• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

LeftWinger

Official 2018 NHL Amateur Entry Draft Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

18 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I hope not. At least I hope that's not the reason we'd draft Hughes... No matter how the top 5 goes, Hughes will be 2nd, 3rd or 4th on my wish list...

I'd personally prefer Bouchard, Wahlstrom and Kotkaniemi over Hughes.

Well, I have a feeling that Hughes might go before #6

I predict this top 5 draft order

1 - Dahlin

2- Svechnikov

3  - Kotkaniemi

4 - Tkachuck

5- Hughes

With Zadina falling to the Wings

8 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Anybody know when specifically drafting starts tomorrow? I can't seem to find a start time oline

If you hear a blood curdling howl, that's Lefty, and it means the draft started 25 minutes ago. 

1 minute ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Well, I have a feeling that Hughes might go before #6

I predict this top 5 draft order

1 - Dahlin

2- Svechnikov

3  - Kotkaniemi

4 - Tkachuck

5- Hughes

With Zadina falling to the Wings

My guess is...

BUF - Dahlin

CAR - Svechnikov

MTL - Kotkaniemi

OTT - Hughes

ARI - Zadina

1 minute ago, krsmith17 said:

My guess is...

BUF - Dahlin

CAR - Svechnikov

MTL - Kotkaniemi

OTT - Hughes

ARI - Zadina

That would be my nightmare scenario. Tkachuk is the one player I really don't get all that excited for so I don't like the idea of him falling to 6 at all. If Zadina's still there at 5, Kenny needs to play ball.

4 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

That would be my nightmare scenario. Tkachuk is the one player I really don't get all that excited for so I don't like the idea of him falling to 6 at all. If Zadina's still there at 5, Kenny needs to play ball.

I agree 100%. Of all the players that could be available, Tkatchuk is toward the bottom of my list. There are at least 5 players I'd put ahead of him. Fortunately, I don't see us drafting him, even if he is on the board at 6. If we're going to draft a winger and Zadina is gone, I'd hope for Wahlstrom.

26 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Well that's 4 pm for me and I'll have to at least start watching at work... Perhaps a good time to bust open the filing cabinet bourbon? :ph34r::drunk:

8:30 for me and I'll be well on er by then... Going out for pre-draft drinks and poker.

18 minutes ago, AtlantaHotWings said:

I'd be okay with this.

We also traded for Edmonton's 10th overall pick and drafted Bouchard. F*** Yeah!

Edited by krsmith17

7 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

8:30 for me and I'll be well on er by then... Going out for pre-draft drinks and poker.

I'd be okay with this.

We also traded for Edmonton's 10th overall pick and drafted Bouchard. F*** Yeah!

I'll take it. Trade AA+ #30 and #36 for #10. Draft Wahlstrom then Bouchard. Then a solid C prospect at #33.

I still think Montreal takes Kotkaniemi though. 

20 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

You and I are gonna be the only ones happy when we draft Tkachuk. Cheers!

Hey now, just because he’s not my first choice doesn’t mean I wouldn’t be happy if we drafted Tkachuk :innocent:

27 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I'd be okay with this.

Take all them Leaf bois money please

7 minutes ago, NotTooAbby said:

Don't know if it's been mentioned, but is anyone actually going to the draft?  

I'm not this year, but I've been to one before.

It's pretty boring just sitting around watching the tables and the picks slowly get made, but if you wanna see/meet staff of any kind it's really good for that. Scouts, coaches, and GM's will walk around the arena like normal folks for once. In one day I exchanged words, however brief, with John Chayka, Tony Granato, Brad May, Brian Burke, a Montreal scout, and Bob Mckenzie and his son (who I believe is a scout). I saw a lot of other recognizable faces too, but I can't remember now. But like I said the draft itself I found pretty anticlimactic... probably something I recommend doing once though.

8 minutes ago, Datsyukian-Deke said:

One of my friends will be there. Wish I could go. 

I'm going and I plan on doing some day drinking in the 102° heat.  Just look for me yelling at Bettman from the boo-alcony

1 minute ago, F.Michael said:

Might be my opinion only, but I'm getting tired of seeing Gary B get booed everywhere he goes.

People need to grow up, and realize he' the 'mouth' for the BoG.

Hope the trend ends when Detroit hosts the draft, and Gary is welcomed with an applause.

