• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Dabura

2020 Draft Thread

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

There are people with a lot more insight and knowledge on all of these prospects than you or I, that aren't convinced that Rossi will translate to the NHL as a center either. 

I highly doubt he drops that far, but I'd be okay with him dropping out of the top 5.

Why does this matter? We shouldn't be in any rush on any of these guys, and NHL readiness should never be a factor in drafting.

Umm what? Physical development is rarely ever linear from one player to another. All players develop and mature at different rates. Some players will grow up to six inches after being drafted, others may not grow at all. Some players will gain 30lbs after being drafted, others might only gain 5.

Also, why would you assume his skating would always be behind his peers? I wouldn't even say it's that far behind now...

This probably isn't true either. If his hockey IQ is so off the charts as so many scouts seem to believe, he's probably already ahead of a lot of NHLers in that area already.

Paragraph 1: Which people?

Paragraph 2: Okay

Paragraph 3: Because I don't want the team to be terrible for 3 or 4 more years before they start to improve.

Paragraph 4: You're talking about outliers. I acknowledge outliers exist but most players don't grow 6 inches or zero inches. Most grow a few. Same with weight.

Paragraph 5: Because everyone else has just as much potential to improve their skating as he does. He won't be developing in a vacuum.

Paragraph 6: I'm skeptical that his understanding of the game is any better than Crosby, Bergeron, Eichel, Matthews, Backstrom, Girioux, Barkov, Malkin, Tavares, Point, Aho, etc. etc. etc. And those are just the top guys in the Eastern Conference. I don't see some sort of Gretzky-esque IQ out of him that those others lack.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Because I don't want the team to be terrible for 3 or 4 more years before they start to improve.

Terrible draft philosophy no matter where you are in the cycle. Always take the player that projects to be better for longer, not the player that projects to be NHL ready sooner.

43 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

You're talking about outliers. I acknowledge outliers exist but most players don't grow 6 inches or zero inches. Most grow a few. Same with weight.

You're assuming neither Rossi or Perfetti are an outlier.

53 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Because everyone else has just as much potential to improve their skating as he does. He won't be developing in a vacuum.

Sure, everyone else has just as much potential to improve on any area of their game. However, I doubt any of the high end skaters are working as hard as someone like Perfetti to improve in that area, who has acknowledged that is something he needs to work on. And already has made strides in the right direction.

56 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

I'm skeptical that his understanding of the game is any better than Crosby, Bergeron, Eichel, Matthews, Backstrom, Girioux, Barkov, Malkin, Tavares, Point, Aho, etc. etc. etc. And those are just the top guys in the Eastern Conference. I don't see some sort of Gretzky-esque IQ out of him that those others lack.

I may have misread this part. I read it as every player he plays in the NHL will have a higher IQ.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OHL Coaches Poll

Smartest Player:

Eastern Conference:
1. Marco Rossi, Ottawa 67’s (41) – finished first in 2018-19
2. Shane Wright, Kingston Frontenacs (17)
3. Akil Thomas, Peterborough Petes (10)

Western Conference:
1. Cole Perfetti, Saginaw Spirit (31)
2. Jamie Drysdale, Erie Otters (27)

3. Connor McMichael, London Knights (22)

Best Playmaker:

Eastern Conference:
1. Marco Rossi, Ottawa 67’s (45)
2. Semyon Der-Arguchintsev, Peterborough Petes (17)
3. Philip Tomasino, Oshawa Generals (16)

Western Conference:
1. Cole Perfetti, Saginaw Spirit (40)
2. Ryan Merkley, London Knights (22)
3. Cam Hillis, Guelph Storm (15)

Best Skater:

Western Conference:
1. Liam Foudy, London Knights (35)
2. Jamie Drysdale, Erie Otters (28) – finished tied for third in 2018-19
3. Jean-Luc Foudy, Windsor Spitfires (18) – finished tied for third in 2018-19

Best Stickhandler:

Western Conference:
1. Cole Perfetti, Saginaw Spirit (31)
2. Evgeniy Oksentyuk, Flint Firebirds (24)
3. Aidan Dudas, Owen Sound Attack (15)

Best on Face-Offs:

Eastern Conference:
1. Zach Gallant, Peterborough Petes (36) – finished second in 2018-19, second in 2017-18 and first in 2016-17
2. Marco Rossi, Ottawa 67’s (23)
3. Cole Schwindt, Mississauga Steelheads (12)

