• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Dabura

2020 Draft Thread

Rate this topic

9 minutes ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

Where did mckenzie day this? In his new top 60 rankings?

the days of paying goalies 10 mill a season should never have existed , id pay  8-8,5 max and i think teams wont be paying 10+ for goalies in the future , especially with scoring on its way up

I think we’re well on our way to getting a good d core with drysdale or without , id only even consider him if we dropped to 4+ and for me thats not an option haha 

Anyways i dont wanna keep thinking anything else but #1 we deserve it after this mess + ive always believed the draft is rigged and cant see bettman allowing an original 6 team to further tumble down .. it’s our turn 

He has Drysdale ranked 4, but he discussed Drysdale during an intermission during one of the WJC games on TSN. Mad high praise for the kid, and he said to watch out for him in the tournament next year because he will be the go to guy at 18 years old. He also said he has no doubt he'll be a top pair dman in the NHL. 

Even 8-8.5 is extremely high for a goalie iin the league today. As I said, teams need two goalies now. Gone are the days of an elite goalie playing 70 games a season. With Askarov, once passed his ELC, you'd need to play him that much cause you wouldn't be able to afford a good backup. Look at the Leafs, Habs. Then you have teams like Boston who have Halak to rely on to give Rask a break. 8-10 million on goalies is fine if it is for two of them. 

Sure we can still have a good future defense without Drysdale. But we'll still need to add one more high level dman for that to happen. So if it's not this year, it would likely have to happen next year to get the other Hughes. 

Of course, this only matters if we fall to 3 or 4 anyway. There is a 65% chance of that happening. And I'd obviously rather see us draft Lafreniere over anyone. I just don't think Askarov should ever be considered unless Yzerman snatches up another first and he drops on draft day. 

3 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Top 5 pick again next year. Guaranteed. 

I think we draft 4-7 next year. We'll leapfrog three of SJ, LA, Ana, Ott, NJ.

Edited by marcaractac

15 minutes ago, marcaractac said:

He has Drysdale ranked 4, but he discussed Drysdale during an intermission during one of the WJC games on TSN. Mad high praise for the kid, and he said to watch out for him in the tournament next year because he will be the go to guy at 18 years old. He also said he has no doubt he'll be a top pair dman in the NHL. 

Even 8-8.5 is extremely high for a goalie iin the league today. As I said, teams need two goalies now. Gone are the days of an elite goalie playing 70 games a season. With Askarov, once passed his ELC, you'd need to play him that much cause you wouldn't be able to afford a good backup. Look at the Leafs, Habs. Then you have teams like Boston who have Halak to rely on to give Rask a break. 8-10 million on goalies is fine if it is for two of them. 

Sure we can still have a good future defense without Drysdale. But we'll still need to add one more high level dman for that to happen. So if it's not this year, it would likely have to happen next year to get the other Hughes. 

Of course, this only matters if we fall to 3 or 4 anyway. There is a 65% chance of that happening. And I'd obviously rather see us draft Lafreniere over anyone. I just don't think Askarov should ever be considered unless Yzerman snatches up another first and he drops on draft day. 

Think elite goalies should be playing 60-65 games , if vasilevsky and price etc... aren’t now its because they’re injured. As for askarov i dont think he’d get that money right after his entry level contract if the teams still at the bottom 

Leafs just had no money left cause mr prodigy cant negotiate contracts and overpaid guys , dont even think anderson is getting that much money from what i remember , Mtl is just a f*** up and they have ton of unused cap space so they can afford a back up right now if they really wanted to np

Or someone like tuomisto or johansen pans out (i recall hearing alot of scouts we’re praising us on landing johansson) + im sure we can land someone good at 32 ... yes im counting on us landing #1 haha , plus who knows maybe werenski comes home . I know once we start getting better we’ll be a more attractive option again to ufa’s 

Well i do know people said the same about knight last year and he dropped to 12 and people wont shut up about him now and if askarov is suppose to be as good or better id have no problem trading #4 to #7 taking him and landing another pick ... but like i said id one of the top 3 forwards now or even raymond over anyone else 

we can always pick up a goalie like daws in the 2nd or 3rd if we wanted to (i know he sucked at the world juniors but besides that hes been good) or someone else ... dont think we’ll be able to land another first to land askarov with cause if we get lucky enough to land one itll be in the 20-31 position 

2 hours ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

I'd just like to remind everyone that we'll 100% be picking top 5 again next year. It's tempting, after this heinous season, to want this draft to be epic. I get it. But I like to look at it like we'll come out of the next two drafts with either two elite/high end forwards or defensemen or a combo of the two. Maybe throw a goalie in there as well. 