I've thought this a few times as well. Though part of me still sincerely believes he's a giant turd ferguson.

5 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

Might be my opinion only, but I'm getting tired of seeing Gary B get booed everywhere he goes.

People need to grow up, and realize he' the 'mouth' for the BoG.

Hope the trend ends when Detroit hosts the draft, and Gary is welcomed with an applause.

3 minutes ago, Wheelchairsuperhero said:

I've thought this a few times as well. Though part of me still sincerely believes he's a giant turd ferguson.

IMO, at this point it's just tradition. Just like not touching the eastern/western championship trophy, or throwing octopi. It's just what you do, and I think Bettman has the same attitude as he's pretty much embraced at this point.

Just now, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

IMO, at this point it's just tradition. Just like not touching the eastern/western championship trophy, or throwing octopi. It's just what you do, and I think Bettman has the same attitude as he's pretty much embraced at this point.

Most definitely, which is why It by no means offends me. I do however find it a bit awkward sometimes. But oh well, have you seen those ears? Can't help but boo that guy.

Just now, F.Michael said:

What really sucks is that I'll most likely be taking a nap when the draft starts (damn you 3rd shift weekend program).

Dude, what's up with this 7 PM start time? Has Day 1 always started that late? I feel like it hasn't, but I'm probably wrong.

10 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Just curious what people here think of Ryan Merkley. He's a top 5 talent offensively; thinks the game well, great skater, great hands, phenomenal passer, but is mediocre defensively and is said to have some "off ice issues". Because of this, I doubt the Wings would have any interest in him, but I think a kid that talented could be worth the gamble with one of our 30, 33, 36 picks (if he's still available). Merkley seems to be the definition of boom or bust potential. All the skill in the world, but may never put it all together, due to a "poor attitude"... Is this being overstated or is there legit reason for concern? I don't know, but coaches and teammates seem to talk highly of him. Not like they're going to bash him though... But if it's not coming from the people closest to him, I'd like to know where all the negative exposure is coming from... Is he worth the risk? I personally think he is, but know the Red Wings likely think otherwise.

How often do the kids with attitude/behavioral issues work out well for the team that drafts them tho?

6 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

7:00pm EST

You had my attention at @carleykjohnston.

6 hours ago, F.Michael said:

IMHO - Lucic wouldn't be so bad as a Wing (even better if we drafted Tkachuk - 2 bad boys on the Wings), but ONLY if Chiarelli ate 75%  of the contract.

Just imagine...Tkachuk goads an opponent into a fracas - only to be speared in the gonads by Lucic...

I wouldn't want Lucic. At some point, the shenanigans outweigh the on ice contribution. Same reason I am not interested in drafting Tkachuk. I can see the same thing happening with him by the time he reaches Lucic's age. Not worth it IMO.

5 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

I'd be okay with this.

Newfoundland and ur weird 30 minute time zone.

really could care less just like every other year

yay we have a top ten pick which we wont see in the big league for another 3-4 years/ disappointing to fail so hard and still wont get any help

i get it holland has to rebuild the team younger. i dont think hes capable. ala Edmonton.

you got larkin mantha AA for future IMO none of them will be top 30-40-50 in league ever. dont consider them go to guys or game changers no future on the back end. i keep hearing about this guy and that guy from the griffins but if they were so good theyd be up here so doubt theres too much future there unless its a 5-6-7 guy

no one wants to come to detroit anymore. holland couldnt make a good trade to save his liife and a ton of bad contracts.

expect to be in the bottom 10 next couple years unless a miracle happens

5 minutes ago, brett said:

really could care less just like every other year

yay we have a top ten pick which we wont see in the big league for another 3-4 years/ disappointing to fail so hard and still wont get any help

i get it holland has to rebuild the team younger. i dont think hes capable. ala Edmonton.

you got larkin mantha AA for future IMO none of them will be top 30-40-50 in league ever. dont consider them go to guys or game changers no future on the back end. i keep hearing about this guy and that guy from the griffins but if they were so good theyd be up here so doubt theres too much future there unless its a 5-6-7 guy

no one wants to come to detroit anymore. holland couldnt make a good trade to save his liife and a ton of bad contracts.

expect to be in the bottom 10 next couple years unless a miracle happens

Yeesh, did someone steal your bike today?