe Nolan Patrick or Nico Hischier) to be on the roster this season. They also picked up a stud defenseman in Shea Theodore. So they could potentially have a true number one defenseman and number one center right out of the gate. There are a lot of teams in the league that can't say the same, and unfortunately we're one of them...

He was just traded to Carolina

http://www.tsn.ca/golden-knights-trade-van-riemsdyk-to-hurricanes-1.786208

All I can say about their roster is they won't be the 1993 Senators, that's for sure. They're in much better shape than any expansion franchise since SJ joined in 1991. SJ's goalies were Jeff Hackett, Jarmo Myllys, Arturs Irbe, and Brian Hayward. OTT were Peter Sidorkiewicz, Dan Berthiaume, Steve Weeks, Darren Madely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually, I forgot Florida made the Finals in 1996 with Vanbiesbrouck. I doubt they beat that timeline from expansion to EC Champs.

19 minutes ago, kliq said:

I seen that, but WHY? They don't have enough high-end defensive prospects? Trying to emulate the Predators mold of having four top two defensemen I guess...

Eberle for Strome...

What have we learned?

The NHL continues to put on sh*tty shows that are void of entertainment or fan engagement. If you think about it this was an unbelievable opportunity to make a mark on league history and in my opinion I believe it totally fell flat. I sat through the whole damn thing hoping there would be some sort of watershed moment that turned the whole thing around and was just left beyond disappointed.

The Fallout….

Interesting amount of trade activity, considering the rumors going around it was definitely not the volume I had predicted. However, I will say I really thought the Golden Knights would walk away from this with at least 4-5 first round picks.

Aside from Fleury, I’m not at all surprised by the lack of elite talent. After all, it does seem that Vegas put more of a focus on sustainable asset management i.e. loading up on as many draft picks as possible.  I think we can all agree that we do NOT expect the Golden Knights to hold onto a number of their expansion selections. In fact, I believe many of their more “talented” selections will be flipped over the next 48 hours.

State of the Wings…

Damn shame we didn’t get the luxury of some cap relief. As a Wings fan and hockey guy, I have split feelings about where our beloved organization stands. We lost a promising young talent and championship caliber AHLer, which I believe has NHL promise. At the same time, we completely retained an overpaid roster.

I find Holland and Co. gamble in their asset management, exposing the players they did and end up with the result to be very interesting – looking at you Mrazek.  

Surprises of the Night…

I was really puzzled by a few of the Golden Knights expansion selections, specifically passing on Grubauer and Rannta. Were there any that threw you all off?

Also, Kathryn Tappen should have flat out been made the sole MC. Whoever paired that moron with her needs to be fined and suspended.

Edited by Keep Your Stick On the Ice

Didn't know where to put this but figured since it kind of has to do with fallout from the expansion draft (NYI shedding salary) this was fine.. 

they're trying their best to give Tavares a reason to stay. 

Done deal now.

18 minutes ago, Keep Your Stick On the Ice said:

Surprises of the Night…

I was really puzzled by a few of the Golden Knights expansion selections, specifically passing on Grubauer and Rannta. Were there any that threw you all off?

A bit surprised by Grubauer as well, and Nosek obviously. Surprised they didn't pick up more prospects, though that will probably come in the next few days.

The Haula pick is surprising if there's no more to it. Tuch for taking Haula over Dumba seems cheap, and Vegas could give up a conditional pick as well.

The prices some teams paid to protect/lose players is pretty insane. 

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

I'm not sure what you were expecting from an expansion team. Of course they have a few bad contracts, but at a good price (future assets). Clarkson will never play again, and Grabovski may or may not be ready to start the season. They received 2 first round and 2 second round picks for taking on two players that may end up on LTIR for the majority or entirety of their contracts. Not a bad haul. They'll likely keep Neal and Perron, at least until the deadline, where they might get another few high picks. As for their defense, there is definitely a market for the majority of them. Methot and Emelin should garner a decent return, same goes for Van Riemsdyk and Miller if they decide to move them. But like I said, this is not the team they're going to roll out in October. They have a glut of picks in the draft, and I would expect at least one (maybe Nolan Patrick or Nico Hischier) to be on the roster this season. They also picked up a stud defenseman in Shea Theodore. So they could potentially have a true number one defenseman and number one center right out of the gate. There are a lot of teams in the league that can't say the same, and unfortunately we're one of them...

I was expecting either they would go cheap in the expansion draft, hit the cap floor, and build through the draft over the next few years.  Or hit the cap limit by selecting the best players available or waiting to sign UFAs in a couple weeks in hopes to lure new fans to the arena with bigger name players.  Selecting mediocre players with somewhat sizable cap hits with the intent of trading them for more picks is kind of risky.  If the other team doesn't want to waste picks for these players, then you're stuck with them.

2 minutes ago, Buppy said:

A bit surprised by Grubauer as well, and Nosek obviously. Surprised they didn't pick up more prospects, though that will probably come in the next few days.

The Haula pick is surprising if there's no more to it. Tuch for taking Haula over Dumba seems cheap, and Vegas could give up a conditional pick as well.

The prices some teams paid to protect/lose players is pretty insane. 

Yea Haula and Tuch seems pretty cheap for passing on a few of the Wild's unprotected. 

3 minutes ago, xtrememachine1 said:

I was expecting either they would go cheap in the expansion draft, hit the cap floor, and build through the draft over the next few years.  Or hit the cap limit by selecting the best players available or waiting to sign UFAs in a couple weeks in hopes to lure new fans to the arena with bigger name players.  Selecting mediocre players with somewhat sizable cap hits with the intent of trading them for more picks is kind of risky.  If the other team doesn't want to waste picks for these players, then you're stuck with them.

In most of those cases, Vegas was enticed to select those players, or they were the best players available. 

7 minutes ago, xtrememachine1 said:

But building through the draft is exactly what they intend on doing. Like I've said, they have a TON of picks already and will get even more in the next day or two. On top of all of those draft picks, they also acquired some very nice pieces. I think McPhee has done great so far, and he's only getting started.

I noticed a pic on the NHL site with Vegas' big four pick ups sitting on bar stools in their new jerseys and Flower waving and smiling like an idiot. Was there some cheesy interview session with them? Hahaha