• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
LeftWinger

2021 Off-Season (Too Soon?)

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

Is it too soon to be talking about this summer? With the last couple of weeks of snow and cold here in Michigan, I think it's a great time to start talking about summer.

Let's start with available UFA's. Instead of listing a whole bunch, here the link to Cap Friendly's list:

https://www.capfriendly.com/browse/free-agents/2022/caphit/all/all/ufa

I honestly don't see Yzerman landing many (if any) impact UFA's, because I think a couple of kids coming in will be an upgrade in itself.  When it comes to our own UFA's, I am hoping for most to hit the road (if they weren't traded at the TDL.) Honestly though, I can see Yzerman re-signing Ryan (if he wants to stay (and not traded)) and maybe Merrill and, yes, Staal. Maybe none, I wouldn't be surprised either way.  In the G department, there isn't many out there better than Bernier (that would come here) so I can see Bernier coming back for a year or two, and I think most of us would be ok with that. (this is all depending on who was and who wasn't selected by Seattle and who may or may not be traded.) Helm and Filppula have to go (IMO) and I do believe the Gagner experiment is over too.  I would choose Staal over Nemeth, but you never know what will happen if DD is done, he may re-sign both. Unless someone other than Seider is ready to come in. You would think that Cholowski and Lindstrom would be getting some looks this season (especially since we suck and we should just consider this a 56 game training camp/pre-season) but that is up to Blashill on who plays and doesn't, so, once again, I blame him for everything. I would also offer Glenny another contract.

RFA-wise, we have a lot of them Erne, Djoss, Hronek, Bertuzzi, Cholowski, Lindstrom, Svech, Brome, Rasmussen, Hirose, Smith, Turgeon, Smith and Hicketts. A few of these names are slam dunks to get contracts, a lot of the others depend on if they aren't selected by Seattle. BUT, there is quite the possiblility they all get qualified and re-signed.

Obviously we want to draft the highest possible. Right now, only Ottawa is worse than us winning percentage, so that puts at #2, but barely, we could end up worst again. Let's hope that the league does the right thing and makes the bottom 5 teams be the only ones to have a shot at #1, and only being able to fall one spot. That is my hope. Also teams that finish out of the top 5 should only be able to climb 2 spots at the most. Not saying this is what might happen, just throwing an idea out there. Here are a couple of top 10 lists:

image.png.11f6150bc07aa2485398fe9d9abf89e8.png

image.png.039bff43ad70d96c5f5ab029a77a638a.png

image.png.19f20562ab53efbc377d0b34b5a440a5.png

...a bit of a mix up in all of those, but for you U of M fans, you are well represented in the top 10! (Even Luke Hughes has committed to U of M.)

AND of course, my ultimate off season upgrade is to FIRE ALL of the coaching staff (yesterday!) and get a whole new philosophy in here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wings3:16 said:

Never too late, with this dumpster fire of a team!

I find it interesting Gallant is still unsigned - I wonder if they have an agreement in place, but that may be a pipe dream

I believe everything that WE think and hope should happen, is just that, pipe dreams. I am waiting for the shock and awe...kinda like when we woke up in July 2008 and saw that Hossa signed here. I am just drained with this team...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sign Gallant, draft Beniers. If Beniers is off the board draft Johnson. If he's off the board draft Power/Hughes. If they're off the board draft Raty/Eklund.

I kinda love the idea of hiring the coach with the fastest, most relentlessly offensive, in-your-face, system of hockey to coach a top top six featuring Larkin, Beniers, Raymond, Zadina, and Bert.

Also, maybe trade Mantha because he's a big puss.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://redwingspipeline.com/fixing-nhl-draft-lottery/  

Looks like they’ll be tweaking the lottery again (per LeBrun) in the new scenario given where we’ll no doubt finish this season we shouldn’t pick later then 3rd.  It also talks lightly about Yzerman being very vocal to the league about the shortfalls of the draft.  No telling what’s going to happen yet but it’s looking like our odds should definitely improve

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Is there another pro sports league that has this much of an issue with the draft. This really shouldn't be too hard, just draft in reverse order.

It’s pretty ridiculous.  What happened this past year IMO made a mockery of the NHL’s the entire draft system.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 13dangledangle said:

https://redwingspipeline.com/fixing-nhl-draft-lottery/  

Looks like they’ll be tweaking the lottery again (per LeBrun) in the new scenario given where we’ll no doubt finish this season we shouldn’t pick later then 3rd.  It also talks lightly about Yzerman being very vocal to the league about the shortfalls of the draft.  No telling what’s going to happen yet but it’s looking like our odds should definitely improve

 

Until the league decided to also add the "nobody gets a top 3 pick in consecutive years" clause, which would f*** the Wings even more. I can understand no back to back first overall picks. But no top 3 two years in a row is ridiculous. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, marcaractac said:

Until the league decided to also add the "nobody gets a top 3 pick in consecutive years" clause, which would f*** the Wings even more. I can understand no back to back first overall picks. But no top 3 two years in a row is ridiculous. 

That's a classic NHL solution isn't it...  acknowledge that your current system screwed a team multiple times (surprise, surprise Detroit) then go out of your way to "fix" that problem with a solution designed to F@#$ that same team and it's fan base in a new and exciting way.

