• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

LeftWinger

Official 2018 Off Season *Rebuild* Thread

Rate this topic

They gotta get rid of Holland and Blashill.

Bring in Nielsen and Daley last year to help the offense.  Nielsen was playing a defensive role with guys who can't score, fans complained he wasn't producing offense.  Daley was better than Green, no PP time.

Holland says they're going to rebuild in the 18-19 season, brings back Green and Vanek with NTCs, limited room for any kids to make the team out of camp now.  The defense was putrid last year, they made no changes except dumping XO for nothing.  Dekeyser is going to be back in a role he's not suited for, Jensen wouldn't be in the NHL with any other team, and the rest of the guys are to the points in their careers where they tend to get worse than the year before to some degree.

Holland talks about wanting to contend with this roster and the need to surround the kids with vets.  The team is 75% vets. Every player signed this year should have been a guy like Booth on a 1 year deal for minimum salary, and as soon as a kid showed he was ready, the vet gets sent to GR. It's better to lose with kids than lose with washed up vets.  The kids have a chance to improve, with the vets the best you can hope for is they don't drop off too much.

I can't think of many reasons to support this s*** show of a team until Holland is gone.  My time is limited, I need to prioritize what little free time I have. If they're not going to try to rebuild, it's a waste of time.

2 minutes ago, DickieDunn said:

Bring in Nielsen and Daley last year to help the offense.  Nielsen was playing a defensive role with guys who can't score, fans complained he wasn't producing offense.  Daley was better than Green, no PP time.

Holland says they're going to rebuild in the 18-19 season, brings back Green and Vanek with NTCs, limited room for any kids to make the team out of camp now.  The defense was putrid last year, they made no changes except dumping XO for nothing.  Dekeyser is going to be back in a role he's not suited for, Jensen wouldn't be in the NHL with any other team, and the rest of the guys are to the points in their careers where they tend to get worse than the year before to some degree.

Holland talks about wanting to contend with this roster and the need to surround the kids with vets.  The team is 75% vets. Every player signed this year should have been a guy like Booth on a 1 year deal for minimum salary, and as soon as a kid showed he was ready, the vet gets sent to GR. It's better to lose with kids than lose with washed up vets.  The kids have a chance to improve, with the vets the best you can hope for is they don't drop off too much.

I can't think of many reasons to support this s*** show of a team until Holland is gone.  My time is limited, I need to prioritize what little free time I have. If they're not going to try to rebuild, it's a waste of time.

I honestly forgot we have Daley. Then again, I completely stopped watching after the Trade deadline - I couldn't stomach it any longer. 

4 minutes ago, DickieDunn said:

Holland wants the team to compete. So the kids can be in close games and maybe win a few. He never said anything about contending. I thought this was well understood around these parts? 

40 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Holland wants the team to compete. So the kids can be in close games and maybe win a few. He never said anything about contending. I thought this was well understood around these parts? 

Holland is just trying to make it seem like he's "making moves" for his boss Chris Illitch. Each contract is between 1-3 years. About the time Holland is up for another contract himself in case he needs to redesign some s***. I ain't a Holland hater either. But I smell a GM making moves with playoffs on his mind. 

Stan Van Gundy did the same thing for the Pistons when he traded for Blake Griffin. 

They're def trying to contend for a playoff spot. This is a roster built to make a run but will likely end up being a bubble team. Depending on if Zetterberg plays and if the goalies are good we may end up not being a bubble team and fall in the standings. 

Edited by kickazz

Just now, kickazz said:

Holland is just trying to make it seem like he's "making moves" for his boss Chris Illitch.

Stan Van Gundy did the same thing for the Pistons when he traded for Blake Griffin.

They're def trying to contend for a playoff spot. This is a roster built to make a run. 

Make a beer run maybe. 

This team is built to win maybe 5 more games than it did last season. 

1 hour ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

He wants to try to make the playoffs, even though they probably won't and will get bounced in short order even if they do.  It's a waste of time and lengthens the rebuild time when it finally does actually happen.  

50 minutes ago, DickieDunn said:

He wants to try to make the playoffs, even though they probably won't and will get bounced in short order even if they do.  It's a waste of time and lengthens the rebuild time when it finally does actually happen.  

Fresh take. Now go find me a quote where Holland says he wants to make the playoffs.

Till then, maybe you should change your avatar...

TMS-Statler&Waldorf-BalconyBox.jpg

21 hours ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Fresh take. Now go find me a quote where Holland says he wants to make the playoffs.

Till then, maybe you should change your avatar...

TMS-Statler&Waldorf-BalconyBox.jpg

“As we go forward over the next year or two, and we’re trying to transition from older people, it’s important we’re competitive,” Holland said in a conference call. “

Holland is looking long-term, but would still like to see this particular roster contend.

“The hope is we can hang in,” Holland said. “The longer we can hang in, the better the environment is for everybody, for the fans, our players, especially for our younger players.

“My focus is probably a little bit down the road, (but) hopefully we can hang in and be in the playoff race. In order for that to happen, some of the young people that were on the team last year need to take another step. We need some of the veteran players to play at the same level or a touch better.

“Dealing with young people, there’s no track record. If all those young people can take a little step, we can be relevant. If not enough of those players take a step forward, or take a step backward, it’s going to affect our ability to compete.”