But I benefit from knowing that it'll be 5 years before this team sniffs at success again. By then, the cupboards will be stacked with goodies. 

1 hour ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Top 5 pick again next year. Guaranteed. 

No way. Yzerman will trade Albin Grewe for Michael Dal Colle, sign Jan Rutta to a 2 x $3, and from there the sky is the limit.

3 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Hakan Andersson.

I was thinking that. It's blurry but I don't think we have any other scouts with that dark of a complexion.

Seider and Stutzle are good friends, and our GM and best scout are over there watching Stutzle's games together.

Gotta say that's a pretty good sign.

I'll be a lil bit bummed if we win the lottery and Stoots has to go to a different team. But then I'll remember we have Lafren and all is well.

18 hours ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

im gonna sleep like a baby on drysdale ... think in 2-3 years we’ll start being ok at d , we need elite forwards and an elite goalie and id prefer targetting those with our top pick , preferably a forward 

I mean, fair enough. But don't we also need elite defensemen? Mind you, I don't like Drysdale just because he's a defenseman. I like him because I feel he's as good a defenseman as Byfield/Stutzle/Raymond is a forward. I think you could make a case for him being the #2 guy right now.

3 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

:siren:

Yzerman spotted scouting Stutzle in Germany

3ntpny.jpg

Anyone know who that is next to him?

No one. There are 2 empty seats.

Is men wearing children's scarves so tight that it's choking them a thing in Germany?

Edited by Neomaxizoomdweebie

1 hour ago, Dabura said:

I mean, fair enough. But don't we also need elite defensemen? Mind you, I don't like Drysdale just because he's a defenseman. I like him because I feel he's as good a defenseman as Byfield/Stutzle/Raymond is a forward. I think you could make a case for him being the #2 guy right now.

Course we do but hronek seems to be headed that way , seider has that potential , i still think cholowski can be a 30-45 pt dman if he works his d s*** out and becomes a regular ppl guy + maybe if turn s*** around detroit native and larkin buddy werenski comes home?

id just try and target a superstar franchise forward with a pick that early , i wouldnt even consider him at 2 or 3  but its all good we all have a different opinion

12 hours ago, marcaractac said:

If we don't get Lafreniere, I'll be bummed out. But by the time the draft itself rolls around I'll be ecstatic at the odds of either Byfield, Drysdale, or Stutzle.

Right. That's the point I'm making with the Drysdale hypothetical. Missing out on Lafreniere would suck, but this year's pool of consolation prizes is going to be unusually deep.

12 hours ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

Ya how sure are you on drysdale? Is he makar good ? Or like barrie? Big difference for me , i know we absolutely need an elite forward to join this team . Drysdale is like the only dman rated in what the top 10? For sure when we look back in this draft we’ll see dmen picked later on that will be just as good if not better 

As for the dmen i think we’re ok with seider,hronek,mcisaac in 2-3 years and hopefully we get lucky and one  of tuomisto,johanssen pan out + haven’t given up on cholowski yet as some  people seem to have + always our 2nd rounders to pick a dman, trade, ufa i think we’ll be ok

As for goaltending sure we can pick up “good” goaltending as you put it , nothing great  ...looking back in the wings recent history we won despite not having elite goaltending (we got hasek at the end of his career) If we actually got an elite goaltender this time around it would be a big + but id rather concentrate on the forward with our first pick and get the goalie and d later

Anyways like krsmith said , im choosing to believe we wont drop 3 spots so theres no point talking about #4 till the draft results and jinxing ourselves . Im more looking ahead at prospects we can land in the second round with upside than doing my head in with whats a available at 4, less stressful that way 

12 hours ago, marcaractac said:

According to scouts, the Bobfather, etc, he is the real deal. Projected top dman. High end skill, defensively responsible. Very much in the conversation with guys like Byram and Makar. 

Elite goalies are lovely, but the league has been moving away from needing an elite franchise goalie for some time now. The days of paying 10+ million for a goalie is dying. Askarov has that type of potential, so let his eventual price tag be another team's future problem. Look at the Habs and how they are saddled with that Price contract. Having two good goalies is becoming more and more important today. That is impossible to pull off if you have to pay one guy 10 million. 

I think it's wiser to construct an elite top four d, have a couple reliable goalies, and keep trimming aging vets and adding youth up front. 

Seider-Drysdale & Hronek-McIsaac. f*** yes. 

Of course, this is assuming we draft 3 or 4, which is highly likely. 

11 hours ago, marcaractac said:

Pretty much what marc is saying.