Best Defensive Forward:

Eastern Conference:
1. Kyle MacLean, Oshawa Generals (24) – finished first in 2018-19
2. Marco Rossi, Ottawa 67’s (21)
3. Macauley Carson, Sudbury Wolves (19)

Best Penalty Killer:

Eastern Conference:
1. Kyle MacLean, Oshawa Generals (24)
2. Jacob Paquette, Peterborough Petes (16)
3. Marco Rossi, Ottawa 67’s (15)

Best Offensive Defenceman:

Western Conference:
1. Ryan Merkley, London Knights (41) – finished second in Eastern Conference in 2018-19
2. Jamie Drysdale, Erie Otters (22)
3. Brady Lyle, Owen Sound Attack (15)

Best Shootout Shooter:

Eastern Conference:
1. Marco Rossi, Ottawa 67’s (29)
2. Nick Robertson, Peterborough Petes (23)
3. Philip Tomasino, Oshawa Generals (12)

Western Conference:
1. Cole Perfetti, Saginaw Spirit (25)
2. Liam Hawel, Kitchener Rangers (21)
3. Pavel Gogolev, Guelph Storm (18)

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

As if anyone wasnt getting excited when he went off for 28g in 58 games 

Im getting slack from a neomaxizoomdweebie? Just sayin

Ooh. Ouch. Considering that my moniker is literally an insult from an 80's movie, I feel totally burned.

Dude. Seriously. Lighten up. You're going to rupture an aneurysm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Yeah, this is totally it. I wouldn't even be shocked if Yzerman didn't bother watch him play. I mean, the connections are just too much to pass up on... We all know the ONLY reason Perfetti is being considered at 4, is because Devellano and Osgood are co-owners of the team... It's not like Perfetti is an extremely skilled center, with off the charts hockey IQ...

Again, Perfetti (or Rossi) wouldn't be my first choice(s) at 4, but to pretend that (t)he(y) would be this colossal failure, is absurd...

Is that what I said?  Stop injecting your own narrative and faux outrage on the posts of others.  Did I not say he's a legit prospect... seriously you seem to have a deep seeded need to be a complete prick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, mackel said:

Is that what I said?  Stop injecting your own narrative and faux outrage on the posts of others.  Did I not say he's a legit prospect... seriously you seem to have a deep seeded need to be a complete prick.

LOL you suggested that Yzerman might select a player because of where he plays, rather than how he plays... Please take a second a think about how dumb that sounds...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

LOL you suggested that Yzerman might select a player because of where he plays, rather than how he plays... Please take a second a think about how dumb that sounds...

You should actually read posts before replying... I didn't actually say that did I?  Hence the use of the word "if".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mackel said:

You should actually read posts before replying... I didn't actually say that did I?  Hence the use of the word "if".

You should actually read posts before replying... I didn't actually say that you said that did I? Hence the use of the word "might"...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rossi seems to have more going for him than Perfetti. They both dominate in smarts, playmaking, and shootouts (although Rossi gets a higher percentage of coaches voting). But Perfetti only takes the advantage in stick handling... while Rossi is one of the best penalty killers, defensive forwards, and faceoff men unlike Perfetti. Id also personally give Rossi the advantage on hustle. His hustle is insane. Its like comparing Zberg (Rossi) to Tatar (Perfetti). Tatar is great but hell never be Zberg great. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Rossi seems to have more going for him than Perfetti. They both dominate in smarts, playmaking, and shootouts (although Rossi gets a higher percentage of coaches voting). But Perfetti only takes the advantage in stick handling... while Rossi is one of the best penalty killers, defensive forwards, and faceoff men unlike Perfetti. Id also personally give Rossi the advantage on hustle. His hustle is insane. Its like comparing Zberg (Rossi) to Tatar (Perfetti). Tatar is great but hell never be Zberg great. 

Rossi is definitely a more complete player and more pro ready. Perfetti has great stick handling but it’s not like head and shoulders better than Rossi’s. I honestly like his game more than Stützle. If we were picking in our usual spot of 6 or 7, I would be thrilled with one of Drysdale or Perfetti just not 4. Perfetti just has a lot of potential to bust or not be able to do his dangles thing without elite skating ability. The reason Barzal can exploit it is because the defense has to be cautious that he will just blow past if they over commit. Perfetti or guys like Middlestad don’t have that trait which is why they tend to struggle adjusting to higher competition.  
 