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2018/07/01/detroit-red-wings-get-goalie-jonathan-bernier-three-years-bring-back-thomas-vanek/749094002/

Defense is the same, minus XO. Jensen is bad, Dekeyser is a 2nd pair D, and the rest are on the back side of their careers.

Zetterberg, Vanek, Nyquist, Abdelkader, Nielsen, Helm, Glendening, Witkowski are all either going to be about as good or worse.  Larkin, AA, Mantha hopefully will improve. Frk is what he is if he makes the team.  Bertuzzi will probably make the team, but he's going to top out as a 2nd/3rd line guy. There's 12 spots locked up, with Frk, Turgeon, Svechnikov, Rasmussen, and maybe Zadina fighting for one spot.  A smart GM whose team was in the Wings' position would be signing guys to one year minimum salary deals with the understanding that if a young player is even close to as good as the vet, the kid gets the spot.  Holland isn't doing that.

30 minutes ago, DickieDunn said:

“As we go forward over the next year or two, and we’re trying to transition from older people, it’s important we’re competitive,” Holland said in a conference call. “

Holland is looking long-term, but would still like to see this particular roster contend.

“The hope is we can hang in,” Holland said. “The longer we can hang in, the better the environment is for everybody, for the fans, our players, especially for our younger players.

“My focus is probably a little bit down the road, (but) hopefully we can hang in and be in the playoff race. In order for that to happen, some of the young people that were on the team last year need to take another step. We need some of the veteran players to play at the same level or a touch better.

“Dealing with young people, there’s no track record. If all those young people can take a little step, we can be relevant. If not enough of those players take a step forward, or take a step backward, it’s going to affect our ability to compete.”

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2018/07/01/detroit-red-wings-get-goalie-jonathan-bernier-three-years-bring-back-thomas-vanek/749094002/

Defense is the same, minus XO. Jensen is bad, Dekeyser is a 2nd pair D, and the rest are on the back side of their careers.

Zetterberg, Vanek, Nyquist, Abdelkader, Nielsen, Helm, Glendening, Witkowski are all either going to be about as good or worse.  Larkin, AA, Mantha hopefully will improve. Frk is what he is if he makes the team.  Bertuzzi will probably make the team, but he's going to top out as a 2nd/3rd line guy. There's 12 spots locked up, with Frk, Turgeon, Svechnikov, Rasmussen, and maybe Zadina fighting for one spot.  A smart GM whose team was in the Wings' position would be signing guys to one year minimum salary deals with the understanding that if a young player is even close to as good as the vet, the kid gets the spot.  Holland isn't doing that.

Like I said they want to be "competitive" so the kids aren't scoopin' pure poop for the next 5 years. He wants to hang in there for the sake of culture. He talks about making the playoffs down the road a bit. This is his message and it's mind-blowingly obvious. 

Vanek and Green and Bernier were all good singings. If Zadina and Svechnikov can't outplay AA or Frk or even lil Bert to earn top 9 minutes than they deserve to be in GRs. Similarly, if Hronek or Chowlowski can't take a spot from Jensen? Come on. 

End

of

story

Edited by The 91 of Ryans

On 7/1/2018 at 9:01 PM, The 91 of Ryans said:

Make a beer run maybe. 

This team is built to win maybe 5 more games than it did last season. 

You never know what is going to happen. There is always 1 or 2 teams that should make the playoffs who have a horrible season for one reason or another. YOu always have that 1 or 2 teams that overachieve and make the playoffs too. Don't think the playoffs are out of the question. I think they'll be in the running longer this season, falling just short of making it. That said, I think we have seen this team bottom out, and I expect them to get gradually better over the next 2 years before really pushing into a solid playoff team.

15 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

You never know what is going to happen. There is always 1 or 2 teams that should make the playoffs who have a horrible season for one reason or another. YOu always have that 1 or 2 teams that overachieve and make the playoffs too. Don't think the playoffs are out of the question. I think they'll be in the running longer this season, falling just short of making it. That said, I think we have seen this team bottom out, and I expect them to get gradually better over the next 2 years before really pushing into a solid playoff team.

Maybe Bernier can win half a dozen games that Mrazek couldn't. 

My reason to watch this year will be to see if they can score some goals. 

But fuuuuck me. That D is still bonkers bad.

6 hours ago, Wheelchairsuperhero said:

Your Goku picture makes my Goku picture feel insecure.

Your Goku isn't even over 9000 

6 minutes ago, Dabura said:

I got turned into a cookie. I don't wanna talk about it.

Does this make you angry?

latest?cb=20141107014356

4 minutes ago, matt198913 said:

With all the forwards they have, Zadina might be on the outside looking in. That sucks

HOW ABOUT WE TRADE SOME OF THESE FORWARDS FOR.... I DUNNO...  A ROSTER SPOT OR TWO AND A PROSPECT(S) AND PICK(S)?

god i need to stop yelling.

1 hour ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

If this is true, I really hope he makes the team out of camp. Another year in Halifax wouldn't be the worst thing, but I'd like to see him turn pro this season.

4 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

It may actually force Hollands hand to move a F in order to make room for Zadina. There's no reason to send him back down to juniors.

The Vanek signing doesn't look too hot not eh? Unless of course this has been the plan all along, and Holland has a master plan to have Vanek, Rasmussen, Zadina and Svechnikov on the team...