J Hughes

3 minutes ago, redw1ngs said:

Larkin

Boldy / Nazar

not sure. Eichel in his draft-1 season?

J Hughes

Larkin

Nazar

Eichel (My mistake, I didn't look closely enough and assumed that was his draft year)

Hughes

Other notable Development program centers:

Zegras:

USHL: 1.48 ppg

USDP: 1.45 ppg

Keller:

USHL: 1.6 ppg

USDP: 1.7 ppg

The point of all this? Nazar is a very good center whose offense is in line with some of the better centers in the world (at the same age). If you can get this guy at 10-15 in the draft you don't overthink it.

56 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Larkin

Nazar

Eichel (My mistake, I didn't look closely enough and assumed that was his draft year)

Hughes

Zegras:

Keller:

The point of all this? Nazar is a very good center whose offense is in line with some of the better centers in the world (at the same age). If you can get this guy at 10-15 in the draft you don't overthink it.

We land a guy like Nazar and I'll start feeling really good about the center postion. Neiderbach is showing potential too. While I don't see him as a 2C, he'll definitely add to the depth chart. 

Of course, I also wouldn't hate to see the team have a one-off awful season and win the Bedard sweepstakes either. 

1 hour ago, marcaractac said:

We land a guy like Nazar and I'll start feeling really good about the center postion. Neiderbach is showing potential too. While I don't see him as a 2C, he'll definitely add to the depth chart. 

Of course, I also wouldn't hate to see the team have a one-off awful season and win the Bedard sweepstakes either. 

I'm completely finished watching bad hockey. With Larkin playing the way he is, and with the emergence of our other top end young players, I don't think a Bedard is necessary. Besides, with the new rule changes you can only move up 10 spots max. We're going to finish around 12-15th this season. Next season we should be the same or better. So even if we won the lottery we couldn't move up high enough to take Bedard.

As far as our center pipeline, we should be able to completely turn it around with the picks we currently have. There are lots of good centers coming along this year in the draft. A few guys I'd target by round:

Round 1: Nazar, Kasper

Round 2: Ostlund, Bystedt

Round 3: Kaskimaki, Ronni

Round 4: Sjodin

58 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

I'm completely finished watching bad hockey. With Larkin playing the way he is, and with the emergence of our other top end young players, I don't think a Bedard is necessary. Besides, with the new rule changes you can only move up 10 spots max. We're going to finish around 12-15th this season. Next season we should be the same or better. So even if we won the lottery we couldn't move up high enough to take Bedard.

As far as our center pipeline, we should be able to completely turn it around with the picks we currently have. There are lots of good centers coming along this year in the draft. A few guys I'd target by round:

12-15? from the bottom I assume? Even thats a tad ambitious imo. We currently sit 10 with the hardest schedule to end the season. 8-11 is a little more reasonable expectation imo. Id like to think we win the lottery to get Wright but with our draft lottery luck that aint happenin. Id be happy with Nazar if we stick in that range tho.

2 minutes ago, redw1ngs said:

12-15? from the bottom I assume? Even thats a tad ambitious imo. We currently sit 10 with the hardest schedule to end the season. 8-11 is a little more reasonable expectation imo. Id like to think we win the lottery to get Wright but with our draft lottery luck that aint happenin. Id be happy with Nazar if we stick in that range tho.

All the better if we pick earlier, but we're closer in points to the teams above us than the teams below us. We have a pretty tough schedule for the next little bit, but it evens out over the rest of the season. Down the stretch we play:

Bad/Mediocre teams: Ottawa (three times), New Jersey (twice), Vancouver, Seattle, Philly, Columbus, Arizona, Winnipeg, NYI, and Edmonton.

Lower End Playoff Teams: Pittsburgh (twice), Boston, Calgary, Rangers (twice)

Lots of winnable games coming up against bad/mediocre teams. And we maybe will go .500 against the lower end playoff tems. Quite a lot of those bad teams are going to be in tank mode at that point too (whereas we'll only really be losing Leddy and Namestnikov). I think it's more likely that we gain a few more points in the standings than lose ground to the teams that are worse than we are, but that's just a guess.

1 hour ago, redw1ngs said:

I agree with Kip - we're very much middle of the pack right now, even if that's the low end of the middle pack, we're still in that group. It'll be hard to sink much farther.

I guess it will sorta depend how this TDL goes. Like if we ditch Stecher, Staal, and Leddy at the deadline, our already bad defense will look like this:

Dekeyser - Seider
Oesterle - Hronek
Renouf - Lindstrom

That's a recipe for Ned and Greiss to get torched every night.

If SY does something crazy like trade Bertuzzi that would be a big blow as well too IMO.

My honest prediction though is he trades Namestnikov and Leddy, and that's it. Maybe Stecher too if someone likes him for a low cost depth option.

6 hours ago, kipwinger said:

Larkin

Nazar

Hughes

Zegras:

Keller:

I’m sold!

39 minutes ago, bIueadams said:

I agree with Kip - we're very much middle of the pack right now, even if that's the low end of the middle pack, we're still in that group. It'll be hard to sink much farther.

I guess it will sorta depend how this TDL goes. Like if we ditch Stecher, Staal, and Leddy at the deadline, our already bad defense will look like this:

Dekeyser - Seider
Oesterle - Hronek
Renouf - Lindstrom

If SY does something crazy like trade Bertuzzi that would be a big blow as well too IMO.