I am not saying it is out of the realm of possibility that Perfetti pulls a Point and becomes a plus skater. However, it’s not a risk I’m willing to take at 4. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, BringBack19 said:

Rossi is definitely a more complete player and more pro ready. Perfetti has great stick handling but it’s not like head and shoulders better than Rossi’s. I honestly like his game more than Stützle. If we were picking in our usual spot of 6 or 7, I would be thrilled with one of Drysdale or Perfetti just not 4. Perfetti just has a lot of potential to bust or not be able to do his dangles thing without elite skating ability. The reason Barzal can exploit it is because the defense has to be cautious that he will just blow past if they over commit. Perfetti or guys like Middlestad don’t have that trait which is why they tend to struggle adjusting to higher competition.  
 

I am not saying it is out of the realm of possibility that Perfetti pulls a Point and becomes a plus skater. However, it’s not a risk I’m willing to take at 4. 

This is pretty much where I'm at as well. I wouldn't be disappointed if we picked Perfetti, but I would definitely be a little nervous. He may be the biggest boom or bust in this entire draft, and we can't afford a player to bust at 4th overall. There are probably three or four guys I'd pick ahead of him at this point.

I do think his lack of skating ability is being vastly overstated, it's a bit choppy, but not slow by any means. However, I do value skating ability as high, or higher than any physical attribute in the game of hockey, so if Yzerman does pick him, he better be damn sure it isn't going to hinder him at all at the next level.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

OHL Coaches Poll

Smartest Player:

Eastern Conference:
1. Marco Rossi, Ottawa 67’s (41) – finished first in 2018-19
2. Shane Wright, Kingston Frontenacs (17)
3. Akil Thomas, Peterborough Petes (10)

Western Conference:
1. Cole Perfetti, Saginaw Spirit (31)
2. Jamie Drysdale, Erie Otters (27)

3. Connor McMichael, London Knights (22)

Best Playmaker:

Eastern Conference:
1. Marco Rossi, Ottawa 67’s (45)
2. Semyon Der-Arguchintsev, Peterborough Petes (17)
3. Philip Tomasino, Oshawa Generals (16)

Western Conference:
1. Cole Perfetti, Saginaw Spirit (40)
2. Ryan Merkley, London Knights (22)
3. Cam Hillis, Guelph Storm (15)

Best Skater:

Western Conference:
1. Liam Foudy, London Knights (35)
2. Jamie Drysdale, Erie Otters (28) – finished tied for third in 2018-19
3. Jean-Luc Foudy, Windsor Spitfires (18) – finished tied for third in 2018-19

Best Stickhandler:

Western Conference:
1. Cole Perfetti, Saginaw Spirit (31)
2. Evgeniy Oksentyuk, Flint Firebirds (24)
3. Aidan Dudas, Owen Sound Attack (15)

Best on Face-Offs:

Eastern Conference:
1. Zach Gallant, Peterborough Petes (36) – finished second in 2018-19, second in 2017-18 and first in 2016-17
2. Marco Rossi, Ottawa 67’s (23)
3. Cole Schwindt, Mississauga Steelheads (12)

Best Defensive Forward:

Eastern Conference:
1. Kyle MacLean, Oshawa Generals (24) – finished first in 2018-19
2. Marco Rossi, Ottawa 67’s (21)
3. Macauley Carson, Sudbury Wolves (19)

Best Penalty Killer:

Eastern Conference:
1. Kyle MacLean, Oshawa Generals (24)
2. Jacob Paquette, Peterborough Petes (16)
3. Marco Rossi, Ottawa 67’s (15)

Best Offensive Defenceman:

Western Conference:
1. Ryan Merkley, London Knights (41) – finished second in Eastern Conference in 2018-19
2. Jamie Drysdale, Erie Otters (22)
3. Brady Lyle, Owen Sound Attack (15)

Best Shootout Shooter:

Eastern Conference:
1. Marco Rossi, Ottawa 67’s (29)
2. Nick Robertson, Peterborough Petes (23)
3. Philip Tomasino, Oshawa Generals (12)

Western Conference:
1. Cole Perfetti, Saginaw Spirit (25)
2. Liam Hawel, Kitchener Rangers (21)
3. Pavel Gogolev, Guelph Storm (18)

 

 

 

Whole lot of Marco Rossi on that list. This kid is a beast. Not often you’re a top offensive, defensive, special teams, AND face off guy in your respective league. Unless you’re Ryan O’Reilly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Rossi seems to have more going for him than Perfetti. They both dominate in smarts, playmaking, and shootouts (although Rossi gets a higher percentage of coaches voting). But Perfetti only takes the advantage in stick handling... while Rossi is one of the best penalty killers, defensive forwards, and faceoff men unlike Perfetti. Id also personally give Rossi the advantage on hustle. His hustle is insane. Its like comparing Zberg (Rossi) to Tatar (Perfetti). Tatar is great but hell never be Zberg great. 

