• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

kickazz

1/31 GDT - Sharks @ Red Wings - 8:00 PM EST

Rate this topic

5 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

The age gap is too far spread to simply say Howard is whatever to Mrazek "at this point in time"... Who do you think will be more consistent when Mrazek is Howard's age and Howard is 41? Not really a fair comparison is it? Though you'd probably still say Howard because "Mrazek will be sucking it up in a lower tier European League"...

Howard is a veteran, and Mrazek is just entering his prime. Of course Howard is more consistent. Zetterberg is more consistent than Athanasiou as well. Does Athanasiou suck just because he's not "consistent" every night? No. People see flashes of brilliance in AA, just like most do in Mrazek. In a rebuild, we should be looking to keep as many of these type players as we can, not trading them for peanuts, and keeping the vets...

I'm not in the business of discriminating against players based on age. You either can play or you can't, I don't care how old you are, 18 or 45.

People cried and moaned about Howard being inconsistent his entire time in Detroit. However, he has never been as inconsistent as Mrazek has been so far.

3 minutes ago, chaps80 said:

I think i’m one of the only posters that’s constantly defended Mrazek. Most that did at one point had given up on him. 

Yes, Howard has been more consistent this year. But not all Mrazek’s games were crap before this stretch either. He’s had a few good ones. The Washington OT loss and the Edmonton shutout especially showed the talent was still there.  Too early to give up in my opinion, especially when the team isn’t contending.

I don’t even see the big deal about moving a goalie this season anymore. Not even sure there’s a market besides NYI. Chicago has Crawford returning soon so they’re out. 

You are. But that doesn't mean others have given up on him. They come pouring out of the wood work the moment he posts a decent game to talk about their Howard trading fantasies.

They've been silent this season and last because there's not much ground to stand on defending Mrazek. He's got "potential" only goes so far, it's pretty clear he's not the better goalie.

2 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I'm not in the business of discriminating against players based on age. You either can play or you can't, I don't care how old you are, 18 or 45.

People cried and moaned about Howard being inconsistent his entire time in Detroit. However, he has never been as inconsistent as Mrazek has been so far.

He hasn’t been inconsistent his whole career. Around 2014 or so is when it began. Coincided with his injuries and the team beginning to decline. He lost focus for awhile. Then when he was on the trade block he had a wake up call and worked on his game. His resurgence happened at the same time as Mrazek’s decline. 

It’s too bad they both didn’t play well at the same time, then this discussion wouldn’t be happening. Howard would have a starting job elsewhere.

13 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

You are. But that doesn't mean others have given up on him. They come pouring out of the wood work the moment he posts a decent game to talk about their Howard trading fantasies.

They've been silent this season and last because there's not much ground to stand on defending Mrazek. He's got "potential" only goes so far, it's pretty clear he's not the better goalie.

This I can agree with. There are those that only pop up when he’s doing well.

13 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I don't think that's really so clear at the moment, so we'll have to see how long that moment lasts. All I'm saying is that when you have a young guy like this who had the start he did and struggled, but kept fighting behind the scenes and played himself back into the lineup, it might be wise to take a wait and see approach. If this was year after year of fits and starts, that'd be one thing, but it isn't. We're talking about an early period of this guy's career on a terrible team with a goaltending situation that both have admitted publicly is somewhat difficult. Maybe, just maybe, that's not the best environment, and maybe, just maybe, that had a hand in screwing with a young kids attitude? Maybe he got a wakeup call and pushed through and rose above it. Again, from reports from coaches all year, that may have been the case. Now he's getting his shot to prove it, and so far so good. We are not rich enough on guys with his kind of upside to just shrug our shoulders and say piss off. If he can keep this up, you have to find a way to get him one last chance next year.

And for the record, I was saying that quite early in the season before all this. I've thought from the start that they needed to give Mrazek a fair shot this year given what the coaches were saying and what we know of his upside. I think it's dumb it's taken this long and it has nothing to do with hating Howard. It has everything to do with AGE and what's best for this team long run. I don't even think we should trade Howard. I say f*** all and keep both next year unless you can get a decent return for Howard. Howard is never going to win a Cup here, so if we can move him to a good team where he has a chance and he's cool with it, great. He's not going to make or break us next year if Mrazek s***s the bed again; we'll be f***ed either way. So deal him if you can, be grateful to have him one more year for Mrazek testing if you can't. It seems win-win to me.

