• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

ChristopherReevesLegs

Next GM

Rate this topic

After Holland is gone and moves up, sooner or later, who's next?

The shoe-in seems to Draper, however he has only been around during the demise of the Red Wings front office.

Yzerman is the long shot that most fans want, but does he really want to come here and risk destroying his HOF reputation in Detroit like Sakic has done in Colorado?

But what about the dark horse, and the real reason I'm starting this thread, Sergei Fedorov? He is currently GM of CSKA Moscow and from what I understand he's done well. Putin basically charged him with returning Moscow to Red Army glory (if that's even possible). His contract as GM of CSKA just so happens to be up at same time as Kenny's. He's expressed interest in being a GM in North America. I believe he has also stated that at that point, he would like to reside in US full time. In the last year the Wings have openly discussed that they need to think about putting 91 in the rafters, and at the time, it seemed like those statements came out of nowhere.

So what if we retired 91 and appointed him GM after Holland? Anyone like this idea?

I think they need to go outside of the organization.  No Draper, no Martin, no Fedorov, no Yzerman (I don't think he'll come here anyway).  The Wings need a house cleaning, and none of those guys would do it.

That said, I don't have a legit candidate at this time.

49 minutes ago, joshy207 said:

I think they need to go outside of the organization.  No Draper, no Martin, no Fedorov, no Yzerman (I don't think he'll come here anyway).  The Wings need a house cleaning, and none of those guys would do it.

So you're against anyone who has ever had any affiliation with the organization? Fedorov hasn't been a part of the Wings in 14 years. You're really limiting your options by doing that.

If Holland steps down, I really dont care if they are in the organization, outside of it, used to be a part of it etc. I want the best person for the job. I want the person doing the hiring to be completely unbiased when making a decision. 

Edited by kliq

Would rather have Feds as Asst GM to start with. Don't know why Yzerman wouldn't want to come here. I think this would be a more coveted place to be a GM than TB being an original 6 team and a legit hockey market and all. I would think there would be several current GMs who would want to come here. Poile, Nill come to mind. I definitely think Stevie would want to come here and I think that may always have been the plan. But then again I thought Steve Alford was a shoe in for the IU Basketball head coaching job when Creen got let go, so what do I know.

36 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Would rather have Feds as Asst GM to start with. Don't know why Yzerman wouldn't want to come here. I think this would be a more coveted place to be a GM than TB being an original 6 team and a legit hockey market and all. I would think there would be several current GMs who would want to come here. Poile, Nill come to mind. I definitely think Stevie would want to come here and I think that may always have been the plan. But then again I thought Steve Alford was a shoe in for the IU Basketball head coaching job when Creen got let go, so what do I know.

No thanks, the guy wouldn't have a clue as to managing an NHL team. 

Second bold part. Why? Nill is building Dallas with Seguin and Benn. No reason to come to a team that's inferior. 

2 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

But what about the dark horse, and the real reason I'm starting this thread, Sergei Fedorov? He is currently GM of CSKA Moscow and from what I understand he's done well. Putin basically charged him with returning Moscow to Red Army glory (if that's even possible). His contract as GM of CSKA just so happens to be up at same time as Kenny's. He's expressed interest in being a GM in North America. I believe he has also stated that at that point, he would like to reside in US full time. In the last year the Wings have openly discussed that they need to think about putting 91 in the rafters, and at the time, it seemed like those statements came out of nowhere.

So what if we retired 91 and appointed him GM after Holland? Anyone like this idea?

We would basically be hiring an inexperienced GM

KHL is a trash league and the NHL actually has rules that handicap GM decision making.

If we're getting another GM he better be ******* good at what he does. We're the Detroit Red Wings. We brought in Scotty Bowman and then Mike Babcock. We sprouted Yzerman and Nill. We have high class workers here that have moved on to other teams and done well.

Bring Lou Lamoriello if possible. Or someone in that level of GM-ing. We need an elite GM not some chump. 

Edited by kickazz

1 hour ago, joshy207 said:

Shanahan says hi. He had no office experience with a team, was part of the wings, and look what he's done with the leafs... Just saying. 

8 minutes ago, Euro_Twins said:

Shanahan says hi. He had no office experience with a team, was part of the wings, and look what he's done with the leafs... Just saying. 