He’s had to hustle to get by in the big big world , paid off 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/17/2020 at 5:21 PM, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

OHL Coaches Poll

Smartest Player:

Eastern Conference:
1. Marco Rossi, Ottawa 67’s (41) – finished first in 2018-19
2. Shane Wright, Kingston Frontenacs (17)
3. Akil Thomas, Peterborough Petes (10)

Western Conference:
1. Cole Perfetti, Saginaw Spirit (31)
2. Jamie Drysdale, Erie Otters (27)

3. Connor McMichael, London Knights (22)

Best Playmaker:

Eastern Conference:
1. Marco Rossi, Ottawa 67’s (45)
2. Semyon Der-Arguchintsev, Peterborough Petes (17)
3. Philip Tomasino, Oshawa Generals (16)

Western Conference:
1. Cole Perfetti, Saginaw Spirit (40)
2. Ryan Merkley, London Knights (22)
3. Cam Hillis, Guelph Storm (15)

Best Skater:

Western Conference:
1. Liam Foudy, London Knights (35)
2. Jamie Drysdale, Erie Otters (28) – finished tied for third in 2018-19
3. Jean-Luc Foudy, Windsor Spitfires (18) – finished tied for third in 2018-19

Best Stickhandler:

Western Conference:
1. Cole Perfetti, Saginaw Spirit (31)
2. Evgeniy Oksentyuk, Flint Firebirds (24)
3. Aidan Dudas, Owen Sound Attack (15)

Best on Face-Offs:

Eastern Conference:
1. Zach Gallant, Peterborough Petes (36) – finished second in 2018-19, second in 2017-18 and first in 2016-17
2. Marco Rossi, Ottawa 67’s (23)
3. Cole Schwindt, Mississauga Steelheads (12)

Best Defensive Forward:

Eastern Conference:
1. Kyle MacLean, Oshawa Generals (24) – finished first in 2018-19
2. Marco Rossi, Ottawa 67’s (21)
3. Macauley Carson, Sudbury Wolves (19)

Best Penalty Killer:

Eastern Conference:
1. Kyle MacLean, Oshawa Generals (24)
2. Jacob Paquette, Peterborough Petes (16)
3. Marco Rossi, Ottawa 67’s (15)

Best Offensive Defenceman:

Western Conference:
1. Ryan Merkley, London Knights (41) – finished second in Eastern Conference in 2018-19
2. Jamie Drysdale, Erie Otters (22)
3. Brady Lyle, Owen Sound Attack (15)

Best Shootout Shooter:

Eastern Conference:
1. Marco Rossi, Ottawa 67’s (29)
2. Nick Robertson, Peterborough Petes (23)
3. Philip Tomasino, Oshawa Generals (12)

Western Conference:
1. Cole Perfetti, Saginaw Spirit (25)
2. Liam Hawel, Kitchener Rangers (21)
3. Pavel Gogolev, Guelph Storm (18)

 

 

 

My question is, where is Byfield in all this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Byfield isnt that good. But he has a big frame and raw athleticism. Everyone is hoping he will grow into that. Big risk if you ask me. Id be more comfortable taking Rossi or Stutzle at 2nd overall. 

Interesting take.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Byfield isnt that good. But he has a big frame and raw athleticism. Everyone is hoping he will grow into that. Big risk if you ask me. Id be more comfortable taking Rossi or Stutzle at 2nd overall. 

 

7 hours ago, F.Michael said:

Interesting take.

AKA bad take...

Byfield is an absolute beast. He's one of the youngest players in this draft class (just turned 18 a month ago). Rossi, on the other hand, is one of the oldest players in this draft class (will turn 19 in three days). A year is a huge difference at the age of 17/18.

Byfield put up 82 points in 45 games (1.822 points per game) this season. At the same age, Rossi put up 65 points in 53 games (1.226 points per game) last season. He exploded this past season for 120 points in 56 games (2.143 points per game), and I'd expect the same sort of explosion from Byfield next season, at the same age.