I've never "given up" on Mrazek, and I know of several others around here that haven't either. I also know of several others that think Mrazek sucks, but aren't as vocal about it. Like CRL said, he's loud, and so is chaps on this topic, but there are people on both sides.

I've been saying for months that Mrazek needs a legit shot again. He's been given that. So far, so good. Let's see how he handles the next few games, few weeks, rest of the season. No way would I trade low on him at the trade deadline though.

3 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

I don't think that its because ur criticism wasn't warranted at times. I think it was more that you always seemed to hold Franzen to an unrealistic standard by always comparing him to Hossa based on your belief that Franzen was chosen over him. They were 2 entirely different players and comparing them based on contracts or performance was unfair to Franzen.

were you even around back then?

I just want everyone to know, that even though I'm tough on Mrazek, if he turns this ship around and really becomes the goalie we envisioned he would become back in 2015, and legitimately unseats Howard for the starting job, I will be the first to say GTFO, Mrazek sucks big ones and Howard was always better.

Just thought ya'll would wanna know that.

40 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I've never "given up" on Mrazek, and I know of several others around here that haven't either. I also know of several others that think Mrazek sucks, but aren't as vocal about it. Like CRL said, he's loud, and so is chaps on this topic, but there are people on both sides.

I've been saying for months that Mrazek needs a legit shot again. He's been given that. So far, so good. Let's see how he handles the next few games, few weeks, rest of the season. No way would I trade low on him at the trade deadline though.

Yeah, I don't get the sentiment of "people coming out of the woodwork when he has a good game." You don't just pick a horse and keep supporting it even after it's been turned into glue. They have to look like a viable option to argue the team to go forward with them. Haven't given up on him and wanted them to give him some starts so that we could see where he's at and whether he could get his game back. Glad to see that happened and that he's taking advantage of the opportunity.

I'm not a Howard hater by any means, but, Mrazek should definitely get extra consideration because of his age and what he could mean for the team's future. Also, his age and his flashes of great play mean the possibility of him developing to a higher level than Jimmy.

His recent games at least starts that conversation, but I think it's way too early to judge. I do think this surge in play should stop any conversations about trading him for a lower pick. I rather keep him beyond the trade deadline and see if this continues.

Edited by PavelValerievichDatsyuk

4 hours ago, kickazz said:

OMG YES PLEASE KEEP FIGHTING.

I miss the old days where were all fought. Now it's just me against the world.

Tell em @LeftWinger

Tell em @ChristopherReevesLegs / @number9

@rick zombo @jimmyemeryhunter @kipwinger Ya'll wanna get on this Franzen vs Hossa fight as a throwback again too? 

Rick? rick?? Rick you there??? 

NOOOOOO he's gone :*( 

Damn you @Bill Berzeench this is all your fault. 

I feel like I've been left out of the Fight Club faction.

1 hour ago, LeftWinger said:

were you even around back then?

No, but Franzen v. Hossa was discussed ad nauseum for years afterward in here. It finally subsided with the LTIRetirement of Franzen a couple of seasons ago. I know this because I visited here regularly (as I do other Wings/hockey sites) for years before signing up.

6 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

No, but Franzen v. Hossa was discussed ad nauseum for years afterward in here. It finally subsided with the LTIRetirement of Franzen a couple of seasons ago. I know this because I visited here regularly (as I do other Wings/hockey sites) for years before signing up.

So are you a Franzen or a Hossa guy?

14 minutes ago, brett said:

mantha reminds me of franzen. im not sure of the stats but hes invisible a lot. hell score in bunches in games that we win by a wide margin. we also have tatar and nyquist like that too

Carbon copy. But Mantha hasn't signed his 11 year 4 million dollar contract yet, so we're looking the other way on this one right now...