He hasn't done s*** bro. Call me when they win the cup. Even Holland has 4. And Holland sucks. 

But on a serious note. Lets be honest Shahanan has a s*** ton of executive experience before he went to the Leafs. Dude was the VP of hockey and business development for the league. Then went on to become the NHL Senior VP. Did all that crap for about 5 years.  Probably has a better understanding of the ins and outs of the league than anyone. 

Edited by kickazz

18 minutes ago, kickazz said:

No thanks, the guy wouldn't have a clue as to managing an NHL team. 

Second bold part. Why? Nill is building Dallas with Seguin and Benn. No reason to come to a team that's inferior. 

You missed the "what do I know?" part.  He was the Wings Assistant GM before he went to Dallas? He was groomed here, he still has ties to the team and I am assuming his stay in Detroit was a positive one. Wings ownership and upper management has always been admired and well thought of around the league. Good team or bad, I think there would be a lot of interest in the job, including Nill. Its not like the cupboard is bare either. Plus you can spend to the cap, and no more "streak". In a couple years the Ericsson, Helm, Abby, Kronwall, Weiss contracts are off the books. You'll have Larkin, Svech, and Rass to build around, and other pieces to trade for dmen. Assuming that Holland doesn't add anymore bad contracts that is. I guess its like asking would you rather GM a good Astros team or a bad Yankees team?

Edited by Neomaxizoomdweebie

I hate when teams hire home town heroes to coach and GM,  it's always received well by the fans and almost never works out.   Usually sets bad teams back even further.  Of the people currently available I'd take Lombardi,  but I'm not even crazy about that.   The only GM I like absolutely is Tallon, and I don't see him going anywhere. So I guess I'm no help on this.   I'd be fine with Martin I guess.   Seems to do a good job with player acquisition in his role as Griffin's GM. 

No way I'd want Lamoriello. I really don't want Draper, although that's probably who it ends up being. Martin could be a decent choice I guess. I'd love to have Yzerman back, but I don't see that happening. I'd also like Nill, but for the same reason as Yzerman, I doubt that happens. No thanks on Fedorov. Around the league, I have no idea who / if any other contracts are up after this season. I'd love to have Poile, but that's not going to happen... I just want a GM that isn't afraid to shake things up. Someone that is willing to make a trade to upgrade the team. That someone is no longer Holland...

44 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Yah, cuz Lou will just jump right on board.  Next.

His contract is up same time as Holland. My point is we can only get people that are available. Lou, Yzerman, Holland are all up to re-sign. 

48 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

You missed the "what do I know?" part.  He was the Wings Assistant GM before he went to Dallas? He was groomed here, he still has ties to the team and I am assuming his stay in Detroit was a positive one. Wings ownership and upper management has always been admired and well thought of around the league. Good team or bad, I think there would be a lot of interest in the job, including Nill. Its not like the cupboard is bare either. Plus you can spend to the cap, and no more "streak". In a couple years the Ericsson, Helm, Abby, Kronwall, Weiss contracts are off the books. You'll have Larkin, Svech, and Rass to build around, and other pieces to trade for dmen. Assuming that Holland doesn't add anymore bad contracts that is. I guess its like asking would you rather GM a good Astros team or a bad Yankees team?

He signed a 5 year contract extension with Stars last year... 

Edited by kickazz

33 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

No way I'd want Lamoriello. I really don't want Draper, although that's probably who it ends up being. Martin could be a decent choice I guess. I'd love to have Yzerman back, but I don't see that happening. I'd also like Nill, but for the same reason as Yzerman, I doubt that happens. No thanks on Fedorov. Around the league, I have no idea who / if any other contracts are up after this season. I'd love to have Poile, but that's not going to happen... I just want a GM that isn't afraid to shake things up. Someone that is willing to make a trade to upgrade the team. That someone is no longer Holland...

Ken Holland

Steve Yzerman

Lou Lamoriello

Bob Murray

These are all the big name GMs who are finishing their contracts this year and still have no signed extensions. Which is weird because GMs usually re-sign the summer before their last year. 

Edited by kickazz

Didn't realize Nill was extended, sorry about that. Definitely a "no" then. I hadn't thought about Lamoriello because I thought he was Vice President with the Leafs, but now I see he's GM. So it wouldn't be a demotion then. I always liked what he did with the Devils (aside from the Kovalchuk deal), would love to have him here,  but according to Leafs fans, Toronto is the place everyone wants to go and noone wants to leave so...  Just hoping Yzerman isn't signed by his choice, and he is just waiting to see what happens with Holland.