I mean, look, I'm not gonna be super-picky. We need help everywhere. Byfield would be an enormous boost. Stutzle would be an enormous boost. Drysdale would be an enormous boost. Askarov would be an enormous boost. Lundell would be an enormous boost. I just think it's kind of wonderful that the "worst-case scenario" in the lotto draw would likely still allow us to get a defenseman who would immediately elevate our pool of young defensemen from "decent" to "disgusting." Drysdale is that good, IMO.

1 hour ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

It scares me to think that we're discussing Stutzle, or Drysdale, or Askarov. It means we haven't gotten our s**t together at any position. :wacko:

It's weird. On the one hand, yeah, we're in a deep hole. On the other hand, what we're missing at each position is one really good player (IMO). If we find another Larkin, we're set at center. If we find another Mantha, we're set on the wing(s). If we find another Hronek/Seider, we're set on D. If we find an NHL goalie who doesn't suck, we will have dramatically improved our situation in net.

We're probably getting at least one of those guys in this upcoming draft. Hopefully by July 2021 we will have found at least two of them and we can start talking about the playoffs.

57 minutes ago, Dabura said:

Right. That's the point I'm making with the Drysdale hypothetical. Missing out on Lafreniere would suck, but this year's pool of consolation prizes is going to be unusually deep.

Pretty much what marc is saying.

I mean, look, I'm not gonna be super-picky. We need help everywhere. Byfield would be an enormous boost. Stutzle would be an enormous boost. Drysdale would be an enormous boost. Askarov would be an enormous boost. Lundell would be an enormous boost. I just think it's kind of wonderful that the "worst-case scenario" in the lotto draw would likely still allow us to get a defenseman who would immediately elevate our pool of young defensemen from "decent" to "disgusting." Drysdale is that good, IMO.

And that's only this year. Next year too IMO. Sux to be bad but this team is going to finally have some elite sh-it in a few years . 

On 1/30/2020 at 5:59 PM, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I know Stutzle is the popular pick these days if we don't win the lottery, but I honestly don't see this player projecting out as an NHL center

based on some gut feeling?

watch him play and say that again... I´m not saying that we have to draft him, but he his NHL center material for sure

1 minute ago, Scott R Lucidi said:

We need Lafi bad

Watching the skill on display last night between Edmonton, and Calgary it really shows how far down the ladder we are.

And to think Draisaitl went 3rd overall in 2014...Gives me some hope that the Wings could still draft a franchise player if we don’t win the lottery.

On 2/1/2020 at 4:36 AM, Dabura said:

We're probably getting at least one of those guys in this upcoming draft. Hopefully by July 2021 we will have found at least two of them and we can start talking about the playoffs.

That might be a tad too early, but who knows. This cap league is crazy. Just need to look where the Avs were three years ago and look where they are now. That could be us in a few years.

3 minutes ago, mackel said:

Re. Laffy and the Habs...

Screenshot_20200202-192234_Facebook.jpg

Depends where Montreal's first round pick is. If it's not top four, they can go f*** themselves with that trade. 

If I'm giving up Lafreniere for that package, it's because I can use that pick for Byfield, Drysdale, or Stutzle. 

Edited by marcaractac

17 hours ago, mackel said:

Re. Laffy and the Habs...

Screenshot_20200202-192234_Facebook.jpg

17 hours ago, marcaractac said:

Depends where Montreal's first round pick is. If it's not top four, they can go f*** themselves with that trade. 

If I'm giving up Lafreniere for that package, it's because I can use that pick for Byfield, Drysdale, or Stutzle. 

Like marc, I'd want to know exactly what that 1st is.

Unlike marc, I think I'd have to give this offer some serious thought even if the 1st is outside of the top 3, e.g. 4th or 5th.

Consider:

• Suzuki is the Habs' top center prospect. He's put up 33 points in 54 games as a 20-year-old NHL rookie this season. He shoots right.
  • Romanov is the Habs' top D prospect. He's playing in the KHL and is coming off an outstanding WJC. He's NHL-ready right now. He shoots left.
  • Primeau is the Habs' top G prospect and one of the better goalie prospects out there.

And on top of that, you're (hypothetically) getting a top 2020 prospect, e.g. Drysdale. So, we'd be filling our 2C hole with a guy who's seemingly well on his way to becoming a 1C, we'd be adding a quality LHD prospect who's ready to step into the NHL right now, we'd be adding a quality goalie prospect who's already got a couple of NHL games under his belt, AND we'd be adding a guy like Drysdale or maybe even Stutzle (I'm not at all convinced that Stutzle is a lock for the top 3).

Edited by Dabura