Rossi may be closer to NHL ready, but I'd bet on Byfield being the better player long-term. Don't mistake any of this as a knock against Rossi, because it's not at all. Rossi is a great prospect, and I'd be happy to get him at 4th overall (not my first choice), but if Byfield somehow drops to 4, he's the easy pick over Rossi or anyone else available there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Byfield isnt that good. But he has a big frame and raw athleticism. Everyone is hoping he will grow into that. Big risk if you ask me. Id be more comfortable taking Rossi or Stutzle at 2nd overall. 

This coming from the "diversity" guy.

 

I would have no qualms taking Byfield as I think he's the 2nd best player in the draft.

My takes:

Stutzle: not a full time center at the NHL level. You might very well be getting a Michal Handzus caliber player, but I want better in the top 5.

Rossi: talent out the wazoo. Have concerns about his size playing against much larger men.

Drysdale: Don't need another RHD and next year may have better options there.

Perfetti: serious concerns about his bust potential. Not an NHL center. Skating issues. High hockey IQ, but poor on defense? Defense is more mental than physical. A player with a high hockey IQ should already be good at defense. Just don't think his game translates to the NHL. Think you're getting Tatar at best, or another Pulkinnen at worst.

Byfield is actually the one I am least concerned about.

Edited by Neomaxizoomdweebie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

My takes:

Stutzle: not a full time center at the NHL level. You might very well be getting a Michal Handzus caliber player, but I want better in the top 5.

I don't see any reason to believe Stutzle won't develop into a quality NHL center. I think he could be the Elias Pettersson to come out of this draft. Handzus may be the most obscure player comparison I've heard of Stutzle...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

I don't see any reason to believe Stutzle won't develop into a quality NHL center. I think he could be the Elias Pettersson to come out of this draft. Handzus may be the most obscure player comparison I've heard of Stutzle...

Solid 2-way player. Can play wing or center. Can be used on a scoring line or checking line. The kind of player you want on your team, but doesn't really move the needle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Solid 2-way player. Can play wing or center. Can be used on a scoring line or checking line. The kind of player you want on your team, but doesn't really move the needle.

Ok. I disagree with your assessment of Stutzle. I still don't see the comparison at all, and I think he will absolutely be a needle mover. One of the most dynamic, creative players in this draft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

 

AKA bad take...

Byfield is an absolute beast. He's one of the youngest players in this draft class (just turned 18 a month ago). Rossi, on the other hand, is one of the oldest players in this draft class (will turn 19 in three days). A year is a huge difference at the age of 17/18.

Byfield put up 82 points in 45 games (1.822 points per game) this season. At the same age, Rossi put up 65 points in 53 games (1.226 points per game) last season. He exploded this past season for 120 points in 56 games (2.143 points per game), and I'd expect the same sort of explosion from Byfield next season, at the same age.

Rossi may be closer to NHL ready, but I'd bet on Byfield being the better player long-term. Don't mistake any of this as a knock against Rossi, because it's not at all. Rossi is a great prospect, and I'd be happy to get him at 4th overall (not my first choice), but if Byfield somehow drops to 4, he's the easy pick over Rossi or anyone else available there.

Cannot remember where I had seen the comparison, but Byfield’s upside is thought to be about the same as Malkin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

 

AKA bad take...

Byfield is an absolute beast. He's one of the youngest players in this draft class (just turned 18 a month ago). Rossi, on the other hand, is one of the oldest players in this draft class (will turn 19 in three days). A year is a huge difference at the age of 17/18.

Byfield put up 82 points in 45 games (1.822 points per game) this season. At the same age, Rossi put up 65 points in 53 games (1.226 points per game) last season. He exploded this past season for 120 points in 56 games (2.143 points per game), and I'd expect the same sort of explosion from Byfield next season, at the same age.

Rossi may be closer to NHL ready, but I'd bet on Byfield being the better player long-term. Don't mistake any of this as a knock against Rossi, because it's not at all. Rossi is a great prospect, and I'd be happy to get him at 4th overall (not my first choice), but if Byfield somehow drops to 4, he's the easy pick over Rossi or anyone else available there.

Rossi had that explosion because he's one of the most gifted, smartest, and hardest working players in the league. You can't say the same for Byfield. The coaches don't even say this. Your fabled explosion is a nice story - but that's all it is - a story.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now