My honest prediction though is he trades Namestnikov and Leddy, and that's it. Maybe Stecher too if someone likes him for a low cost depth option.

I dont think Bert gets traded. He is too well liked by his teammates, and trading him just opens up another hole to fill. That would be a bad decision.

3 hours ago, kipwinger said:

Oh, I don't disagree at all. Like, I don't wanna see any sort of regression. And I'd rather push for playoffs than finish in the basement. 

But if I had a crystal ball that said if the team sucks one last time, Bedard is a sure thing, I'd allow it. It's all fantasy, I know. 

1 hour ago, bIueadams said:

Dekeyser - Seider
Oesterle - Hronek
Renouf - Lindstrom

Pretty unlikely Bert is traded at the deadline this year (or at all really). Next year would be more likely when he's expiring, and IF it seems like he doesn't wanna sign in Detroit again. Only way I see it happening this year is IF a contender wanted to overpay in young talent to win now. If Colorado wanted to throw us Newhook and a decent pick for Bert I'd strongly consider it if I was SY. But it would have to be something like that. Even then it comes with risks. I've said before, GMs have to take into account personalities as well. Not a great way to maintain team cohesion if SY trades away all of Larkin's buddies right as it's looking like we'll be good again.

5 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Pretty unlikely Bert is traded at the deadline this year (or at all really). Next year would be more likely when he's expiring, and IF it seems like he doesn't wanna sign in Detroit again. Only way I see it happening this year is IF a contender wanted to overpay in young talent to win now. If Colorado wanted to throw us Newhook and a decent pick for Bert I'd strongly consider it if I was SY. But it would have to be something like that. Even then it comes with risks. I've said before, GMs have to take into account personalities as well. Not a great way to maintain team cohesion if SY trades away all of Larkin's buddies right as it's looking like we'll be good again.

I absolutely do not want to trade Bert.

But extension talks for him need to start this summer, and probably secure something by Christmas 2022. If that doesn't get done we can start fielding offers on him.

5 hours ago, bIueadams said:

I absolutely do not want to trade Bert.

But extension talks for him need to start this summer, and probably secure something by Christmas 2022. If that doesn't get done we can start fielding offers on him.

Sure, and I presume that’s SY strategy unless a package comes along that knocks his socks off (like the Mantha deal). Bert is a heart and soul guy, but he’s also a valuable commodity. Steve is gonna do his best to sign Bert long term and if he can’t he’s not gonna let him walk for free.

Check out this kid: Danila Yurov RW

Not sure about his defense, but he's a really strong attacker. Loves to attack, to the point it seems unnecessary at times. Often catches the defense by surprise totally off guard. The rest of the team can do nothing but stand there and watch as he invades the zone. Excellent at finding space and claiming it for himself. And loves to shoot. Drops nothing but bombs. Really controls all the energy in every game he plays. 

Only issue is he takes a lot of penalties and has some league sanctions against him for this. Doesn't seem well liked which could mean some character issues. 

His stock seems to have dropped a bit lately but IDK how anyone could protest against this choice. 

Edited by bIueadams

Not sure about posting links and stuff.  Kill me otherwise.

https://www.tsn.ca/ivan-miroshnichenko-2022-nhl-draft-russia-1.1765792

Pretty vague and puzzling to me.   Could this be about Ukraine fallout somehow.  You guys are hockey smarter than me.   Coach me up!

update: kid has hodgkin's lymphoma

Edited by town123
updated news

3 hours ago, town123 said:

Not sure about posting links and stuff.  Kill me otherwise.

https://www.tsn.ca/ivan-miroshnichenko-2022-nhl-draft-russia-1.1765792

Pretty vague and puzzling to me.   Could this be about Ukraine fallout somehow.  You guys are hockey smarter than me.   Coach me up!

update: kid has hodgkin's lymphoma

Having cancer, he will be lucky to get drafted unless there is assurance that he is in long term remission. Even then, he would probably go late to a team willing to take the risk.

2 hours ago, town123 said:

If Ivan is still around in the 4th round ( I doubt it ) I hope we draft him.  I mean at what point do you spend a pick on a kid who should have gone top 10?

I hope picks 3-7 are all high ranked russians this year. 

Ok, after the recent stretch of garbage, we sit with 9 teams under us.  I'd say 4 of those could very easily pass us, 3 of them should but wont pass us, and 3 of them cant actually pass us.  So if we tank hard enough, I could see us finishing 6th to last at worst and 4th to last at best.  Does Uncle Gary get us in the top 3 if we are 6th to last?  Picking up Wright would be HUGE for this team.  I hate seeing the Wings lose, but they need a big pick up this draft.

17 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Ok, after the recent stretch of garbage, we sit with 9 teams under us.  I'd say 4 of those could very easily pass us, 3 of them should but wont pass us, and 3 of them cant actually pass us.  So if we tank hard enough, I could see us finishing 6th to last at worst and 4th to last at best.  Does Uncle Gary get us in the top 3 if we are 6th to last?  Picking up Wright would be HUGE for this team.  I hate seeing the Wings lose, but they need a big pick up this draft.

My worries are with the draft lottery...Seeing how we got screwed 4/6 times.