By the way. There is no way in HELL the Illitches would let Sergei Fedorov be in charge of this team.

It’s one thing to retire a jersey. It’s a one time thing and it’s done mostly to recognize the good stuff. But it’s an entirely different thing to let the man that betrayed you run your beloved franchise. 

The whole “maybe retire number 91” was Ken Holland speaking because Holland likes Fedorov. I think the whole reason it hasn’t been done is because the Illitches still hold a grudge.

Edited by kickazz

I agree, we need a sweeping if the cupboard! From Holland down. They don't need to be fired, just not given the GM spot. But the entire coaching staff needs to go, sans the goalie coach since he's done a bang up job with Howard.

The new GM must rid this team of MOST the huge contracts and some useless players in order to make an impact in the JT sweeps, as well as landing a legit top defender. Ericsson, one of Nyquist/Tatar, Helm, the rights to Mrazek, Sheahan and AA if he doesn't come down to earth.

I'd keep Abby as long as he doesn't see anything above the 3rd line, but I'm not opposed to trading him.  I am a big fan if DD on a personal level, but if in the next season he doesn't turn it around, I'll be looking to deal him too. 

Most important is to get rid of Blash and crew, Why? 1st powerplay unit:

Tatar - Z - Abby

Nyquist  - Kronwall

100% unacceptable!

26 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

I agree, we need a sweeping if the cupboard! From Holland down. They don't need to be fired, just not given the GM spot. But the entire coaching staff needs to go, sans the goalie coach since he's done a bang up job with Howard.

The new GM must rid this team of MOST the huge contracts and some useless players in order to make an impact in the JT sweeps, as well as landing a legit top defender. Ericsson, one of Nyquist/Tatar, Helm, the rights to Mrazek, Sheahan and AA if he doesn't come down to earth.

I'd keep Abby as long as he doesn't see anything above the 3rd line, but I'm not opposed to trading him.  I am a big fan if DD on a personal level, but if in the next season he doesn't turn it around, I'll be looking to deal him too. 

Most important is to get rid of Blash and crew, Why? 1st powerplay unit:

Tatar - Z - Abby

Nyquist  - Kronwall

100% unacceptable!

Omg lol it's a thread about GM candidates not about Blashill or our pp unit and team lines. 

Edited by kickazz

1 hour ago, kickazz said:

Omg lol it's a thread about GM candidates not about Blashill or our pp unit and team lines. 

It is about a new GM. We need a new GM to sweep it all away and what I posted is what the new GM needs to do. The example of our pp unit is just a prime example as to why Blashill needs to be swept aside by that new GM. We need a new GM that has no ties or loyalty to these players and coaches. 

Excuse me for going into details of why we need a new GM from outside the organization. I'm not sure who would be best, but anyone from within will not make the necessary moves to flush the old out of here.

10 hours ago, kickazz said:

By the way. There is no way in HELL the Illitches would let Sergei Fedorov be in charge of this team.

It’s one thing to retire a jersey. It’s a one time thing and it’s done mostly to recognize the good stuff. But it’s an entirely different thing to let the man that betrayed you run your beloved franchise. 

The whole “maybe retire number 91” was Ken Holland speaking because Holland likes Fedorov. I think the whole reason it hasn’t been done is because the Illitches still hold a grudge.

Betrayed?  You've been watching professional wrestling too much lately.  He didn't betray anyone, though, he definitely made a dumb decision to leave.  

17 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

After Holland is gone and moves up, sooner or later, who's next?

The shoe-in seems to Draper, however he has only been around during the demise of the Red Wings front office.

Yzerman is the long shot that most fans want, but does he really want to come here and risk destroying his HOF reputation in Detroit like Sakic has done in Colorado?

How about Putin?  He gets stuff done and is rumored to be leaving office next year.  

14 minutes ago, GMRwings1983 said:

Betrayed?  You've been watching professional wrestling too much lately.  He didn't betray anyone, though, he definitely made a dumb decision to leave.  

How about Putin?  He gets stuff done and is rumored to be leaving office next year.  

putin-set-to-be-russian-president-again.