I love hockey and the Wings, but I'm barely hanging on... if this scenario were to play out, I think that would finish off my fandom.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They're just throwing good money after bad. They have a convoluted system that makes no sense, and then to fix the idiocy of this convoluted system, they made it MORE convoluted. You don't need tanking protection. Teams that suck every single year and therefore drafted really high year after year are terrible despite having Hall, RNH, McDavid, Eichel, Dahlin, etc. It's not like they're gaining some advantage. They still suck because their organizations are trash.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, marcaractac said:

Until the league decided to also add the "nobody gets a top 3 pick in consecutive years" clause, which would f*** the Wings even more. I can understand no back to back first overall picks. But no top 3 two years in a row is ridiculous. 

I thought that was off point too, I skimmed through the article though and thought it said the top pick not top 3...yeah that’s BS as well.  obviously everything isn’t going to go our way, but in the past few years absolutely nothing has so somethings gotta give 
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, kipwinger said:

Is there another pro sports league that has this much of an issue with the draft. This really shouldn't be too hard, just draft in reverse order.

>Wings fans ***** every year that the Oilers get all the #1s
>Wings fan ***** now that they can't be like the Oilers and get all the #1s

I'm absolutely on board with you. Just go back to the simple reverse order draft system. But now they've created false hype around this draft lottery night thing and I think they like that they managed to build a new thing we get to watch on TV for somehow a whole 30 minutes plus. Didn't they split into two parts this year too? Reallllly trying to artificially lengthen it lol

But also remember:

"Reverse drafting IS communism"
- Wayne Gretsky, 1980 something

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

they also need to make it to where team 12 cannot jump to #1 again. IMO, anyone between 6-15 should not get a #1 OA.

Honestly, I wouldn't be too upset with the "no top 3 in consecutive drafts" The last place team would just drop automatically to #4.

The last 5 picks at #4:

16 - Puljujarvi

17 - Makar

18 - Tkachuk

19 - Byram

20 - Raymond

Then they next season they would be able to get a top 3 pick if they are awarded.

Edited by LeftWinger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, for the draft is it C, D or G?

 

C = I think he goes Eklund

D = It's a toss up Power or Hughes. Which one do you prefer?

G = Well, every ranking system I see, Wallstedt is in the top 5, does Yzerman take a gamble on a Goalie in the top 3? I know the general idea is you don't take a goalie that high, but MAF went, and he had a pretty good career. If we drafted a G and he had MAF numbers and results, I'll take it.

(BTW, you KNOW we're getting a top 3 this season after the NHL system screwed us and all the talk of changes. I do not expect a #1, and barely expect a #2. I think that if #3 is the furthest we can fall, then that is what will happen. Can't have a 25 year playoff run in Detroit again...)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/18/2021 at 6:09 PM, Wings3:16 said:

Never too late, with this dumpster fire of a team!

I find it interesting Gallant is still unsigned - I wonder if they have an agreement in place, but that may be a pipe dream

Normally I would agree, but these two were literally line-mates, and from my understanding good friends. I have always thought this to be the case. I do think Gallant will be our coach in 2021/22.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, kliq said:

Normally I would agree, but these two were literally line-mates, and from my understanding good friends. I have always thought this to be the case. I do think Gallant will be our coach in 2021/22.

I hope so, but just like any other business venture, you shouldn't hire your friends or family to do the job because one day you will have to fire them. Of course, there probably isn't anyone that isn't or hasn't been a friend to Yzerman. I'm still holding out hope on Larionov. Currently he is HC of the Russian junior team.

Edited by LeftWinger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

I hope so, but just like any other business venture, you shouldn't hire your friends or family to do the job because one day you will have to fire them. Of course, there probably isn't anyone that isn't or hasn't been a friend to Yzerman. I'm still holding out hope on Larionov. Currently he is HC of the Russian junior team.

I definitely see what you are saying, but when your friend is the best option out there, you are doing a disservice to the team by not hiring him. This isnt a situation where Yzerman is hiring a no name to coach simply because they are friends.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

I hope so, but just like any other business venture, you shouldn't hire your friends or family to do the job because one day you will have to fire them. Of course, there probably isn't anyone that isn't or hasn't been a friend to Yzerman. I'm still holding out hope on Larionov. Currently he is HC of the Russian junior team.

Larionov was always a cerebral player. You can't teach that. Same reason Lids isn't coaching.

6 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

So, for the draft is it C, D or G?

 

C = I think he goes Eklund

D = It's a toss up Power or Hughes. Which one do you prefer?

G = Well, every ranking system I see, Wallstedt is in the top 5, does Yzerman take a gamble on a Goalie in the top 3? I know the general idea is you don't take a goalie that high, but MAF went, and he had a pretty good career. If we drafted a G and he had MAF numbers and results, I'll take it.

(BTW, you KNOW we're getting a top 3 this season after the NHL system screwed us and all the talk of changes. I do not expect a #1, and barely expect a #2. I think that if #3 is the furthest we can fall, then that is what will happen. Can't have a 25 year playoff run in Detroit again...)

Definitely not a goalie. BPA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, ely s said:

Krupp is a waste of space

Krupp took Berlin to the finals not too long ago. Now he's gonna turn around Cologne with Landon Ferraro, Pogge, James Sheppard, and a 19 year old Barinka. You'll eat those words like spoiled kraut.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this